Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

I would like it if you did it in the same way as in Lords of Aswick.

Do it the same way as lords of aswick.

I prefer to have it be somewhere in the middle, because it would make it seem like your stats have more of an impact in the game, but it would still be close to Lords of Aswick, because it was so good.

Something like Lord Of Aswick would be best for me,because it wouldn’t break you from the immersion of the game.

Hey sorry I haven’t been looking at the game lately you know me how I am one of thows people that hates playing from the beging the reason why I liked the heros rise combat system was it allowed me to know how much power I was using also they made it so that if you didn’t have any power that there would be consuqences while your power meter is refilling another thing I likeed about it was that if you used the power more you would get stronger and be able to overpower your oponets. Anyway I hope that helps man. Adamcowdog

I woud like it if you did it the same as in Lords of Aswick (also the strength,intelligence and social skills are gone, did you remove them or is it just a bug on my end?)

Keep it up, i’m really digging the demo so far!

Hey I would suggest using *hide_reuse on the power selection page, or someone might pick the same power repeatedly

If you already picked the power, the option will give the choice to remove the power instead.

Oh, but wouldn’t hide reuse be easier? Just saying

It’s a design decision meant to support ease of customization, so you don’t have to restart the whole thing to get a new pick. It’s a bit heavier on the coding, but it provides a lot of saved time for the player. It’s annoying to go through the beginning over and over again just because you changed your mind or picked the wrong option.

Update time:
Best of us has now been in development for four an a half months, with slower progress throughout the summer than I had hoped for from myself. The story at this point runs around an average of 23k words, with the total from the whole game coming around 30k words. I’ve tried to keep code and choice text out of the totals.

A few things have changed as I have been shaping the story, one major point being that I have removed the option to work for the greedy corporation as IT. I understand some people were excited about that being there, but I did not find a good way to tie it into the core storyline and thus abandoned it. At least for now.

Another thing is that instead of clear-cut morality in place - and thus making a distinction between hero and villain - I have decided to maintain a morality that is mostly grey. There will remain options to make your character more of a hero, but there will also be choices that would skirt closer to antihero and villain. My hopes are that I will be able to convey through the reader that all actions that you are able to take are justifiable. Mind you, these choices will not be dependent on the Brutal/Benign opposed stats that you are able to see.

I have also redone the core stats of the character. After my decision to have every character have some semblance of powers, the actual differences between the three stats on the body-intellect-social axis are largely meaningless. In order to aim for a simpler and more understandable system for everyone involved, I have cut it down into a body-mind duality.

I am back on a roll at current time, however, and hopefully I will be able to set some concrete deadlines for myself for autumn and push harder for larger updates. My current deadline is to get the core storyline done by early November.

17 Likes

I can become a villain in the end?

Er, quick question I’ve been wondering about: is the red from the “NEW DAWN” room supposed to be blood?

@Damian Short answer is “Yes”. Long answer is “Kind of” and then goes into a thesis about morality and heroic ethics.

@forWantOf Is it? I don’t know. Might be spray paint. It’s fairly vague, isn’t it?

Will you notify us when there is an update?

Yes. I am working on the latter half of the next chapter. Once that’s tested and open in the beta, I will inform you guys. Should be within the next two weeks.

7 Likes

Update is up!

I am still closing off the chapter, but I should get it done tomorrow. The rest is a fair bit more linear than the couple of fight scenes that have been the meat of my work for the last few months.
If you have any qualms, ideas or additions that you would like to see in said fight scenes, I’m all ears. If you find typos or continuity errors, report them and I’ll get right to fixing it up. It’s more than likely that I’ve messed up something somewhere in there, since there’s a fair bit of code and I went through a good number of revisions of it throughout the process.

The entire game is now roughly around 40k words. One read-through should be within a 25k to 30k word range.

8 Likes

I really enjoy what you have so far it’s really great

Pretty interesting story thus far. I also couldn’t find any typos on my play through but I may have been unobservant enough. Because honestly as far as super hero stories go I’m enjoying this a lot more than Heroes Rise so far.

When walking away from the person with the voice modulator it says ‘she’ then starts using ‘he’ and ‘him’