Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

so far so good
i like it!! :grin:

I really like that nationality matters. And unfortunately, Iā€™m not surprised in the least. Even people who are ā€œwell-meaningā€ can be hurtful. My mom was born in Central America, she came to the US for college when she was 18, graduating suma cum laude, got her Masterā€™s Degree, has gone on to be very successful in her career and people still have the audacity to tell her things like ā€œWow! Iā€™m impressed you can speak English so well!ā€ Or people will tell us (her, my sister and me) that weā€™re not really hispanic or they donā€™t think of us as hispanic as if thatā€™s some sort of compliment :angry: Iā€™ve occasionally gotten remarks about going back to my country (even though I was born here and speak perfect English. In fact, I barely speak any spanish). One time when I was 3 or 4 this lady accused me of shop lifting when I walked out of the store to show my mom this cute doll they had that I wanted her to buy me. When my mother tried to clear up the misunderstanding the woman yelled at us and told her ā€œthatā€™s how your kind startsā€ and then went on to say how dare we do that because weā€™re lucky to be in this country in the first place, were we even here legally etc etc. My mom was speechless with fury but when my dad saw what was going onā€¦ Well, heā€™s a ridiculously tall athletic white guy, and when he came over to yell at her for being so disgustingly rude to his daughter and wife she had a lot less to say :stuck_out_tongue: On my first day of college when I mentioned I was hispanic this kid in my dorm asked me if my family hopped the border. When I asked him to clarify he said ā€œare you here illegally,ā€ and when I told him no, he goes ā€œAre you sure.ā€ I thought he might be joking at first. He wasnā€™t. But weā€™re the lucky ones. These microaggressions are annoying, but not nearly as bad as what many people have to go through.

One of the most hurtful things I remember was when my mom became a US citizen, outside of the building where the ceremony was taking place people were holding a protest against immigration. I just remember being so upset and confused. I didnā€™t understand why these people didnā€™t want my mom to be a part of our country. How they could hate her without even knowing her? Without knowing how she always stayed up late to take care of me when I was sick, bringing me water and cold wash cloths, how she sang me to sleep when I was scared of the monsters in my closet, how her and my dad coached all of my sports teams when I was little, how much I and everyone else who knows her loves her. When youā€™re little youā€™re taught this idealized version of the American Dream. Youā€™re taught to believe the symbol of the statue of liberty and that the country really believes in the words inscribed on her, ā€œGive me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe freeā€¦ā€ and I guess for the first time, I started to realize that wasnā€™t true. I understand the issue of immigration is complicated, but all that 6 year old me saw was people yelling at her mom.

ANYWAYS that whole long tangent was to say that I LOVE that youā€™re bringing nationality into this. Whenever I shared these kinds of stories with friends who never experienced that sort of thing and were therefore not concerned about it, they were shocked that anti-immigration sentiments were hurting people they actually know and care about. And my stories arenā€™t even remotely close to the worst ones out there! I hope that your game opens up a few peopleā€™s eyes and maybe get them thinking about things they had not considered too deeply before :slight_smile: I know that itā€™s obviously not the main focus of the game, but just calling attention to it is extremely helpful

10 Likes

As an Americanthat was born an raised gere I will say it right now.
I want to move to switzerland.
America isnā€™t all that amazing to me. (I do not get the appeal) those people were rude though. They seem mean.

1 Like

@Goshman

Can you point out a hero or villain using the different types of costumes? In other words, can you point out to a hero/villain using a fancy costume, a hero/villain using utilitarian outfit, and so on.

Do you mean can we tell what clothes other powered people have? Because Iā€™m pretty sure we can :slight_smile: Weā€™ve only met the two others so far but we got descriptions of what they were wearing, canā€™t remember exactly what the vigilante guy was wearing, but I know it was described to us. I do know that the woman had the classic spandex costume on.

Edit: oops I think I completely misunderstood your question. My bad!

1 Like

Omg, are you the guy that made lords of aswick, i love that game, and also can you add this power, animal fusion, i think it would be cool!

Love the game!

@alliebee
I will not even attempt to claim that I will end up doing justice to any of the minorities or in some cases majorities that will be present with issues in this story. There will be occasions where such matters will be popping up, but the focus will be on the heroes and/or villains and the powers themselves already provide enough reasons to dislike the MC. The background will provide more ammo for different groups to come after you. That much is certain.

@CaballeroDeAndromeda
Fancy: Something theatrical, such as Doctor Strange. Or something simply dress-y, such as suits worn by the Joker or the Kingpin.
Classic: Superman, Shazam, Aquaman. Tights with underwear on the outside.
Utilitarian: Punisher, Batman (modern, with more armour-like suit), to some extent even Captain America fits this.
Casual: Superboy is the perfect example, as is the jeans-wearing New 52 early-days Superman.

@Nukeboom123
I am indeed.
Iā€™m not sure about animal fusion. If I find a way to actually make it useful and fit in. I may in fact end up cutting aquatic adaptation for the very same reason.

3 Likes

Noooo, aquatic adaptation and animal fusion are my favourite powers ever!

Maybe animal fusion for transport or spying?

Aquatic adaptation is useful for any situations where we have to hold our breath
Also does a suit sunglasses and tie fit under fancy
Like men in black-esque

A water powered villain that traps you in a water bubble maybe?

No problem. Actually, before I posted the question I re-read what I had written and came to the same conclusion you did. I was going to add ā€œfrom the comicsā€ somewhere in the post but I got distracted and when I came back I just hit ā€œReplyā€. My bad. :pensive:

Yeah, aquatic adaptation seems out of place when you look at the list of powers. None of the other powers compliment or are complimented by it. Maybe you can combine aquatic adaptation, thermal resistance, and aerial adaptation into one adaptation power. Similar to what Darwin had in X-Men: First Class.

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/choiceofgames/original/2X/d/db1d4d9b5f27674dd0c7e9e781b5bae0818d58fa.png

And this is the reason i never wear capes!

6 Likes

Also, try to make the relationships and romance feel real and not be dull husks, make them have personality and spend time making them, becouse we want romance we can do fanwars over!

1 Like

I agree with Cabellero about combining thermal resistance and aerial adaption considering they do the same thing and you have to have both currently to make flying viable.

I wish lurkers would start talking, the threads would be more lively then, and i want to know, will there be character customisation and costume customisation?

Weā€™re just waiting for Goshman to give us updates (which he might not even announce if theyā€™re small enough!) and send us out into the night. What kind of customization would you like to see? Eye color, height, masks?

Hair, mask, suit, size, eyes, facial features, and skin colour, maybe we could have scales and gold skin and stuff!

1 Like

What kind of abomination are you conjuring in your mind? :scream:

4 Likes

Et for the atari mahahahahahaha

I was so sad when I reached the end of this demo. More please! :smiley: I hope thereā€™s an option to romance Nightreaver. I know @Flux mentioned the benign/brutality score being important to that, but I kinda hope itā€™s not? I understand having things in common and respect it if thatā€™s where youā€™re going but I think itā€™d be cool to just have the romance be different (unless thatā€™s too much work, of course.)

And ahhh I love to see a long list of customization options. It gives me life! :smile: Especially now that youā€™ve said they all more or less matter. Keep up the good work. I really look forward to seeing what you have to add.

2 Likes