Awoken (Fantasy WIP) - updated 16/May/2017

Maybe have one of the students ask the MC what having all that power is like?

3 Likes

This is so cute.

@Scribblesome Personally, I don’t feel like there’s anything lacking in the current demo, but that may just be because I don’t feel too strongly about it (it being the power and responsibility). Being the ultra-powerful protagonist in almost every story game ever does that to you, I guess. Either way would be fine, but it wouldn’t make too much impact in my own experience.

2 Likes

I also like the current demo the way it is. I think that asking too much ‘‘how do you feel about that?’’ kind of breaks the flowing of the story. But if you feel the need to add this choice than go for @Zilla’s suggestion. Having a student ask what’s like to be you seem like a good way to fill this purpose without harming the narration.

3 Likes

blows dust off thread I am two branches down out of three. When the third is done it will be update time!

On a related note … dialogue trees … so many dialogue trees… :tired_face:

17 Likes

I love dialogues :blush:
And I have a question: will the regain of our powers be affected if we choose not to rely on magical abilities in the present?

Good thing, considering! :sweat_smile:

Doing some extra magical stuff might make you get your power back faster/more reliably, but it won’t affect whether you get it back at all or not.
Mind, I’m talking about your regular level of innate magic, like when you were a child. Your Awoken power… that’s going to be a bit different.

2 Likes

:persevere: Are… any of those dialogue trees for Cren? :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

'Fraid not! We’re not getting back to the present until next chapter at earliest. There is the introduction of one of the two remaining LIs, though!

2 Likes

This is kinda new to me. New and Original, I hope it stay that way. Please keep it up :slight_smile: @Scribblesome

1 Like

The story is really good. Please keep it up

1 Like

D’aw… Well, I’ll await eagerly for the present bits then. :grin: I do have a question though.

Since you mentioned something about our MC’s Awoken power… is that going to be for magic-oriented MCs only? Granted, your character will always have magic to an extent, but in my playthrough, my MC always had a Fighting stat greater than his Magic stat.

1 Like

No. The Magic stat is supposed to refer to the MC’s knowledge of spells, etc, and how to use their magic best. As you can tell the kids, it’s got nothing to do with your power level. You’ll get the same opportunity to regain your Awoken magic regardless of your skills.

2 Likes

Do I at least get to twirl a sword or axe around with a flourish if my MC’s fighting skill is high enough? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Almost certainly! :smile:

2 Likes

It’s been 84 years… but finally the promised update is here!

Hopefully it will have been worth the wait - we have new places, new characters, the introduction of another LI, and the start of Very Important Plot Things.

Also, a few changes here and there - I’ve written better descriptions of Aden and Malina when you meet them and added in some extra worldbuilding here and there. And, I decided to put in a codex, under the ‘My notes’ section of the stats screen - this should helpfully consolidate some of the lore that’s being drip-fed in the main story. Eventually I plan to have new entries revealed as the MC uncovers more stuff, but for now all that’s there so far is available from the start.

The demo as a whole is now over 55k words! (and chapter 5 is more than half of that)

As usual, please let me know if there’s anything confusing, any options you think are out of character for the mc, or, of course, any bugs.

21 Likes

There’s a small error in the very last scene where Vin’s pronoun shows as “!he”. I’m assuming this is 'cause Vin’s gender changes on player choice/preference?

Whoops, thanks for catching that. And yes, it does. Is that the scene with Vin and Erith?

Yup. Literally in the scene right before the “play again” screen pops up.

Ah but there’s one than one possible last scene! Found it (siding with the rebels, I see :wink:)

1 Like

/facepalms/ Dude. That just… didn’t even occur to me.:sweat_smile: Sorry, I’m running on like… an hour of sleep. But yes. Rebels. Gotta get myself close to Cren, of course. :sunglasses:

Edit: Also, I kinda have this hunch that my apprentice (Aden) is this Protector fella and I’m honestly not ready to deal with that possibility.

5 Likes