Atheina: A Story of the Gods (WIP) [REVAMPED CHAPTER ONE; 21 August 2019]

We could provide our ro with power to consume life to extend it
Also its not really my problem if half of your race got corrupted not my fault they poked evil artifacts

4 Likes

This pains me. I guess I probably won’t be having a RO in this book. :sob:

1 Like

I’ll wait to see how the ROs among the 6 are and what immortal RO we’ll meet.

I must have hope lol.

1 Like

Not sure if you already answered this but do we have to return to earth?

1 Like

I was going to ask if you just wanted the Dark Elves because they’re hotter than goblins, but I think this post answers that question. :rofl:

@zenith8 At the beginning of the game one of the first options is whether the world/universe already existed or not.

1 Like

I just hope my conclusions were founded or at least were near the mark, lest I’m making a fool out of myself. Heh. @Darkner

2 Likes

after playing the demo

Behold! I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds!

Haha for real, I’m loving this!

13 Likes

When you put it that way, then yes they expected the results that will come from their actions. What they don’t expect is that the the ‘imaginary’ world they created to come alive and have living NPCs.

Have you ever seen the card game ‘Once Upon a Time’? What I had in mind was a group of kids trying to make an interesting story. So one might start with “In the beginning there was nothing…” and another person would continue and try to add their own little twist “A primordial dragon spat out the entire planets…” and another person will link that up with another idea and twist.

But writing it like that, I feared it might confuse the reader very much having so many points of views interrupting the flow of the story. Therefore I only added a few interruptions to the narrative of the myths (Jonathan is usually the one who interrupts the creation myths to make a comment and is told to stop interrupting).

I never actually that about it like that. I thought maybe the authorities will try to protect the PC fearing that they might be taken next. But I see your point, I’ll have to change that.

That pretty much summarises the game

The PCs god has very destructive powers. You will find out that the general population of Atheina does not pray explicitly to you. They do recognise that you are one of the seven gods. Just saying your god’s name is seen as inviting death in their lives. Those who pray to you are usually goblins (and some other monsters) and people who do not mind going to the ‘dark’ side.

In this case it was a soldier asking to be granted powers

You are on the mark. Yes that is a goblin praying to their patron god. It would be difficult for the goblins to pray to Apseudes who is the patron god of the very elves that are conquering the goblin lands.

It’s complicated. There is an element of opportunism; growing one’s strength by conquering weaker neighbours that do not have their patron god to intervene. But also, not all actions done by the god’s creation is from the god them self. So it is entirely plausible that the others were not directly involved in the persecutions or ordered it.

It could be the case that the others also found the reincarnation system in place when they had arrived. There are features in the game of Atheina that was not implemented by the club. You will find out sooner what some of these are. But one of these new features are fantasy races that were not created by any one of the gods. Who or what put it there. And could this person or thing be the reason why your group is stuck in Atheina?

This is a tough one, because it changes depending on what moral code you chose. There are no sins against the Gods if you chose there to be no divine moral code. However, that does not mean there are no standards to judge souls. Societal standards can be used for example. I can tell you now that it is not the Gods themselves that decide who gets reincarnated. I’m tempted to give more but that will be too much spoilery.

Since you have been away, there have been ‘stewards’ who helped administer the underworld. Someone had to do it, right? Their reactions to your arrival will be different. Some might hold a grudge. Not specifically for the souls but that the Underworld serves a really good highway, to smuggle goods around. Others will be happy and others indifferent. You will find out as the story continues.

:grin: Interesting

I must confess, I am impressed:
I think I did mention in some earlier post that one of the reasons Chloe is the most powerful is because of the strict theocratic state she guided the elves to create. But I never mentioned why even though Chloe was at first against having a moral code. You have discovered the main reason why she took such drastic actions

She did somewhat agree with Jonathan’s but let us not forget she is not as radical as him. I have yet to thrash out Luca’s personality in the prologue: but she is not someone who likes to dive deep into politics. She is more likely to seek peace and cooperation.

It is interesting you made an ideological analogy to Stalin and Trotsky. What Luca was presenting was more in line with Rawls’s principles of justice.

:clap: You must be a psychic. But Henry does not personally have a dislike for the Orcs and Goblins. But the humans on the other hand…

I promise you, Dylan has many tricks under his sleeves. He also is going to be the character I thrash out in the prologue later on. In any case, where do you think the rare metals (Mithril, Orichalcum, and Adamanite to name a few) of Atheina come from? The dwarfs hold a monopoly on such minerals

True, they do not have omniscient. But gosh, you are so pessimistic. It does not have to be another Lord of The Flies scenario. What makes you think they cannot cooperate with one another?

Depends on the domain you are talking about. If you are talking about the Underworld itself, then currently I have no plans to customise it. But it will be interesting have an Underworld that looks pretty. I might add that later on the game.

If you are talking about worldly domain such as the Goblins, then yes.

:thinking: Shouldn’t the Underworld be a place where you do not want to visit?

Of course, every leader needs to delegate.

15 Likes

But I do not plan on adding mortals as ROs currently. Because the game is meant to span a long period in the world. I will see later on the game if it would be wise to make ROs out of mortals. But you will be able to romance other ROs besides the six gods though

That is the problem. I have to go back to the drawing board and see if it is possible to extend a life by corrupting their body. Usually corrupting someone results in their lifespan shortening but in return they are granted a lot of power.

Indeed, such mysteries… But you do have your memories. At least some.

No, you do not have to at the end.

Your conclusion were near mark. I am impressed. You have a sharp eye. You are challenging me to come up with more interesting but plausible plots now. But I will leave a few crumbs to help you along your dark path.

8 Likes

Can we grant destructive powers to beings who pray to use like giving the future goblin king incredible strength. Just had a great idea if we gave beings pain can we temporarily take it away and make berserkers

4 Likes

With great power come great responsibility. But yes, you can grant such powers. They are not limited to strength though.

4 Likes

so we can create pain free, incredibly strong, durable, fast, and fearless berserkers I kind of hope we can gift the goblin shaman with the ability to create those with a magic ritual (Probably would make it costly to do so like significantly shortens there life)

3 Likes

@kingzug, yes the price of accepting dark powers is shortening one’s lifespan.

2 Likes

Are undeads and necromancers a thing in Atheina? And what about demons?

1 Like

Not want to visit the underworld?

Please, people are dying to visit!

20 Likes

You proud of that joke mate?

T_T

1 Like

Man I love puns like that! So bad but yet so good.

1 Like

Proud? Nope, I first heard that joke on Mork and Mindy, so it’s at least as old as I am.

Besides, the idea of the afterlife not being a pleasant place is entirely culture based.

The Egyptians’ obsession with death was more an obsession with the party not ending with death, for example. In Greek mythology, Hades’ domains ranged from places of punishment to never ending delight.

1 Like

Magic exists, just like any other fantasy RPG. So Necromancy is open to those mortals who wish to partake in it. Demons, I have not included them in this world.

5 Likes

Does Chloe agree or even like what the elves are doing? Or does she kinda just go along with it since she is their patron?

1 Like