Beached! ...A brandnew free Interactive Fiction game

Hi there!
My name is Ewald Bal. I’m the CSO at BrightSight-People, an indie software company from The Netherlands.

I’ve always loved text adventures or Interactive Fiction nowadays. And I am proud to bring you a brand-new and totally free game called “Beached!” An oldschool text adventure with modern-day touches.

In Beached! you play a stranded, cocky castaway roaming a deserted island in the Caribbean Sea. Help this poor guy survive the island, using nothing but it’s natural resources, which is easier said than done, of course.

Beached! is a small game, as it is the first in a series to come. Survival is your main goal in this first part, escaping the island will happen in later episodes. I hope you’ll enjoy Beached! For its atmosphere and crazy sense of humor if you force the protagonist into wacky situations.

Play Beached! at: https://beached.000webhostapp.com/
It’s a totally free game with NO advertisements.
Please, mail feedback if you enjoyed the game (or not…) and suggest a good name for our hero, to be used in upcoming episodes.

Greetz,
Ewald Bal
mail: info@brightsight-people.com

(Hi fellow Dutchie :wave:)

It sounds like an interesting idea. I’ll have to actually sit down and play it before I can figure out if it suits me, though.

Anyway, I moved this thread to the proper category for you. Hosted Games are Choice of Games’ secondary label, and this wasn’t published through that label.

Good luck.

Hi Cecilia,
Thanx for moving the post into the right forum.
I hope you’ll play the game for a while and I am very interested in your feedback.

Regards,
Ewald

Thoughts after a few minutes of playing:

• Examine [item] and look at [item] are not supported. At first, I didn’t think that there was any way to examine an item at all! I had to look at the page with the map to learn that the correct syntax is look [item]. Before that, I thought it wasn’t implemented at all.
  • The error messages are a bit mean, deriding me for not making sense instead of apologizing for not understanding me. (This is big! I tried to take weeds from the same area where I was able to take a branch and pebble, and was told off for it, as though it was stupid for me to think of that.) Messages that seem playful at first become mocking when you hit a bunch of them in a row.
  • I can’t tell the functional difference between the bolded and unbolded parts of the room description. Why are they formatted differently in the first place?
  • Room descriptions don’t always list exits. (I found this out when trying to explore the cave.) This is especially bad because there’s no scrollback to check which way you came in.
  • There are a lot of typos. It’s important to copy edit!

This is a long list of negative things, but I do appreciate the work you put into this. It’s not easy to make your own parser, and the interface is very pretty. I wish you the best of luck with future work!

Thx for the reply. I will reply later to day on all your topics one by one.

Greetz,
Ewald

Hello Floraandfauna.
I’ve given your remarks some thoughts:

*) ‘examine’ and ‘Look at’ are not suported like, you mentioned. Other players have also requested to change that, so I will. In a few days an update will be released.
*) The error messages are sometimes mean and may not always be appreciated, therefore I’m sorry. The rude responses are used to give the pretagonist some character. I may have overdone that to your standards and other players’standards as wel. I will slightly change the list of responses, but will not remove all of the rudeness. This change will also take place in the next release.
*) The bolded and unbolded parts are formatted diferently to slightly enhance the graphic presentation and the readability. The pilot of this game had no difference in color or bolding and was a bit dull. The bolded text is used for describing the location and it’s exits. The unbolded text is used for extra information and our hero’s state of mind (again to create some character). The red text obviously is the response to your input as well as timed events.
*) I must check the exits per location again. The cave was removed from the game just before its release. But just in case: type ‘exits’ to get a list of all exits from that specific location.
*) Typos… I know. English isn’t my native language. I’m doing my best to find them all. An ungoing process, I’m afraid. The same goes for some of the grammar.

Thanx again for your reply and I hope you’ll finish the game soon!
Greetz,
Ewald

Hi all!
Just to inform you: Beached! has just had a small update.
Some issues, brought up by the community, have been fixed.

1. A few bugs have been crashed and a few typos have been undone.
  2. The commands list has been expanded with some of your recommendations.
  3. The insolence of the games responses has been turned down a bit.
  4. The interactive map has been updated (click on the ingame blue/black MAP/HINTS button).

The next update to come:

1. Checking all available location exits in the parser.

Enjoy some more!
Greetz,
Ewald

As a friendly reminder, it’s not necessary to sign your posts. All posts you make already have your account information attached to them.

Thx Cecilia, force of habit I fear. I tend to personalize communications, as you may have noticed. I’ll keep your advise in mind.
Played the game yet?

Nope. Not yet. Busy time of year :sweat_smile:

Haven’t had much of a chance to look at it (only read a few pages) but to be honest some of it isn’t making sense to me. When I went to where the cascade is I went East. To leave it I had to try random commands until I found I had to go SW. On my mobile inventory seems to be missing (it’s not where it tells me to look). It also reloaded back to the start when I left the page and came back to it.(Just went to another tab and back didn’t shut the page down.)

Hello jacic,
Thx for your feedback.

The exits from certain locations will be checked again in the next (soon to come) update.
Untill then, while ingame, type ‘exits’ to get a list of all exits. Better yet, click on the MAP/HINTS button (left side of the screen) to open a new tab showing a map showing you around the island.

May I ask which mobile OS you are using (Android or OIS) and what browser? This is a bug that needs to be investigated, thx for pointing that out. It seems to be working fine on Android Chrome, though. I’ll look into this problem asap.

I was using android chrome. I did open the maps screen but unfortunately the map is still incorrect (it should be west not sw). Also when I switch screens the game often boots me out and restarts so I can’t move between map and game screens (Not sure if that’s a problem with my particular phone or not but it’s happened twice in the short time I tried to play it so it’s really not playable for me unless I’ve got heaps of time to go through it in one sitting.)

Hello Jacic,
I’ve tries to reproduce the reboot issue, but unfortunately I can’t on my Android Chrome. My Android version is 6.0.1 what is yours if I may ask?

The exits issue will be looked into the next couple of days. Other people are having problems with that as wel. one question; what location are you referring to, not being able to go west? The cascade location is called rockface and the available are west, east and south (allthough you can’t go in there yet). From the rockface location southwest should not be working, is it?

Thx for the feedback and helping me debug.

Hello all!
Beached! has just been updated.

*) The exits problem with some locations have been fixed. You now get the right directions in the location describtions, as wel as after typing ‘exits’.
*) The text parser has been updated to recognise more commands. It starts to recognise commands with more then two words.
*) The map has been slightly adjusted and some more hints were added, in case you get stuck. To open the map, click the map/hints button on the left side of the screen.

Enjoy!

Interesting game. Maybe you could have directional keys (grey out when they aren’t available), or make the ways you can travel stand out more. Also not sure if you can provide some kind of map of explored areas, but it reminds me of those old school games where you try to interact with things.

Interesting ideas, Jerieth!
The map has crossed my mind, but for part 1 (a pilot game) it would have been too much work. Part 2, which is in development right now, will be a much larger project and now that you’ve mentioned the map, I will seriously consider inserting a map of some sorts.

The arrow keys, I’m still in doubt. But many posts on forums have indicated that it’s not always clear where to go in Beached! So I have to resolve that issue one way or the other. How about using the map to indicate where to you can travel to?