Pirates of Donkey Island - tribute to Monkey Island and Pirates of the Caribbean

OMG, Thank you so much, @Jackpot1776, for playing it all so far and testing it.

Your appreciation really humbles me. :love_letter:

I will immediately fix the spelling.

Thank you very much again. If you have any suggestions on how the story should go on or should end, Iā€™d love to hear them!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I am so happy! I added chapter 6 to the story, where you enter the boisterous circus of the bucatini Brothers!

Challenge the circus athletes in different disciplines to make enough money to buy a ship!

As always, Iā€™d love to hear from you. Let me know how we could improve the story together! And merry Christmas to everyone!

1 Like

Is it possible to actually fail yet? I did a playthrough where I tried to get my mojo to zero but couldnt :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It SHOULD be. Thank you @Jackpot1776 for the heads up. Could you please tell me where this exactly happens, so Iā€™ll double-check?

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ll go through again and let you know. And just to clarify, it wasnā€™t that an error or anything popped up, it was just that I wasnā€™t sure if you actually COULD get your mojo to zero :sweat_smile: Iā€™ll check again though
@Gilbert_Gallo Hmm, I went through again and was able to fail this time. Odd, maybe I accidentally did the right thing before :joy: But yeah, unless there was some bug beforehand, the fail scene works lol

2 Likes

Thank you SO much, @Jackpot1776. Your feedback is very precious.

Thank you again for your time. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

GREAT NEWS!

I uploaded chapter 7 today! You can FINALLY have a chance to kiss your RO (if you behaved properly you could also do more than that). Among the options: you can date a zombie, a gorilla, a venerable lady, or a dandy.

You will finally own a ship, and you could also drown at sea!

THANK YOU so much for the many feedbacks you are giving me (both publicly and privately).

4 Likes

Great NEWS!

Updated today with chapter 8, where you finally arrive on Donkey Island! Puzzles! Insult sword fighting, ghosts, pirates, and cannibals!

Let me know if you like it!

1 Like

Hey @Gilbert_Gallo! Glad to see this is still going strong, and to get a chance to catch up on it. Letā€™s seeā€¦

Feedback

-Is there a reason the character disposition bars are opposed pairs? Iā€™m used to seeing them as a normal percentage. Also, I think it might be possible to remove the underscores in stats that have multiple words (such as Pieces_of_Eight) although Iā€™m not precisely sure how.

-At the first point where I was prompted to spend time with one of the companions or not, I remember being a little put off by the narration kind of presenting it as ā€œYou donā€™t like any of these people and certainly donā€™t want to befriend them all, but maybe thereā€™s one you tolerate more than the others?ā€ Butā€¦I do like them! Iā€™m generally okay with the more sassy/sarcastic narration, but I felt that was a little much, especially since Iā€™d been playing a fairly friendly MC.

-After the duel with Flora, you referred to her as ā€œpassed awayā€, but sheā€™s still alive. A person who has passed OUT is unconscious ā€“ a person who has passed AWAY is dead. :wink:

-I noticed that later chapters had a few more double spaced paragraphs, which I found a fair bit easier to read.

-Iā€™m okay with Bernardo and Brunoā€™s dialogue changing format, but Iā€™d say for consistency you should probably make the other characterā€™s dialogue match it during those sections. For exampleā€¦

Bruno: We talk like this!
ā€œWhat do you mean?ā€ Slash asks.
Bernardo: With our words after colons!

It might look better likeā€¦

Bruno: We talk like this!
Slash: What do you mean?
Bernardo: With our words after colons!

-I loved the circus section, it was a lot of fun in general but I also liked the idea of trying to find a way to play different scenarios based on each characterā€™s strengths.

ā€¦Aaaand I ended up failing the memory challenge and my savegame refused to load, so I think thatā€™s where Iā€™m stopping for this time. Still having a great time, keep it up!

1 Like

Wow! Thank you very much @Jayffel for your dedication! :love_letter:

Iā€™m going to make all necessary adjustments asap.

Here are some (hopefully useful) explanations:

• NPC opposed pairs. Actually, on the same line thereā€™s the SAME NPC, not two different ones. The line represents your attitude toward that particular NPC. I wanted to give the reader the idea that your MC opinion about the NPCs might change. They start from a detached/unfriendly opinion (for example, the Crone) and could reach a friendly/lovely opinion (represented by their true name/stage name like Laura). Does this work? Or should I change something?
    Schermata 2021-01-09 alle 23.39.53

Schermata 2021-01-09 alle 23.45.38

Thank you again very much for your time and dedication. Looking forward to hearing more from you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad I could help, and thanks for responding!

As far as the character meters go, I understood that each bar is referring to the same person, I just find the opposed pair method of showing this to be more confusing than a plain percentage. Iā€¦donā€™t really know how to describe why. I guess my brain reads it and wants to interpret it as telling me two different things, even though I know itā€™s only telling me one, so I get kind of stuck for a second trying to decide if Iā€™m missing something.

That said, I do like the idea of the way your character identifies the others in their head changing over the story, and I donā€™t have any ideas for how to make that work betterā€¦In any case, itā€™s certainly not a huge issue for me, just something I thought Iā€™d ask about. If it works for you, then it works for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Jayffel :slightly_smiling_face:

I really appreciate all your feedback, and now I definitely see your point. Iā€™ll think it over a couple of days and then decide what to do with the opposing charactersā€™ bar.

1 Like

Hi everybody!

I DID IT! I finished the adventure! I did the random test and quick tests on CSIDE and passed them all! :fireworks:

I am so happy!

Please, let me know what you think. :star_struck:

I just need to add achievements, some headers, and Iā€™ts ready for beta testing, right? Thank you very much for your support! I love you all! :love_letter:

5 Likes

that was the most absurd, hilarious and intriguing story Iā€™ve read :joy:

typo :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Woo hoo!!! Thats awesome dude! Congrats!

opens schedule book, scratches out lunch and writes Donkey Island

1 Like

Thank you, @Jackpot1776 and @Mistyleaf123 :heart: for your support. Going to check all typos :laughing:

Hi everybody! :star_struck:

Today, I finished the game! There are now 26 Achievements, and you can decide whether to play with them or without them.

THANK YOU, EVERYBODY, for your great feedback.

I am now going to contact CoG staff, hoping they will publish this game. I am so nervousā€¦ :scream:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s fantastic! Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck! Iā€™m sure itā€™ll do great :grin:

1 Like

Hi everybody!

CoG staff told me we should beta-test this whole adventure together, so go for it!

Let me know if you find any kind of problem or if I should improve anything.

Together we can make this game unique!

Thank you in advance for your help, I will provide you a virtual beer :beers: for every single hint.

4 Likes