Arthurian Tale: Camelot [79k] [Oct 2 2022]

(In regards to the Arthur and Elaine not wanting kids)

I decided to replay the game and look through the thread. This is honestly the only thing I’ve found that I don’t like about the game. They’re what, 15? I think it’s too early to make that decision and for there to be zero chance for that to change. I don’t mind if having kids isn’t an element of the game, it just seems like a weird character element to have in the game

1 Like

Fair, but they are the only character with that element.

Ah I should also add that the reason they tell you so soon is so players arn’t disappointed like 4-5 chapters in. I wanted to make sure the player was fully aware before pursuing anything. I realise it could come as quite a surprise otherwise given the setting.

4 Likes

This isn’t necessarily directed at Anna, but the relevant point of what I have to say is based on this specific part of her comment.

This is a personal thing not necessarily about how A/E are in this WIP, but it needs to be said regardless.

I preface my perspective with this acknowledgement; unless stated otherwise, A/E aren’t necessarily aspec, but to suggest that someone “can’t know at such a young age” fully ignores the existence of literal millions of such people out there in the world, particularly those who are aro-ace, but plenty of non aro-ace people definitely know fairly young that they don’t want kids.

I am aspec. Distinctly aro, too. The single most annoying thing I had to deal with growing up is this line exactly; “You never know. Maybe you’ll change your mind at some point.”

Why did I have to be above the age of 25 to have my belief, and my awareness of what I do or don’t want in life questioned constantly by both strangers, and family just because they were older? I knew before age 12 that it was never going to happen because I–with absolute conviction–do not want marriage, or kids. No one has the implicit right to question someone’s thoughts regarding the conception of families. You can be curious, sure. You can personally disagree, but you are not right for having a different view.

The MC is not me, and maybe mine would have differing opinions from me about the matter, but not even one of the MC’s I will create in this story will address A/E’s personal convictions about child rearing as though they have no idea what they’re talking about, or treat them like they’re insane for such a personal choice they make very clear for the MC’s sake.

The author has addressed this issue several times with a great deal of patience, and sensitivity. You are not required to romance A/E if their trait of not wanting kids turns you off to them. A/E are very open about the MC having the freedom to love who MC will because they would rather you be a close friend if your MC can’t find it in them to justify the romantic aspects of being married to someone who doesn’t want to have a family. You might find role-playing as someone not yourself fun if you gave it a chance. I do that plenty when trying a game’s romances, and have fun because it doesn’t have to be me to enjoy playing through the story of an IF.

10 Likes

I’m sure everyone will continue playing how they want to play? I liked that we have response options.

4 Likes