Citadel WiP (Updated: 1/21/2023) - A Medical Drama with Romance

My first time playing a medical drama. I didn’t expect death in my first experience.You know how to shock a student. Hopefully this is not my first patient in my real life anyway😅

5 Likes

Looking more to see of your work!! Good luck!!

2 Likes

Oh man, you’ve captured the frenetic energy of a code so well and in just a few pages! Very impressive. Though, I kinda wish we had had more time in the code itself because I feel like more can be done to express the time warp you experience. That being said, I’m not sure how you would be able to gamify it without it being an ACLS simulator, lol, so take that suggestion with a few pounds of salt I guess? :sweat_smile:

While I agree that there should probably be some indications in previous pages for those who haven’t taken any CPR classes or the like, I would advise against putting it in the dialogue as it risks coming off rather clunky. Actually, I would advise putting any of that in dialogue unless the MC is talking to a layperson because hoo boy, I would not feel comfy hearing the doctor I’m helping shout basic BLS to everyone! lol

Edit: @bouncyball you should be able to edit your post now.

1 Like

I think an internal monologue based off the knowledge stat would be the best way to handle giving the player medical knowledge the MC would have but the player may not.

3 Likes

Fully agree, just wanted to give an example of how to include it in a way so that the player has a chance to learn the relevant information. I do think that for something like this, it should be about more than skill checks. I guess the additional info would work better as a mental note included afterward, though.

3 Likes

Thank you for the edit button–it’s glorious, haha! :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, I’m kind of curious if the game will continue to focus on treatments like in the opening code, because medicine is pretty…repetitive, lol (as I’m sure you know, bouncy). For those who are not aware, there are many illnesses whose treatments are outright dictated by algorithms that must be followed, else it’s your license on the line.

If you do plan on having more codes or scenes like in House where the MC is treating unrelated patients or whatnot, then it might be worth it to put some basic plans/treatments/responses in a codex? I can easily see how this might balloon, but if it’s just kept to what you expect/plan to have in the game it should be manageable.

6 Likes

I expect a lot will be handled behind the scenes via sliders, with problems/successes generated via some kind of table.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, there’s a flow chart for everything in medicine haha!

I’m going to try to see how much I can get away with in terms of medical management based on common sense, but a codex is a good idea. I wonder if it’d be interesting to readers if some of the medical answers weren’t given to them and they had to do a little outside research to pick the correct one? Or, I could always put in a “call the resident” button since that’s what I do at work anyway :rofl:

On the plus side, because the main technique featured in the game (NINO) is completely made-up (but based on robotic surgery) I have some artistic license there, too (whew).

8 Likes

Ahhhh- I really like this! Ngl, I rather liked Open Hearts in Choices so when I saw this, I BEELINED. I RAN. I am a happy camper with this one and I shall patiently wait for updates! I also hope your profession isn’t too stressful!

13 Likes

Aww, thank you! I agree, you can never have too many medical romantic dramas :laughing:

Haha, I’d say it’s just stressful enough to keep it interesting… :smirk: Can’t wait for this pandemic to be over, though!

2 Likes

Do you have a link to that? Not familiar with it and tried searching it on steam.

This is the link to the app and this are the pictures for the book.

3 Likes

Yes I also like the game “Open Heart” from Choices, but also “BlueSwan” from It is love, is just as good and has more romance (Both are medical dramas).

2 Likes

Admittedly, I care a lot more about the sim aspect than the romance aspect, but that’s just me.

1 Like

I’ll get you back interacting with patients/into the OR in Chapter 4! In the meantime, you can read up on some hepatobiliary pathologies. :computer:

3 Likes

It looks really interesting so far! Are you planning on adding a save feature in the future ? That will be a lot earlier for players instead of having to replay with each update. Really good so far can’t wait to see more !

1 Like

Kept reading “medieval drama” then saw the next few words “distant future” and I was like huh? :joy: Took me awhile.

5 Likes

This is an unfortunate accident for one named “The All-Seeing”

7 Likes

Once I figure out how to do that, I will definitely do that haha! :laughing: :sweat_smile: :grin: