Becoming Guardian (WIP) - Updated 03/21/2020

Just calling it now that the kid’s other parent is the other best friend option. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That’s true! I didn’t think about that. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Aw, why does Tori/Victoria always got to be the mean girls name? I promise I’m nice in real life :slightly_frowning_face:

Kidding aside. This game is awesome. I was disappointed at first that you wanted to focus on Sam’s path before the others. I’m a sucker for tragedy and I was really hoping for the route where they pass away. I know…I’m horrible. BUT let me just say this is one of the few times I have been tempted to play as a male, just because the interactions with Sam are so cute and feels so natural. So kudos to that.
All of your characters seem to be so well thought out and fascinating. I like that there isn’t any gender swapping…makes then feel real. Really curious about this Skylar person, seems like they might have an interesting backstory. Joe had me laughing just from the short interaction.

During the dinner/trivia night I felt like I would of liked a little more interaction with Raymond. The trivia was fun but it was over and I was kind of wondering what was the point? Because I had spent more time emotionally connecting with Sam’s character, it wasn’t hard for me to choose her doc appt over Raymond’s concert.

Last thing, I promise :grin:. I don’t really like the idea of dating Tori in the past. It’s really not a huge deal but I can see how some people, example gay man or straight female, would never see their character dating someone outside their preference. Perhaps you can make it where Tori wanted us to hang out with her. Just hanging out as friends… Then she wants to date but we nope right out of there? Just a thought.

Excited to see what happens next. :+1:

8 Likes

Was an idea in earlier drafts, ultimately decided on scrapping the idea.

Hahaha that’s fair! I’m a sucker for angst myself :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad it shows that way! Hopefully I can grasp the same naturalism for the rest of the characters.

I have a few drafts I’m working on that will give players more time with Ray before the trivia night. I definitely clocked that but haven’t firmly settled on how I want to change things.

Going on the date with Tori isn’t a forced event. If you choose the options to either have dated guys or not have dated in college she simply wants to go on a date but you turn her down. The only options that change that is the option to have dated girls or a few people.

Lol! I’m glad Tori invokes from real life feelings in people :stuck_out_tongue: Not so good ones but hey she doesn’t invoke good feeling in anyone

7 Likes

Oops. I thought I had chosen that option but I guess I didn’t. Thanks for clearing that up!

4 Likes

I love it! Can’t wait to read more

1 Like

I have to admit, the concept alone has peaked my interest; there are not many games that explore the idea of being a guardian to a young child in those two types of situation (be it a close friend telling you of the unexpected change in their life or suddenly finding yourself thrust into full guardianship after losing a loved one). I’m definitely looking the most forward to taking care of the child and seeing how the relationship develops with them and the MC while seeing what kind of personality either Aaron or Sam’s child will have (probably would be a little wistful if they grow to have a quirk that reminds MC of their deceased parent). Also curious to see what kind of role the various ROs will play in both the MC and the child’s life.

I genuinely can’t decide which route I want to take in the game at the moment. I mean, I love the idea of being there for your friend during the tough times and seeing what that kind of life would be like. On the other hand, the tragedy of losing someone close to you yet having to muster up enough fortitude to be there for the child they left behind sound equally as enticing.

Also, I already don’t like Tori or Katie much; both just rub my MC the wrong way. Katie in particular because of how entitled she came off as when she called about her and the family taking Sam’s kid (didn’t like how she sort of made it sound like a business transaction and seemed to undermine both her sister’s choice to have MC as her child’s legal guardian and the MC’s own position as legal guardian). I am curious to see what Jamie’s own position on the matter will be and if he’ll handle that talk better.

You certainly do have a lot of ROs planned for the game story and I do wish you a great deal of luck with that endeavor. Though out of curiosity, how active are some of the ROs (like will a few throughout the story begin to take the initiative if they like the MC enough)?

7 Likes

Once you build a solid relationship with the the ROs become quite active in supporting the MC. In the Sam/Aaron routes it’s moreso around the time that the MC is acting as guardian. In Jamie/Katie’s route it’s different since you start the story as guardian. Also for the most part most of the ROs knew both the MC and their deceased friend or know the circumstances of the MCs current situation from fairly early so they all have more reason to be there from the beginning.

3 Likes

I’ll be going on a hiatus for an undetermined amount of time. My laptop has died recently and I’m not sure whem I will have the money to get it repaired. That said, I have a copy of the game backed up in two places (USB and google drive) so I’m not overly concerned about losing anything.

That said I will be working on the story to the best of my ability the old fashioned way. If I have time I’ll see if I can spend a few hours a week and the library to get codimg in amd possibly still update.

With that said I will still be running the update blog via my phone. Future progress reports will be posted on there until I can update the demo.

Until then, best wishes!

19 Likes

Don’t worry, take all the time you need. We’ll be here waiting patiently.

3 Likes

Not quite 14 days yet…

I only recently played this, but I’d just like to let you know that I think it’s fantastic. Character based with real world dilemmas is my kind of thing.

Anyway, I assume it’s still on hiatus but good luck! Take your time and don’t burn yourself out. I would hate it if this faded away like most other WIP’s…

5 Likes

It’s on hiatus in terms of updates for now since at this point I’m not sure when I’ll be done everything for this chapter. I’m still working away at the story, just at a much slower pace than I’d like since it’s my phone I’m using. But even so I have no plans on discontinuing the story! I really enjoy writing it and I’m glad you are too!

Seriously, I’m happy you like it so far! Hearing so helps keep me motivated to keep at it despite setbacks. Thank you for your support!

11 Likes

Wow ! , first of all the story feels refreshing and sam felt so natural it hooked me right off the bat . i cant wait for the next update !

1 Like

Keeping an eye on this W. I. P, not wanting to spoil or anything, but is it possible that my male MC is actually the father of Sammy child? I like Sammy, this is good stuff.

1 Like

It’s not possible for a male MC to be the father of Sam’s child.

(Someone on @Latraytray’s tumblr had been curious about that possibility themselves and asked about).

1 Like

shame, oh well, that doesn’t mean the male Mc can’t be the future father of Sam’s child in case romance blooms. Thx for the info

1 Like

you do know that sam will die, right?

1 Like

@Noah Sam only dies in one of the routes. In the Sam route, she’s fine and the story is more focused around you helping her figure out being a parent, but in her sister’s route (blanking on her name) she dies in a car crash and you have to figure out being a parent.

5 Likes

Whoopsie daisy I thought it happens on both routes

1 Like

That’s just one of the routes, if not why would there be a romance parameter in stats?

1 Like