Awoken (Fantasy WIP) - updated 16/May/2017

So found two errors:

First a typo: Leaave the city - you want to stay out of all of this.

Second: After talking with Vin in the bar, when choosing to “Go and see what’s going on.” I only get a blank page and the other two options

I just want to say one thing,superb work,the story is really intriguing, and the choice you gave is…liberating to say the least

1 Like

@Lithophene: The Protector stuff …may not be as bad as it seems. (Then again, it might be exactly that bad, it depends on certain decisions you make in the past)

You’re… really eager to get out of the city? :sweat_smile: Will fix it with the other typos.

@Nightgazer Thank you so much!

1 Like

What’s everyone thinking about the conflict we have here? Are you siding with the rebels? The Baron? The ‘leave me out of this’ side?

2 Likes

The rebels. I was neutral during the first conflict between guards and rebels, but after hearing the reasoning I’m on their side. …And the baron is an ass.

But seriously I have no problem with taxes, but if they are so high that you have to imprison a good number of your population and with them probably a good chunk of farmers/harvest hands so that in the end you will have a serious famine because, suprise, if those people die or are imprisoned because the taxes are to high nobody is cultivating any food. People get hungry, people get scared, people get angry and people blame the ones that charge the high taxes instead of weather/gods/bad luck for a bad harvest. Rather one-two years empty treasury as hungry and angry people that want to rebel…

That’s like “Avoiding being overthrown 101”. No pity for rulers that don’t know that.

7 Likes

I wonder. Did anyone else take on Malina as their apprentice solely because they thought she needed moral guidance the most?

6 Likes

I sided with the rebels from the first conflict. Heck, I was this close to telling the Baron’s messenger to go stuff it, but I decided to go with the “I’m paying the previous prices and not a cent more” option instead.

I’ve tried to play… non-lethal, I suppose? In the conflict with the guards and rebels, I sided with the rebels, but I ran the guards off rather than go berserk. I like to think my MC has the finesse in combat and skill in magic necessary enough to be able to take down foes without having to slay them, y’know? Not too sure how the rebels would view that though.There’s something I need to test in that fight and I’ll get back to you about that.

If the Protector isn’t as bad as they could be, then is there a reason that the critter attacks us? /scritches chin/ Or am I only getting attacked 'cause of my choices?

Edit: Also, I don’t know if it’s on purpose, but choosing to start the game at Chapter 2 asks you what your MC’s height is… and then the game itself asks for the height again. Not sure if that’s a bug or nah.

3 Likes

Yep can’t have someone that strong and untrained just wandering about.

1 Like

That honestly was exactly the reason I didn’t taker her :sweat_smile:

My character is a loner, and not really comfortable with the whole educating thing. I don’t think she would be that of a good influence on Malina. (And it would have been more work…)

Aden on the other hand had his inventor passion speaking in his favor. My MC has a big respect for people that want to pursue knowledge and use it in new ways. …Malina hadn’t much of a chance. Maybe with another MC.

3 Likes

The Scout senses magic on you, that’s why it targets you. They’re not very smart.
The height thing is because I forgot which option came up in which chapter … but the second time just overwrites the first so it doesn’t cause a problem.

Did anyone get the conversation with Malina in the neutral path?

Okay, so, I can’t find a way to get this option in the fight to become selectable: [Combine your weapon skills with magic to scare them off.]

I’ve tried picking all the options to max out Fighting - that didn’t work - and also to try and get Magic and Fighting to be relatively on par, but that also didn’t work. So, 54% Fighting with 5% Magic keeps that option grayed out, but apparently I can still select [Magical attack], but 43% Fighting with 27% Magic (and the inverse) keeps the option grayed out. :disappointed_relieved: Do I need to have picked a certain weapon from the weapon rack? Or am I just missing something?

Also…

Now that really makes me think Aden is the Protector considering when my MC asked him if he was working on any new inventions, he was trying to imbue his inventions with autonomy. “Not very smart” sounds like his attempt at autonomy was… somewhat of a success. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, that’s permanently greyed out at the moment because I’ve only written the bow variant.

1 Like

:joy: Well, that at least makes it easier on me! I was this close to replaying with each different weapon choice to see if I could get it. Will we need a higher fighting stat for it once it’s implemented or roughly on par?

You may don’t know how to deal with it, I on the other hand are very excited about the possebilities…mostly because romancing the enemy is something I very much enjoy especially when some backstory is involved. Enemy-side Aden…that’s somewhat hot…I’m sorry, I just had to say that…

[spoiler] But it also could be that our apprentice just works for them, creating the scouts…And how voluntary that is depends on how much Aden/Malina liked us. After all being a magic user and not working for the Protector seems rather dangerous. Or however we came to Silver as “ally” (be it by being their creator or whatever) was in the end the reason for the fallout between them and MC…

Anyway, I wonder if MC is still the only living magelord. After all what other reason would they have to go into hiding?..Maybe they were defeated once by the Protector/other magelord and the loss of their memory was a side effect of saving their life? [/spoiler]

4 Likes

And those farmers that come to you are already having crop problems.

I think it should be available at 20% or more.

@Sammysam: all I’m saying is :imp:

2 Likes

You are always so smooth while telling us nothing… :smirk:

Maybe I should go into politics… :innocent: OK, I will say that you’re spot on about the MC’s memory loss being a consequence of something done to save their life.

Also, I was just thinking this might be a good theme song for a more evil ambitious MC…

4 Likes

Gender switch!

This is incredibly interesting, by the by. I’ll most certainly be keeping my eye out. With every new bit of information revealed, my guess at what’s really happening changes drastically. I love when that happens

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the information snippets :grinning: - starts fantasizing about the possebilities that led to that development for MC - (Though I feel I should clarify that I’m anyway totally okay with you not telling us much, that makes wild mass guessing so much more fun :wink:)

1 Like

I was browsing through Steam like I usually do when I’m dreadfully bored at work and I spotted this upcoming game called The Technomancer, and… the protagonist on the cover art really reminds me of how I picture the Protector looking like. A mix of steampunk, magic, and sword(s). Goodness. :astonished: It hurts even more if I consider Aden being the Protector 'cause then I realize my MC taught him to be like that. I mean… my MC is the one tooting that his students need to learn combat as a practical skill.

7 Likes