Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

@DistractedDaydreamer Done and implemented.
Should work fine even if you stay in the power selection and keep removing and adding powers, but I welcome you folks to try and break it.

Challenge accepted, good sir!

Just re-read the WIP and fount out that you can choose to learn martial arts and man, I almost leapt in joy when I see that Bokator is an option (Iā€™m Cambidian and Cambodia is where Bokator originated).

Iā€™m liking your choice of martial arts too, iā€™ve only seen two but they are both legit fighting arts. Krav Maga is well-known for itā€™s efficiency when fighting without rules and Bokator is an martial arts that is made to kill people (thatā€™s why no one practice it anymore, itā€™s too deadly).

1 Like

I ran into this bug (I hope itā€™s a bug and I didnā€™t miss out reading something) where I work at a consulate and then whilst moving the furniture around, I suddenly become Sebastian or someone else?

ā€œHey, Angie, did you happen to hear about the shootout?ā€ Angie asked as you were shifting around some chairs, ā€œTerrible. This situation is getting out of hand. With these weird powered vigilantes popping out like this is some kind of comic book, this place is becoming a mess.ā€

And the choices became Pull Angie into safety and Make sure Angie snaps out of it

Is this a coincidence in the name or is this a bug :open_mouth:

The original idea was to have a bit of a ā€œmomentā€ with Nightreaver in the start of the chapter I am currently writing out. Hence my previous quotes when it came up.
However, after coding the selection it was fairly obvious that the whole moment and the time involved was extremely contrived and just took away a lot of the pacing, so I changed it over to the only major timeskip the story has had so far.
Iā€™m glad you enjoy it.

The full list of martial arts that you are able to pick are:

• Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
  • Capoeira
  • Jeet Kune Do
  • Sambo
  • Savate
  • Bokator
  • Krav Maga
  • Eskrima
  • Muay Thai
  • Northern Style Kung Fu*
  • Southern Style Kung Fu*
  • Silat

*Umbrella terms to avoid detailing two dozen similar but different martial arts.

If there are any issues with how I described any particular martial arts, feel free to speak up so I can flesh it out better.

@orkwut You have selected the name ā€œAngieā€ for your character previously, yes? Thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting from that.
The issue is, that you have discovered a second character named Angie. In the choices, ā€œAngieā€ refers to this second character, not your character.
Sebastian is a co-worker.

Ahhh, so it is a coincidence! Thanks for clarifying it so quickly! :smiley:

Actually you listed Bokator under the West Asian and Indian category when it should be in the East Asian category instead (weā€™re in the South Eastern part of Asia so yeah)

I did, didnā€™t I.

Fixed.

This is so perfect. You not only included martial arts, but you put in way more than I thought. Thank you! This is already the greatest hero Choice game. You even included explanations of them and everything. Some of these I never even heard of. But please keep them in the stats, itā€™s so awesome. I just plain love it when I open up my stats screen and see ā€œTraining: Bokatorā€ or whatever other cool style that is offered. And honestly I think the list is perfect. You had most of the arts that I card about, and others that Iā€™m definitely going to check out. So, yeah. I know I may be a little late, but thank you for using our idea. Itā€™s mainly rare to see an author let players influence their projects as much as that. I, sir, salute you for that. I want to create a character who utilizes martial arts as his main form of attacking, and I want to have his powers purely enhance his physical abilities and nothing else. Yeah. Like a powered-Batman. Cool.

2 Likes

This has got me wondering, if our heroes have defensive abilities and with utilities, we should have a weapon at least. Quarterstaff, bow and quiver etc. A hero with heightened senses would near perfect with ranged weapons and enhanced agility with melee weapons. Anything similar like that in the future, @Goshman?

2 Likes

Dang. Had to edit my incoherent rambling 4 times. New record.

Is this still active, and how close to completion is it now?

Still very much active. I have been fairly busy this month with a couple of other projects.

I am currently debating with myself over how much Iā€™m going to stretch the story before hitting endgame, because the attempt is to maintain a graphic novel feel and thereā€™s a certain flow and length to that kind of story.
If Iā€™m able to maintain a rhythm throughout the rest of the year, and assuming I am not surprised by other projects, Best of Us will probably enter a closed beta early 2016.

2 Likes

Keep in mind graphic novels can have some girth to them, the main one being The Watchmen. Which Iā€™m sure you know is widely considered one of if not thee best graphic novels around. That in and of itself was pretty large.

Good to hear. Best of luck.

Is the clothing really going to make a significant difference in game play or is it more of an aesthetic choice? Also I love watchmen if you can make an interactive novel like that it will be the best.

Many reasons I believe. Judging by all their descriptions, all the main traits are anonymity/exposure, bulky/light and practical/traditional.

The suit will define your hero and will play a part with your abilities. Letā€™s say a gadget using vigilante will use utilitarian suit for anonymity and store many tools whilst a classic superhero will want maximum exposure and look the part for it. Also a hero with flying or agility will want to remain lightweight and ones with teleportation and strength will prefer bulkiness (teleporting doesnā€™t require lightweight movement in my opinion.)

Thatā€™s pretty cool, thanks.

Depends on fighting style too cause teleports may want the whole acrobatics kind of fighting that goes with martial arts and things because you can only teleport a short way without depleting your energy quickly I mean think about it most iconic heroes with flying powers donā€™t fight with martial arts while those without do more often.

This demo was great! I loved how you could actually choose the MCā€™s power skills etc. It is really fun and I hope this comes out soon!