Arthurian Tale: Camelot [153k] [Sep 29 2023]

When Kay proclaims he will guard the door to protect his little brother’s virtue on the wedding night, rather than the flip out and obedient option, I’d like a more middle ground reaction. Something like “suit yourself”, that shows we don’t appreciate the attitude, but aren’t really interested in nightly adventures. Could that be a possibility? It doesn’t really change anything, but the roleplaying value.

Or include a dialogue line when in the same scene it transitions to the choice to hold hands with arthur or not, where we tell him Kay does not like us corrupting his purity so we can’t hold hands out in the open (being sarcastic)? Just a thought.

and also yes, the lunch scene is hilarious in this version! the fact that you can be awkward, too and ask Morgana about the soup, dragging the joke is appreciated as well! (I had this voice in the back of my mind yelling “my cabbages!” in Airbender cabbage merchant voice. cabbage jokes just feel nostalgic nowadays.) even dad shows some personality with his sarcastic remarks and it’s really nice!

9 Likes

I Just Wanted 2 Say I Really Enjoy This World & Whatever Different Take On It U Can I’m Looking 4Ward 2 More I Was Just Wondering If We Will B Able 2 Learn & Use Magic?

1 Like

@Ginger_Aile
Thank you so much! I will be noting down your suggestions.

@JD007
Thanks! MC will not be able to learn magic, sorry about that.

4 Likes

Thanks! I Don’t Kno If It Would Make Sense Depending On What Ur Doing But It Would B Cool If U Can Get An Animal Companion That U Could Bond With & Help U With Missions & Things Like A Raven If Not It’s Fine!

1 Like

Bird companions are so underrated. I want a pet parrot.

What a great WIP! I Love Arthurian IFs, and I can’t wait to read more. :slight_smile: Do you have a tumblr?

4 Likes

Thank you! No, I don’t have a tumblr currently.

4 Likes

Made a little notion page for people to keep updated on how I’m doing. I’ll update the word counts every so often so you can see where my time is going.

My current focus is writing chapter 3. Once chapter 3 is drafted out, I will go back to chapter 2 and edit and polish it before sharing it with the forum. I’m doing it this way since I’m not much of a planner and it gives me some breathing room to check for any inconsistencies and make sure everything lines up correctly.

Current Progress Tracker

13 Likes

Can you tell us with which ROs we can have kids the natural way since arthur/elaine doesn’t want children or will we be able to change their mind later in the story?

1 Like

Morgana would likely only have children using magic, but the other RO’s are open to naturally having children.

5 Likes

I feel like a forced marriage with no mingling of bloodlines could be handled a lot more simply with a treaty and a hostage exchange. But Arthur still wants to marry you for some reason. Like if he just wanted to get laid there’s plenty of servants around.

And then the whole thing with Kay or whatever creeping outside your room too keep you from getting it on, why would we even bother if the marriage is just a sham to keep your father from invading and stomping Camelot again? I mean if Arthur did show up outside my door I’d tell him to jog on anyway.

There better be an option to cuck him and have someone else’s kid while still having initially married him.

Like in the stories where Lancelot the Chad goes behind his back and destroys the whole kingdom. I want to do that.

Also Merlin can suck it. I mean yeah he’s correct that I’m obviously not loyal to Camelot because I’m bloody being held prisoner. But still, he can suck it.

9 Likes

I mean by that token same sex marriage is an odd thing for the story. They wouldn’t be able to reproduce, even if they wanted to (unless magic babies). An alliance marriage can be more than just “forced baby making”. It can include things like fealty, exchange of power/dowry, etc, a happy marriage of the families. They are now kin by way of marriage, regardless of offspring.

Why would the marriage be over? It’s not like divorce was a thing at the time. Divorce was spousal death. Which, if one spouse killed the other, it wouldn’t matter about the kids. The key factor is the marriage, not the children. Again, this theory ostracizes gay/lesbian MCs playing, suggesting their marriage (despite love) is less than, because of inability to reproduce.
I think it’s perfectly fine and puts all relationships on the same footing.

Except marriage is literally a contract. The families are merged still. An alliance was made via contract. There is no telling what another generation afterwards will decide on upholding it. Regardless of children. They could snuff out the children and go about the war they want. What’s important is the original contract being upheld as it is considered a holy union.
Again this argument is really messed up, because again, it devalues marriages of gay/lesbian readers.

2 Likes

Would Arthur ever change their mind about kids?

Temporary kin without kids though, cause once that marriage is over the families have no obligations or connections to each other.

2 Likes

No, for now I have no plans for him to change his mind.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see A/Es reaction when another RO or the MC gets pregnant :rofl:

That’s literally what I’m talking about, death. Once A/E and MC die of old age or whatever then the two families have no connection to each other. I didn’t say it’s a bad thing, but it’s clear that arrangement is just a temporary one and not something that would bring them together.

4 Likes

So obviously whoever succeeds king whatever his name was of the caramelized kingdom would simply invade Camelot after a generation of preparation in order to right past wrongs that have been festering for decades

Honestly just thinking about it a bit makes it obvious the temporary hostage situation is actually making things worse by driving the aggrieved king even further into his hatred.

I guess Arthur and Merlin are determined to forge the weapons of their own destruction.

6 Likes

Pretty much lol

1 Like

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that this entire situation is a bit ridiculous. I understand you want to have courtly romance - but this kind of romance was traditionally between a knight and a married woman, the point being forbidden love. MC and Arthur are married and shouldn’t be artificially kept separated because “they aren’t ready” as decided by some self-appointed guardian.
Teenagers have sex when they are ready, and the only reason to control that is to prevent pregnancy - which isn’t a concern here, especially with a same-sex couple.
Instead, I’d suggest just having Arthur/Elaine not be ready for this step, it would feel more organic and less well, question-inducing. And it would most likely land you in the same spot, a year later when they are both 18.

9 Likes

Kay is overstepping his bounds in that scene, he wasn’t really thinking about pregnancy risk. He just really didn’t like MC at this point and didn’t want Arthur to become too attached or influenced if MC turned out to be a traitor. This topic will very much be explored again in a later chapter though.

12 Likes

Ok that changes everything :ok_hand: Thank you for your answer!

1 Like