Awoken (Fantasy WIP) - updated 16/May/2017

@Lithophene: Hmm, depends on the kind of noble you are, I guess. Depends on how you feel about the family history, too.
Edit: and now I’ve just given myself a fabulously evil idea regarding noble MC and Cren :imp:

@DevilTheCupcake - I think the noble path gets you a tiny bit more unique content at the moment, especially if you meet the Baron.

2 Likes

I haven’t actually played the noble route once so I haven’t a clue what you mean about the family history. :upside_down:

The family history is that your great-great-great etc. grandfather was Lord Altheryn tal Ithkari, one of the last Awoken mages and the ruler of Kalisthan Province.

6 Likes

Another update! As I said, this one’s a bit different because I’ve changed/added stuff to earlier chapters.

[details=Details if you want them:]Most notably in the first chapter I’ve changed the your pursuit from a swarm of creatures to just a few, and I’ve nerfed Stranger’s magic in the scene where they attack the creatures. Both of these points were throwbacks to a much earlier plot stage and don’t quite fit with what I’ve come up with since. I’ve also changed the wyvern choice from being just ‘do you like wyverns’

Third chapter I’ve added some stuff to your childhood memory, including more personality options. The ending for the loner PC has also been tweaked so you don’t automatically shove Harret out of the way.

I’ve added a few new personality-based dialogue bits throughout the chapters.

In Chapter Five I expanded Mara’s conversation.[/details]

I’ve changed the stats screen round a bit so the stats come up first and the ‘journal’ is accessible through the menu on the page, because the journal page keeps getting longer and I was finding it annoying to click through if I only wanted to check stats quickly.

Otherwise have a look and let me know what you think! Unfortunately adding new variables means the skip to chapter menu doesn’t work for the moment - I’ll update it later.

16 Likes

Found a bug

One bug I noticed, when questioning Silver in the new chapter:

And I wonder why more of the options during the childhood memory give points to kindhearted. I would think that “I think we’re fairly matched, skillwise, so if she loses this one it’s her problem” would rather give some points to disdain :confused:

Also is it supposed that loner MC still gets asked by the others to tag along or is that just specific for kindhearted loner MCs?

But besides those things I noticed I really like the changes to the earlier chapter, feels like more control over the MC’s personality. And I’m happy about the option for MC to reject their old personality.:smiley:

3 Likes

So, I thought of posting my thoughts, especially with this new update:

First, I’m not sure why, but from the other times I’ve played, the writing keeps feeling more polished. The parts I thought were good examples were the ones that highlighted an enviroment without giving many details, but still keeps the MC’s opinion in mind. Like how the round chamber feels like the tomb.

The banter between the MC and the Stranger at the beginning was also nice. It felt like it managed to make it humorous and managed to establish some things about the stranger.

4 Likes

I think I also tried the farmer background, but I definitely find the noble background the most interesting due to family history.

I like the new content. I am grateful that being a loner no longer automatically makes the MC a mean person when finding the sourcestone. I am getting the same bug as @Sammysam.

1 Like

Uploaded bug fixes (why does quicktest never catch the ‘extract tokens’ one?)
And yeah the loner MC getting the group outing was a bug :confused:

1 Like

I thought so too,it should give points for disdain,but decrease points of arrogance

Yep, that is what’s supposed to happen, just got the signs switched. Fixed now!

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed what can change in the beginning 9f chapter 6, or does everyone trust Silver too much? :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, Silver, I don’t know what to make of your suddenly stopping when my MC points out that he felt your magic. Did you stop out of concern, worry, or intrigue? :thinking: I really liked that li’l bit. That scene in general feels a lot more fleshed out now considering there’s more options besides “oo, a wyvern!” or “ew… it smells.” :laughing:

Anyways, I found a line missing a word and some typos if Silver uses magic to attack the Scouts:

Then the stranger [makes?] another sweeping motion. In the distance, bright ropes form in midair, too close for your pursuit [pursuers?] to avoid them.

There’s a li’l slip of code in the description of what weapon hangs in the MC’s office (at least with the axe).

You glance around - yes, this is still the school, but instead of a classroom you’re in a comfortably furnished office. $(word_an) axe hangs on one wall.

So, am I understanding this right? If you choose to not cooperate with the Baron’s messenger, your authority goes up… Is that due to fact you’re essentially declaring autonomy? If we have a high enough authority, would that not mean that, in later chapters, we should find people loyal to us? Unless bad things happened to anyone vocally supporting us, I guess. It sounds like all the mages of the academy were forced under the Protector’s… governance? I’m honestly starting to think the Protector is just sitting in our office at the academy.

Mara’s chat after recovering the wyvern… Are we supposed to be able to constantly keep going through the options? It feels a little weird to have the options still be present after going through all the possible choices within them. I honestly got confused for a while thinking it was a bug. :cold_sweat:

There’s a line when talking to Aden that I feel would do better with some variations based on the MC’s stats. Considering that my MC was at 70% Cooperative and 77% Kindhearted, it felt a li’l odd for this line to read out the way it does:

He does so, then waits some more. Clearly he’s not going to leave you in peace until he gets something off his chest. You sigh. “What is it?”

Regarding the personality types in general… There’s 3 in general, right? Would it be possible to show in the stats page which one we chose or are predominantly leaning towards?

There’s an itty typo when pulling Aden aside during the meeting with Vin:

You draw his out of the room so you can talk in private.

Meanwhile, I don’t know if I’ve just constantly been missing it before, but I really like the scene with the injured Silver. It looks like that’s one of the solid ways to boost Silver’s relationship stat, huh? At the cost of any and all possible interactions with Cren and Mara… That’s quite a choice. Comforting Silver was… a touching moment. How am I supposed to not trust them, @Scribblesome? :cry: I swear I’ll try harder next time around.

Edit: Not gonna lie, after that scene comforting Silver and telling him stories of my MC’s childhood, I got this vibe that really makes it feel like Silver’s acting like a teenager acting out against his parents. It really made it feel as though we’ve done something similar with them before. He was acting reminiscent to a kid remembering a fond memory of his parents… Silver isn’t like… a pokemon we nurtured and evolved, are they? I’m not going to be able to unsee that now. A li’l amorphous silver blob in my MC’s lap as he tells it stories. :joy:

9 Likes

Yes, I think I tried all the possibilities and I loved how nice Silver is (in their own way) when the relationship bar is high enough :blush:

I may be imagining things but does Silver have no choice but to obey if we give them an order?

1 Like

Nope, that is a bug. Or at least me forgetting to put hide reuse statements in.

@Lyanna: they don’t have to do what you say in the present. Who knows about the past…

@Lithophene : Authority will control what you’re, let’s say, able to get away with, in later chapters. And the Protector is probably sitting at the Baron’s desk in Kalisthan Keep, though I guess there could be a change depending on what exactly happened.

5 Likes

Been there and I do that… so your not alone there.

1 Like

Been a while since I played this wip. It seems you have added a bit to the older sections too. It’s looking good so far.

I got this during the flashback when we are adults at the school.

you’re in a comfortably furnished office. $(word_an) sword hangs on one wall.

Also when I went with Mara to get the wyvern I chose the option that said I knew this one and we could fly it. I got the failure screen and decided to check my stats. When I went back to the game the screen had changed to success. I switched back and forth several times between screens and each time it switched the results back and forth.

1 Like

There are three new minor personality types that are also supposed to be affected by the major disdain/kind stat. So, the sarcastic type could go to harsh and mocking with a high disdain or more friendly teasing with high kind.

I’m thinking of adding in a ‘about me’ page in the codex (which would be supposedly written by the MC, like the other entries), so that would help keep track of personality and background.

5 Likes

Yeah, at the time I posted that I’d only played through my good guy route, heh. I got a glimpse of the inverse personality types on my second run. :grin: I also approve of an about me page. I’d put a little notch in there if we had our MC romance someone in the past. I’m just imagining my guy scribbling in his journal: “I… may have bedded my apprentice? Unsure as of yet.

6 Likes

OK I went back over the code and I guess you had low animal skills? There’s a random roll that determines

1 Like