Author Marketing - 2018 and 2019

I have been pondering a patreon, but it’s more than a little daunting. I am far better at writing than marketing, but I’m glad it’s working out for you! It’s interesting to see non-artists doing it! Writers are so unerrepresented.

8 Likes

I thought it might be daunting too, but it basically takes 10 minutes to set up.

I looked at Kickstarter to possibly publish something with dead tress, but that’s so project specific, and it’s crazy hectic anyway with the short time frame and all or nothing approach.

I like how Patreon lets you start slow and build up over time with minimal pressure. And I think it’s a great platform for folks like us writing time-intensive stories, where you might want to deliver supplemental content to fill in the gaps between story releases.

And I loved Fallen Hero, btw. I read it on vacation and it saved me on my long flight home.

2 Likes

I just read this article from one of the Failbetter Games marketers, and it’s got useful tips about making sure your marketing material represents your game while making it stand out. May be of interest to people in this thread: https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/67383/insight-how-to-brand-your-game-through-words/

7 Likes

The advice that keeps getting repeated to authors going into 2019 is “get people to your email list!”

Facebook pages and other social media pages will come and go. The site owners will always try to figure out how to get you to pay to talk to your audience. Email remains the best way to directly connect to your audience. Services like MailChimp are free as long as your email list is relatively small.

So for 2019, I’m making it a goal to include my “join my email list” link with every reader response on Twitter, FB, my blog, etc. I want to funnel allll those folks to my email group.

And here is the link to join my S.U.P.E.R. group: http://eepurl.com/doKeYL

6 Likes

Very good advice… Just so long as nobody starts making a bunch of posts JUST to say “Hey guys, here’s my email list!” Obviously this is going to be seen as spam and people will probably stop following you. :yum:

2 Likes

Well, frankly if people want to include their email list links here, I don’t think anyone would mind, as it IS a thread geared directly (and exclusively) to marketing efforts. But yes, I was mostly just showing mine as an example anyway. I think most everyone on the forums who wants to be on my list is already there.

I included the image because another piece of advice is to “make your email group fun and create a sense of community with your readers.”

My email list used to be just called Eric’s “Readers Appreciation Group,” or RAG. You tell me which you’d rather be a part of, RAG or a SUPER group? Make it fun fun fun.

3 Likes