Atheina: A Story of the Gods (WIP) [REVAMPED CHAPTER ONE; 21 August 2019]

While I admit having demons as our race would be awesome I think the point of having goblins as our race is starting out with a race that is scene as weak but still monsters.

1 Like

This is so Awesome can’t wait for more!

When choosing a name for your god. you were told that your god can only destroy, but then when your group were creating races you “created goblins”. Is that an oversight or did the one of the other gods create one for you?

Like explained earlier in the thread you can corrupt other items and races and Goblins were another race that you corrupted.

if there’s a demons as a race is it the one whom corrupted by the evil god or the one which already corrupted without evil god intervention(created to be evil)?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Damn, it was a short demo but the concept look and sound really cool and it was well written

i can already feel that our old friends are up to no good after so long being gods, especialy without the god of balance being around

and as the only race without an active god, the poor goblins must have gone through a lot of stuff

really can’t wait to see where this is going

3 Likes

About the whole creating stuff, didn’t our god creat pain, suffering and fear ? or does that just count as ‘corrupting’ the humans ?

also our god is never ‘accounted’ for in any of the ‘origin’ stuff, i mean, it’s logical for the ‘the univers was always around’ but the ‘big bang’ one tell us how each god was born except ours

It may be that our God always existed type: “and in the cold and gloomy emptiness there was always a God and this was the balancer”

yeah but since it’s not mentioned it kinda feel weird for him to just be there to invent suffering when he wasn’t mentioned before

2 Likes

The author should correct this in the next update I think

1 Like

is part of the story (aka the kids forgot about us while creating the story)

Well in the bible for instance in the old testament they never specify why the devil existed or why he was allowed to do as he pleased. But this was more so answered in the new testament. So it wouldn’t be to hard to imagine the people of atheina creating a reason for why we exist. I doubt their patron deities would really care about little details in their religious cults. Especially because most of them other then the goblins would paint us as a evil sinister being whom the gods tolerate but could wipe out with a flick of their wrists.

1 Like

pretty clever, since they had forgotten about us earlier to begin with, should be pointed out still IMO

if i was a theologian and the gods were as tangible as they are in this game ? i would theorise that the God that isn’t mentioned isn’t a God but a different kind of very ancient creature, especialy given that the God that isn’t mentioned happen to be the one that has a very different power set than the other (and also happen to be very absent), maybe even a being from outside our creation (so in short, i’d put the status of said God in question)

if they were more mystical, i would simply say that as a being of destruction denied the power of creation, there was no way for him to be created to begin with, since it’s his antithesis, so he just popped as a direct reaction / balance to the creation of the univers at the exact same time and since the scripture begin with what happen after the creation of the univers, he isn’t mentioned, since he was there already, even if not by much

or just that since being created is his antithesis, he can’t have been created and therefor just exist out of sheer feedback from the creation of the other god

There is also the option of interpreting that absence as a Taboo, therefor nobody talk about it because the Gods must have had their reason to hide it (i can even see some saying that your god is actualy born from the death of another god, maybe even killed by the other Gods and form a sect about the ‘unborn / dead God’)

and yeah, as Nomad said, most theologian from the other god would use that (both theory can be spinned to make our god look vastly inferior to the other, both from an importance point of view, a status point of view and a power point of view), it wouldn’t be hard to spin all this to make our god like a weak sinister being that the gods just use to do the dirty job once shit the fan but has no importance beyond that and is kept in check by the other gods’s vastly superior power

i mean, ‘my god is stronger than your god’ was basicaly the equivalent amongst ancient theologian of ‘my dad is stronger than your dad’

7 Likes

Wonder what they’ll think once I make it clear I’m the most powerful (hopefully) eventually

Probably the same thing that always happen when a power struggle end, they’ll put all the blames on the gods and say the treacherous gods betrayed their good brother because they were afraid that his power would stop their abuse and then spread their lies amongst the mortals, villifying his great accomplishement and the importance of his teaching

and if you lose, you’ll basicaly just end up being their equivalent of the Devil

that’s generaly how history treat that kind of conflict

2 Likes

Then I’ll just make sure not to lose

2 Likes

If I can master the mortal races and make them servants of the goblins I go this way, it seems but the face of a God of darkness

I would say there are a few ways to going about rectifying the lack of a mythos surrounding the creation of a certain God depending on whether or not you wish to maintain the Godly status of that entity:

A) You can do it like the New Testament. You have the original creation mythos that forgot or did not go into detail about the origin of a major entity (in this case The Devil) and subsequently drafted an “update” to the lore stating how it came to be, what does it do, how it operates, etc. All the while it eschews the truth into painting the Gods in a good light or actually presents a faithful retelling. So in this case the entity would be treated as if it had always been evil.

B) Some event happened concerning said entity that if surfaced would be troublesome to the faith. If this is the case then the theologists of this world can keep the entity as a God but twist their personality one way or another to make them seem like they were evil/at fault from the start - which would enforce the view of the pantheon as righteous saviors of the world and make taboo the simple mention of that entity. This would be the classic story of the Fallen Entity, lit our Lucifer.

C) The actual truth of the events had already been transcribed but for political reasons or by decree of the other Gods this “True” text has been sealed and a new version of the facts which benefits the Gods has been put in place. It could decreed that, instead of a God, what happened was Divine Punishment or a natural disaster. This could lead to the creation of a small sect of scholars, theologists or cultists that believe there was something more to this and thus spent many decades or even centuries in search of the truth. You could draw a parallel to this like… as if the Titans in Greek mythology were only Legend and the Gods kept them locked away or any evidence of them sealed from the Greeks in order to protect them.

D) The existence of this entity was documented but, at a later date, it was deemed so sacrilegious or dangerous to the faith that any record of it was destroyed completely without any amendment or altered canonical event. While this is a rather ham-fisted solution it’s not far from what has been performed in our own history. There are accounts of Egyptian Pharaohs who had entire tombs, murals and even sphinxes destroyed for a plethora of reasons in an attempt to make their legacy forgotten by time. Obviously this would admonish anyone from speaking about the tarnished entity.

5 Likes

Of course, you can always do a mash-up of one or more of those ideas.

Yeah, obviously there are a lot of way to go about it but the question was ‘how would i reason the holy text not telling us how one, and only one, of the gods didn’t came to be’

so i don’t think that going ‘new testatement’ works in that situation because as a theologian, especialy with Gods as tangible as those of the settings, i would simply not have the authority to make new holy scripture, especialy when said holy text come directly from the Gods (was kinda cool to participate in the creation of a setting’s holy text, maybe adding more to that scene could be a good idea, at least give us some info and input on our goblins)

(given that it’s just the Gods having litteraly just forgotten to add it by accident in our case, the Gods would probably be embarassed and either jumped on the first explaination proposed or make it a taboo)