Apocalypse Chronicles [WIP] - 127k words. Updated 09/26/23

Hello everyone!

I’ve begun work on my first ever ChoiceScript game called “Apocalypse Chronicles”.

Story Overview:
In Apocalypse Chronicles, you find yourself in the heart of a post-apocalyptic world, following a devastating nuclear conflict between China and the United States. The game begins on a seemingly ordinary day when you, the protagonist, are enjoying a day off from work. As you relax at home, the world as you know it crumbles around you.

You’ll start by choosing your character’s background from nine different professions and further customize your gender, sexual interests, appearance and skills. Your decisions will impact your survival abilities and shape the way you navigate this new, unforgiving world.

As tensions between the US and China reach a boiling point over an incident in the South China Sea, one side makes the fateful decision to launch a nuclear strike. Seattle, your home city, suffers a catastrophic blast. Miraculously, you survive the initial destruction, but your fight for survival has only just begun.

Your journey will take you through the perilous ruins of Seattle, where you will encounter other survivors and hostile factions, all while battling the elements and the lingering effects of radiation. You’ll need to scavenge for resources, form alliances, and make difficult choices to ensure your survival in this harsh, post-apocalyptic world.

In Apocalypse Chronicles, the choices you make will determine your fate, the fate of those you meet, and possibly even the future of the whole country. Forge your path through the wreckage of a world torn apart by war and discover what it truly means to survive in the face of unimaginable adversity.

Current Status:
I’ve written a good amount of the Character creation and prologue scenes so far. The total word count is around 127.000 words at the moment. But many decision points and interactions are still missing in the prologue.

Changelog (09-26-2023)

• The police officer prologue content was enhanced by over 20k words.
  • Bug fixes
  • Under the hood work

Future Plans:

• Add more profession specific content to the prologue
  • Start work on Chapter 1

To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/go/13356
General Feedback Survey: General Feedback
Survey on the Farmer’s Storyline: Survey on Farmer's Storyline
Survey on the Soldier’s Storyline: Survey on Soldier's Storyline
Survey on the Police Officer’s Storyline: Survey on Police Officer's Storyline

In terms of feedback, I’m open for anything at the moment. Please share your thoughts on spelling, grammar or narrative issues with me. I’m thankful for every input I can get.

171 Likes

Shouldn’t Sane/Insane scale start at 100%? I find it a bit weird that we’re already 50 higned/50 unhigned by the start of apocalypse

2 Likes

Good point. I think that was something I wanted to change already but forgot about it, since there are no decisions so far that influence it. I will change that in the next update.

4 Likes

Does the demo end when we only have the change clothes and weapons choice because after that im just stuck in a loop.

12 Likes

This looks interesting, I’ll definitely check it out. I’m not sure if this is helpful, but I found this photo that I thought you might want

11 Likes

dont know if its supposed to be like this but the line for going home empty handed and going home successful is on the same page

as well as the basement opton

I like it so far! As we’re going through all those activities, there’s no end to it. I finished all of them, but it still wanted me to keep going

3 Likes

Yes. At the moment that is the cut off point. But I will update the demo regularly with new content.

Thanks for that. I wanted to use something like NukeMap or Nuclear War Simulator to get some statistical data on the effects of a chinese nuke in Seattle. So your picture is a good starting point.

Thanks for that. Looks like a bug, I will fix that in the next update.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Alright, I have to say this before anybody else does

Patrolling the Cascadia almost makes you hope for a nuclear winter.

10 Likes

Im having trouble here. It’s not letting me move on despite making my choices. Is this the end of the game so far?

Yes, at the moment, after all activities are done, the demo ends. But I will update the game soon with more content, starting with the police officer profession.

2 Likes

The first update is here.

Changelog 03-26-2023

• Fixed a bug in the supermarket scene
  • Renamed the Variable Sanity (It’s called Mental Health now). So far, no decisions impact it yet.
  • Added new content exclusive to the Police Officer profession (around 7.000 new words).
  • Added a little bit of content to the Jennifer phone call (the consequences of this are not yet implemented)

My plans for the coming days and weeks are:

• Add more prologue content for each profession in a similar way than I have done for the police officer
  • Add a time system, so each activity will take a certain amount of time. This means that you won’t be able to do everything. You will need to prioritize
  • Add more prologue activities available to all professions
  • Start writing the first scenes for Chapter 1
  • Create an anonymous feedback survey, to help me find out what needs most improvement
5 Likes

So, Fallout, but Choicescript? :grinning:

6 Likes

In a way, yes. But Apocalypse Chronicles will be more on the realistic side of things, so no Deathclaws :wink:

3 Likes

Interesting stuff so far. I like it.

Thank you. I hope you will enjoy the content that is yet to come.

1 Like

I would really love it if being chef have a huge impact on the story. Cause most stories like this are focusing on fighting and etc. Love it though.

2 Likes