Atheina: A Story of the Gods (WIP) [REVAMPED CHAPTER ONE; 21 August 2019]

And if you are making PC the weakest, it’s “The Underdog Rising To Fame”, which is just as cliche.
Could you… Just stick PC in the middle? Not the weakest, but maybe lower three?

2 Likes

I mean technically we are one of the strongest, all we gotta do is build back up our power.

2 Likes

True. The story is not about the underdog achieving success. The PC has this success thrust upon them and now they have to live with it. There is a theme I am going with the story, but now I am coming to the realisation that starting the PC as the weakest is just going against the story. Sticking the PC in the middle still will not work though…

Maybe that is one of the keys, to have the PC build up even though they are one of the strongest deities. And the challenges that come with that.

2 Likes

To be honest, everything is a bit cliched now on my opinion (Edit: what I meant was all the other novels are cliche, mostly the isekai ones.). But I think it is better that way for now. After all, I think our MC will be either confused or in denial that they are in a world they just created by imagination. Plus, having “Underestimated OP MC” is a bit cliched now too. For me, there’s no room for character development and I guess for more plot reasons. But being Underestimated is actually kind of fun. Hmm come to think of it, it is even better for our MC to have yet discover his godly powers.

Ahem, I’m sorry. :sweat_smile: This is just what I had in mind. I don’t mean to offend, I’m really sorry.

1 Like

If you did make us the strongest one from the beginning it wouldn’t make us OP. We would still have to struggle against the other gods who have been here far longer than we have and have a clear advantage and some of these god’s are just as strong as we are and outnumber us.

The story would then be about the MC struggling to adapt to this new world while being a feared powerful god and what to do with this power and the responsibilities that come with being a god. Maybe even also about the relationship with our former club members who are completely changed and allpowerful after years of being a god.

I’ve been playing to much God of War…

5 Likes

Nice, and i agree with that, some things need to be done, sometimes is inevitable.
But will be violent paths too no?
Because violence is cool sometimes, one of these situations :smile: (one of the best battle scenes I’ve ever seen in movies):

6 Likes

That works. Reclaiming lost power is definitely not the same as being an underdog and starting from scratch.
And it would fit the timeline better. If an athlete out of shape and a novice can lift the same weight, it would take an athlete a few months to get back to his strength, whereas novice would have to work a year for it.

It’s alright, you don’t need to apologize.

1 Like

The PC can be the third most powerful god and still not be overpowered.

While it’s still to early to tell, I presume that some semblance of the relationships from high school still stand.

If the MC is the third most powerful god, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s over twice as powerful as the weakest god.

Which would mean that even an alliance with the second weakest god would be a problem, requiring the PC to use their head instead of just stomping around like an 800 lb gorilla.

5 Likes

I see. Though in the contrary, MC is already kind of powerful, I mean he is basically a death god (I think). Though in MC’s case, his/her power is dormant yet soon to be awakened unlike his/her friends are already awakened, I assume…or is it?

Personally I think making the main character one of the most powerful Gods but unable to tap into their full power or unable to control the full extent of their powers (for any number of reasons of your choosing) is a fantastic idea which I would be fully supportive of - there’s very few things more powerful than the God of Death after all.

So, if I may drop my input, I think what sells the concept of an Overpowered protagonist is not the overpowered-ness of the protagonist itself but rather how interesting and effective their supporting cast is.

(Disclaimer: I’m not saying this is how you should do it, it’s just my view of this).

I think that if you use the PC as more of the leader/the guide/the manipulator while the PC’s allies/minions enact these plans or the PCs will and having them showcase properly adequate levels of bad-assery would be fantastic. The player would feel proud in their abilities and see results of your influence bearing fruit. I think the greatest show of strength is to change everything around you without lifting a finger.

Of course, as in any fantasy story (especially interactive ones), there should be scenes where the PC just performs acts of pure, awe-inspiring and unabashedly ridiculous power but those should be in order to strike a point home or put the final nail in the coffin so that the finality and the weight of achieving your goal amplifies such a display even more.

Or at the bare minimum there should be displays of power simply because the PC wants to be an evil asshole. :joy:

7 Likes

This is my opinion on the mater at hand.

There is “good” and there is “Evil”, they must exist at the same time because without one there can’t be the other. for there to be good there must be something for it to be good compare to, and for there to be evil there must be something for it to be evil compared too.

i say you god as the balancer, you must be the weakest in power. to balance out Chloe’s strength. but as Chloe’s opted for no moral code, she has the least influence besides the racial purity, which most like took century or two as they have been there for over 10 years by then. so as you must built your power base up. to fight her and maybe beat her/kill her.

because of being the balancer you can’t kill them all as you then there is no “evil” to balance out your “good”. if you can kill them all then what will happen due to your godly power your influence will plummet to 0 thus causing you to lose control and power over the goblins, as this happen to balance out your influence will rise till it find equilibrium. but as there is only your and you are “good” then there is no “evil” as there is only you and you are “good” and as there is no “evil” then there can’t be good as there is no “evil” for “good” to be compared to. this leaves a world without morals.

you are also the limiter as to continue the Chloe and MC scenario. you must have little to no power as your are a good, but to make up for the weakness you have nearly absolute influence, why to balance out Chloe’s little to none influence. why does Chloe not have absolute power because to balance it the must be good and evil (See above paragraph) and to have that there must only be you. this leaves us in the predicament explained by the above paragraph.

I like the idea of being one of the 3 strongest gods I feel that might cause a bit of resentment from the other gods this guy just randomly shows up and wields more power than you after to them centuries of accumulating power

I played the demo and it was great i hope you could finished this…

The book you are looking for is called lost paradise it is written from the point of view of the devil.

I think I can help :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you for that I am still new to this .

1 Like

What’s even more interesting about the power of names is that in Egyptian mythology the goddess Isis actually tricks/steals ra`s name and takes it for her own. Leaving him with the name ra.

1 Like

Hmm corrupting a human what blood thirsty creature of the night do we know of that is immortal and is considered to be a"monster"

1 Like

Maybe it’s just the cynic in me, but I’d want corrupted humans to be…humans.

After all, in fiction, humans are already one of the bad guy races.

In fantasy fiction, it’s almost never “Oh no, we’re being attacked by a band of evil elves/halflings/pixies/gnomes!”

“Oh no we’re being attacked by an evil band of trolls/orcs/goblins/humans!” all the freaking time though.

10 Likes

Well if you really think about it humans are the closest thing to demons in real life. We destroy conquer and enslave other creatures or people with little to no remorse.

But I don’t know why but I hope demons aren’t put into the story cause demons are always overpowered. At least besides imps but I think would be more interesting would be if the PC could form like a group or council in the underworld that would judge the souls kind of like the furies in Greek mythology saga after Athena changed them of course. Or we could go with the original three that would torture and hunt down those who were seen as wicked or evil.

3 Likes