Before We Are Ghosts (WIP) - demo update 28 Apr 2023

Any amount is a good amount as far as I am concerned. It’s best to not focus on how many words you can get out and just go with what feels good.

13 Likes

I have to agree with Kitty’s view on this. 750 words? That’s an amazing number! That’s three quarters of a thousand, which is a lot in USD currency. Feedback text boxes are microscopic compared to this, since the majority have an imposed 500 character limit… Tiny! Significantly tiny! You probably couldn’t fit a third of that 750 into one of those because you wrote so much. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

My nose smell work that can make me cried in the inside and I love it! Keep up the good work. Can’t wait for more. :partying_face::partying_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Interesting plot! I can be sad in peace.

2 Likes

Loved the demo! I think you wrote the atmosphere of ghe scenes really well :two_hearts:

1 Like

Found this typo, anyway i loved the Demo and boy it was great and it’s really promising! Good job.

1 Like

This angst is going to hurt, but I’m excited about it. I really loved the prologue and look forward to what comes next. Your writing is really nice to read.

8 Likes

This is sooo good. Definitely has captivated me. Looking forward to updates.

2 Likes

Thank you to all those who commented :’) And wow, thanks for the likes too! I hadn’t looked at the counter in a while, and was a little ╭( ๐_๐)╮ at my computer for a moment. I promise I’m working hard on it!

Weekly Update - 19 June 2022

• Good news: I’ve written 3000 words, of which includes scene one and the start of scene two!

• Bad news: scene one and scene two will no longer be scene one and scene two. :frowning: Essentially, I felt that the link between the two was rather weak and abrupt so I need to rework that.

• Good news: three more scenes have been planned, bringing the total to five! Which is good in the sense that I have an idea of what I’m actually going to write. But…

• Bad news: I have no idea how to arrange them, and I can’t continue writing until I figure out how. My brain is wired strange like that :frowning: but I will figure it out! So-

By mid next week, I want to finalize how to join up these five scenes. I’d like the different time skips to be easy to follow, such that each one cues in smoothly to the next, and I’ll do my best to finalize the flow by mid next week.

Once that’s done, I’ll continue writing - either a continuation of the original scene two, or whichever my brain feels more strongly for. Hopefully that works out! I’ve a bit more work commitments next week, so hopefully that won’t get too much in the way of things.

48 Likes

I loved it, please keep writing this great work

3 Likes

Yes, please the angst potential is so delicious. I may or may not have cried already just thinking about the possible conversations that will take place. :clown_face:

8 Likes

Good news:
Bad news:
Good news:
Bad news:

Also, I was a bit too busy to comment on launch, but this is the perfect thriller story with clear despair coming, and I sure am loving every single part of it.

Still, though, don’t worry about word count. Quality over Quantity!

7 Likes

I’ve ALWAYS wanted a story like this to be written because not everything is a perfect victory (though i do enjoy thise games)

So when I opened the CoG Summary email and read the synopsis I IMMEDIATELY stopped my other task and started to read.

The way this hit my feels was absolutely incredible. I had a playlist of sad-ish video game soundtracks in the background and it was just a whole mood.

The way you describe each character’s feelings to the situation, you can definitrly see their different personalities and how they perceive MC. Even the villain! When he said that line I was just like DAMN. The flow is very well done even with all the jumps. I didn’t get lost once and definitely understood the timeline of events.

I didn’t really pay much attention to grammar, or any mistakes. I was too in the mood for that lol Will probably replay again and again cause finally I find something that is satisfying my angsty side like no other game here has

11 Likes

Thank you to everyone who commented and shared your thoughts :brown_heart: they’re really humbling, and very motivating in nudging me to not procrastinate •́ ‿ ,•̀

About that - I apologize for the lack of communication on my part! Work had been unfortunately busy so I wasn’t able to find the time to pop by the forum.

I did manage to get roughly 3.2k words, spread across scenes one to three, written since the past update! I know the word count is… small at the moment, but I’m trying not to pay too much heed to it. I’d rather not force my brain to think of extra things just to beef up the word count; just like the prologue, I believe the words will come - and grow on their own - as I write. And even if they don’t… well. At least there won’t be too much filler things going on?

Goals for next week:

• write the placeholder choices for scenes 1 and 2
  • continue writing scene 3

You’ve got to share them with me if possible :eyes: I am always up for sad video game music.

29 Likes

Of course! This is the Spotify link I use but not all of them are sad LOL

My go to for this story were: (especially the first 5)

Can You see My Heart - Heize (from Hotel del Luna K-drama lol) - has lyrics! This whole soundtrack is so good
Pokemon - Lugia’s Theme (how can you not be in the feels!)
Fire Emblem Awakening - Don’t Speak Her Name
The Legend of Zelda - Midna’s Lament
Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand (there’s 2 in the playlist the piano one sounds clearer on my phone)
Hikari - Simple and Clean (Kingdom Heart) a classic in piano
Final Fantasy X - Yuna’s Decision
Final Fantasy XIII - Promised Eternity
Code Vein - Your Everything (original - not English has lyrics) leans more towards epic than the others
Code Vein - Requiem also leans towards more epic sounding

5 Likes

Might I suggest:

6 Likes

This is already so intriguing! Definitely excited to see the angst develop :eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you @potterdough and @TheMarksman for those recommendations! I have added them to my own instrumental playlist xD

Potterdough - I don’t play video games so those are all new to me! Lugia’s theme is very excellent indeed, and Requiem is now one of my new favorites.
Marksman - I perked up in excitement when I saw ‘Memories of Murder’. I love that movie very much, alongside Parasite!

Much of my own library comprises of songs from much more obscure creators; I’ll probably create a public playlist of my own personal favorites sometime in the future, but I’ll list some of them here:

• Chasing the Stream - Stephen Aiken
  • Happiness Does Not Wait - Olafur Arnalds [more uplifting than sad, but I love it all the same]
  • Lelyah - Zemfira Mironova
  • Lost - Justus Rümenapp
  • The Promise - Secret Garden
  • Sonata in Darkness - Michael Giacchino, from the Batman. [Why isn’t this song more popular? I can play it on a public piano and no one recognizes it (༎ຶ︿༎ຶ) Really, this song is so heartrendingly beautiful, the first thing I did after the movie was to purchase the sheet music.]

Now with regards to writing, the word count now stands at 5.6k (+2.4k)

Just over 2k words is a bit bleh compared to how much some others can write, but I’m feeling happy about it. Scene three is slowly coming along. The twins will make a reappearance here as different memory points, depending on the route taken. These won’t be the original scene one (which will appear later on, in an individual scene).

Goals for next week:

Continue working on scenes one to three still. Maybe four/five, if my brain decides to vibe with what will happen then!

25 Likes

Oh boy, was busy so I couldn’t reply back. Memories of Murder, or “Mouse” where I watch it, is great. It really plays a lot into the psychology rather than the typical cliches.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it @TheMarksman ! Life certainly gets busy sometimes, especially when unexpected curveballs come into play. Which was precisely what happened the past couple of weeks.

Long story short… a slew of chronic health issues flared up, an exciting project at work was launched, and as the icing on the cake, I just tested positive for COVID-19. :face_exhaling: Murphy’s Law at its finest indeed…

Still I have made progress! Chapter 1’s word count: 17.8k (+12.4k).

If all goes well, I will be able to push this chapter out for an update in mid/end August. This will feature the string of events that happen up to the MC waking up, and I hope to dive straight into the ‘dealing with death’ themes from Chapter 2.

Those will have to come later, though - I’m taking a few days off to recover.

32 Likes