Arthurian Tale: Camelot [153k] [Sep 29 2023]

Not at all, it’s easy for me to look past problems since I wrote it, so it really is vital knowing how other people are perceiving the game so far.

3 Likes

Can you add a cheat option for stats I know not everyone like those but the ppl who think that ruins the fun they can just not choose it

12 Likes

I may consider adding a cheat option at some point. For now though, I will continue to improve chapters and write new content.

10 Likes

Small Update!

Hey folks!

Just a small update. Not a ton of new content, but I’ve been implementing suggestions from recent feedback. What happens to your title is now explained and some parts of chapter one have been added to which might help pacing a little bit.

Update Info

Wordcount: 79k
Without code: 73k

Prologue:

• Added two new selectable names.

Chapter 1:

• Expanded meeting Morgana.
  • Added more choices to the first feast.
  • Added more to wedding dance.
  • Adjusted/slightly added to talking to your guards at the wedding.
  • Slightly added to your arrival day.
  • Slightly added to meeting A/E.
  • Re-ordered the peace deal and marriage deal to make them clearer.
  • Added explanation of what would happen to your title if you married.

Chapter 2:

• Less accusatory language if you lied. (Siege branch)
  • Added responses to Kay being rude.
  • Added additional responses to Lunete in several places. (Siege branch)
38 Likes

I swear the IF community alone made me a fan of Arthurian Fantasy

Always glad to see more of them can’t wait to see where this goes

9 Likes

There was a few typos and i literally forgot where they were but the story is something i like!!! praying for the update to be great as well! :))))

1 Like

You know, there is something I really like about this game and that is the fact that there is no jumping jack personality nonsense interfering with our freedom of exploration or built. You don’t get penalised for merely saying something nice or brutal to someone, or for being with x instead of y. You have your skills and that’s that. I’ve always been of the belief that you can do a lot more by not drowning a character in unnecessary stats. Anyway, great story and I can’t wait to see more of it.

4 Likes

Progress Update:

Although October has been slower than usual, I have completed a short (11k-ish) game for the Halloween Jam hosted by @poison_mara. Chapter Three will most likely not be completed in November, but I will keep everyone updated.

I am implementing feedback, so please continue to share your thoughts. Please let me know which parts of the game suffer the most from pacing issues. It’s a less daunting task if I start with the most obvious/notable/annoying parts. Thank you all very much for your support so far. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

oh wow, I was surprised at how much much I enjoyed this story! It was quite long for a demo, and left me wanting more. Arthurs akwardness, in fact most of the characters personality are quite different then what most paint them as. Morgana kind and protective of her half brother, Arthur and his shy awkward conversation, merlins less then noble distrust.I also love how you included how same sex or ace people can have children with magic

8 Likes

Just a quick reminder to check out the Halloween game jam entries: Halloween Jam 2022 - #146 by will

Other than that, Arthurian Tale is coming along nicely. Whenever I finish a section, I’m just buzzed to get started on the next. Right now, I’m writing up a scene where you can have fun in the snow with a few characters.

11 Likes

I can see the game is following classical IF formatting (few narrative texts, frequent choices, fast-paced, straight and to-the-point storytelling). I’m enjoying it so far :smile: A break from the text-wall’ed (i don’t even know if that was an actual word) stories here.

Does our choices really makes an impact? You seems familiar, have you any other project? Can you read?

1 Like

Sorry for the long response, XD I’ll split it up to make it easier.

Overall: Yes, I certainly want them to have an impact.

Big choices

In short: Yes!

Explained:
The big choices certainly do, e.g. Marrying Arthur/Elaine or not changes his/her reactions and expectations of you throughout. Not being married allows you to have relationships without fear of having an affair on a monarch and not being officially allied with Camelot. Being married allows you to have an affair and I plan on implementing a light barony management aspect to the married route.

Telling everyone if your father will betray Camelot or not is also another big choice that will have consequences either way. ‘Betraying’ Camelot or lying about your father’s intentions will result in the war branch throughout Chapter 2 and the effects of the war going ahead will change how badly Camelot is affected throughout the later chapters. Telling the truth results in the peace path and will obviously result in less damage to Camelot. It may also open up more subtle ways of betraying Camelot in the future if you didn’t take the most obvious choice in that chapter.

Smaller choices

In short: They change the text and add unique conversations.

Explained:
Being a vegetarian/drinking/right-handed, are only flavour choices really and might bring in a few unique dialogues with certain characters. There are a couple rarer choices you can make that get remembered just for fun: Mentioning your dislike of violence to A/E, telling Kay you hate fish and later eating fish in front of him, the scars you can obtain etc.

A lot of the choices are to allow the player to react and respond in the way they like, and/or avoid spending time with characters they might not be that interested in talking to. How you speak to characters can change their relationship to you, and your relationship to characters changes their general responses to you if you try to do certain things with them or approach certain topics.

Dialogue choices

In short: Yes, they change their opinions of you and control how much you can influence them.

Explained:
You need a high enough relationship to access certain scenes, there’s a negotiation-talk scene that can only be done if Kay likes you enough, for example, in the peace branch.

If you marry A/E but never spend any time with them or actively are mean, they will not have a romantic relationship with you, even if you want it. You require a positive relation for the option to not be platonic. You will naturally need high enough relationships with the characters to enter into relationships in general. I plan for relationships to be capable of ending if you’re not fulfilling that character’s individual needs. (They won’t just break up with you out of nowhere, I will include serious talks where a RO’s needs will be made clear when you’re lacking.)

In Chapter 3, which I’m writing now, there’s a fairly important relationship check that could change how a major character views another character for the rest of the game. If you plan on betraying Camelot, having allies will be very important and will impact the endings ideally.

Hmm, I recently took part in the Halloween game jam that I posted above, but other that, this is the first piece of interactive fiction I have ever shared publicly. And yes :slight_smile: I can read lol

12 Likes

“Rest”

One should never apologize for writing a long respond (speaking this as someone that easily create essay to answers a simple question).

Thank you for clearing this up. I just concern at does my choices impact the story and characters’ relationship—or not at all. I’m eager to see those relationship point mechanics being implemented in the future.

Fyooh … what a relief.

2 Likes

Pondering whether it’s worth making a discord server? I know some people might prefer a slightly less public or more convenient place to talk about the game or make suggestions. Feel free to vote :slight_smile:

• Yes, I’d join it.
  • Wait until after the Chapter 3 release.
  • It’s a bit soon for that.
  • I don’t see the point/don’t use discord.

0 voters

4 Likes

I always found it funny how people can register on one site, just to end up on another. Here you have all choice script games and choice script related wips and threads under one roof. I personally would get a headache having to jump back and forth like that and for what? That’s just how I see it at least.

11 Likes

Progress Update:

Lots done this month. I’ve been working on Chapter 3 again and dedicated time to implement a ‘Skip to Chapter 3’ feature for those who want to get straight to the new content. It’s also a great way to test out each romance if you want to. It’s not perfect and is probably unbalanced, but at least for testing it should be useful.

It’s not quite finished yet, but it’s getting closer. Though even when the chapter is finished I usually like to spend some time editing/testing/polishing. Hopefully no one minds the wait too much. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

can we ask her if mc can get child with another woman?i think mc will need heir. that child can be strong contender for throne too.

or mc can have child with another woman without asking her?

2 Likes

First it was on Tumblr, then you discovered the author has a personal blog that sometimes updated about the wip, soon you found out about the discord server that gave more lore materials you’ve never heard before, then we have extra contents from Patreon which you need to pay in favor getting more of the lore, and now you exhausted to jumping between freakin different platforms to get the new info updates.

10 Likes

I doubt that. Your cousin is your default heir until further notice.

1 Like