Auralites [WIP / Updated 9-24]

This is a very interesting game. I did not expect that the Mc would not be the main or most important character in the game. It’s a nice change to not be the chosen one for once. At the same time I still get the feeling the Mc is essential to the plot and has a special role to play. And the first dream when the shadow gets absorbed by the Mc had me get all kinds of ideas about what that could mean.
I also like your writing style and the characters so far. I feel though that we could maybe learn a bit more about them when we talk to them in the dojo.

All in all very nice. Can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Thanks! Regarding the characters so far: The beginning of the next chapter assuming you decide to go with them gives you the option to train with one of them so you’ll have the chance to get to know them better. But I can make some changes to the dojo scenes as well.

5 Likes

I feel like there will be a few betrayal choices coming up soon :grin:

I just feel like it could get to that point eventually

Lol, no spoilers. :wink:

4 Likes

Hey guys, I decided to push the release of Chapter 5 a few days to May 1st, just because I’m having a few coding issues and it’s all still a bit messy. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m also hoping to make some changes to the combat system before I go on anymore.

I just have a general question to anyone that is interested in giving their thoughts: Do you prefer combat be HP based (losing when you run out of health) or situational (losing if you make certain wrong decisions)? I’m a bit caught between the two, and would appreciate some input. As of now, combat outcomes have been purely situational and not based off of stats, but soon I hope to decide on one method before continuing. I’d appreciate any feedback in this regard. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Making wrong decisions seems the best for me.

The HP system makes it a little repetitive, methinks.

1 Like

I’m going with Situational

1 Like

I think both ways can be done well. @Lucid’s Lost Heir and @Samuel_H_Young’s Demon Hunter stories both do HP-based battles very well. They’re not repetitive (by repetitive I mean, ‘whack him until he’s dead! whee!’) but choosing unwisely leads to a loss of HP. That way, one or two wrong decisions usually isn’t enough to kill my MC. (Also @Lucid doesn’t kill my MC anyway, which I appreciate because I’ve seen that health metre go to zero more than once.)

Situational is fun too - more like @P_Chikiamco’s style in Slammed!, you mean, where your success or failure depends on using your skills and gauging your opponent well?

I haven’t written any combat scenes myself (although I’ve worked on more than a few in my job as an editor). I’d be interested to hear any authors with, er, combat experience weigh on in the various methods and their strengths and weaknesses. Might be worth starting a thread to discuss, even?

2 Likes

It might be interesting to make a topic about it, although it’s possible one might exist already.

Yes, by situational it would be based off a bit of your current stats and what you’re dealing with in your opponent. So far it’s my preferred way, but I’ve kept a health meter in the stats just in case I decide to switch. I’m not against the idea of an HP system, I think if I did it, it’d be something like if you fail a stat check you lose some HP, or something like that. The whole concept of auras in the game is that they run out if overused, so an HP system might work well in implementing that.

But I know I’m not a big fan of stat checks, and I want my game to not kill the player unless really deserved. I think an HP system might make things a bit too mechanical as a result, and lead to people playing it safe to their strengths. Stat checks are fun and all, but picking the same choices every time might become boring.

Hm, overall I’m pretty conflicted. Thanks for the input, and I welcome more, of course. I’ll rework scenes accordingly once I decide.

1 Like

HP system.

+characters

I already have a huge-ol crush on Ian. I’m hoping he’s an RO – also, if we’re assuming our MC is 18-20 years old, how old are the other characters? I assume all of this info will be listed in the glossary or characters portion of the stats screen, but I’m still rather curious.

Also, I definitely think situational would be best, however, I’ve always liked the ones that are a mix of both…Where you lose HP/Energy if you pick the wrong choice, but you don’t die outright. Sort of like in the Heroes stories (the original trilogy, not the Redemption Season).

2 Likes

The MC, Carmen, Leigh, and Ian are in the same range. I don’t really pick specific ages for characters but if I had to, Carmen is the age of the MC (as they went to school together), Leigh is 19 or so, and Ian is around 21. Kevin is 13. I don’t bother with ages, but I can definitely include them in the character section if anyone gets confused.

5 Likes

Situational is probably best in my opinion. But certain “hp style elements” could be present, too.

Like, using the situational method, the MC doesn’t win or lose after a big life-changing decision. Maybe several smaller ones of various degrees could make up the MC’s chances of winning or losing.

I think situational would fit the story best so far. I think you could have a system that if 3 choices are given depending on the players stats has one optimal choice one that results in injury on both parties but doesn’t completely take Mc out of the fight and then some that result in a failure where the attack misses and Mc gets injured. Maybe have a 3 fails and Mc is out thing or too many injuries and Mc can’t fight anymore. Hope that makes sense.

All good ideas, I’ll keep them in mind. I’m sure I can somehow implement an HP/stat system along with mostly situational fights. I’m just starting the last of the three fights possible in Ch. 6, then revise what I have, so I suppose I’ll take more feedback on the system then.

2 Likes

The age thing sounds like a good idea. I think it’d be good to add just for clarification honestly

I really love this wip it’s so different from other wips and is so much fun :+1: