Artists Needed for Children's Books!

Hi all! For anyone who doesn’t know me, I recently finished an entry for the contest here, a comedic (in theory at least) sci-fi story called Nuclear Powered Toaster. I’ve decided to try and experiment with publishing some conventional stuff on Amazon as well, and to that end I am looking for people interested in illustrating several children’s books I have written. Because the amount of money to be made is unsure (and likely not to be extremely high, at least at first), this would be good for people interested in exposure or just getting in some paid practice. Money split is easy: 50/50 for everything earned aside from whatever the platform takes first.

Since this is experimental, I’m looking to do different artists and/or art styles for each book to see what works best. So feel free to respond even if someone else has. If you’re interested I’ll let you know what projects are still unclaimed.

So any questions, comments, or criticisms for this plan, feel free to drop them here.

3 Likes

This was the first image result for “nuclear powered toaster” on Google:

npt

5 Likes

Once upon a time the old site would have been the first result. Sometimes I am sad I let it lapse. Other times I remember that as cheap as it was, I still wasn’t doing anything with it for years, and didn’t know how to keep it up anyhow since our webmaster wasn’t available anymore.

Sounds like you need a Nuclear Powered Webmaster

Not anymore, I canceled the site and some spam blog has NuclearPoweredToaster.com now.

1 Like

Figure I will put this back out there, see if anyone is interested. Just think: only have to do the art once, at your own pace, and then you sit back and reap the rewards indefinitely. Not bad, eh?

3 Likes

Can i dm you for more info?

1 Like

I am channeling my inner necromancer and raising this thread from its eternal rest because I have decided I want to put some of my Parenting Simulator earnings to work by trying my hand at getting some kid’s books out there. I have four written (complete with notes for the art; I used to write webcomics, so I’m reasonably well-versed in trying to spell out what I want things to look like so someone more skilled can make it manifest), with two I particularly want to see come about.

No one was interested when it was just a 50/50 split of potential earnings, which I can understand given the iffy odds of success in a world filled to the brim with self-published authors. So here’s the new deal: I’ll pay $200 for the art (which would be 25-30 color pages), with $50 of that $200 up front once we’ve established some mutual trust and general timeframes for completion. That $200 would basically be an advance; once the book had cleared more than $200 net income, we’ll split all net income above that 50/50. If it fails to ever reach that threshold, well, you’ll have made more off it than I did, which is just too bad on me.

Any examples of your work would be recommended, of course. In particular, one of these stories would require fairly lifelike animals (not overly anthropomorphized, although some will end up wearing certain clothing items), and the other would involving drawing planets that would, in fact, be very anthropomorphized.

I intend to put this out to the world at large, but wanted to give first crack to this community since it’s treated me so well over the last couple of years. And in particular I am still giving @Isa right of refusal on the planet story if she’s still of a mind to do it, since she had expressed interest before and I found working with her on the Parenting art to be a terrific experience.

Show me what you got, CoGizens!

5 Likes

Up to the point when I vanished from the internet which was not my best move.

Yes I just read this post from December, which is not the best move, either.

2 Likes

You’re always worth waiting for, my friend.

2 Likes