What happens to a vampire during the zombie apocalypse?
You were a vampire living a pretty cushy existence before the zombie apocalypse hit. Although you’re immune to the zombie virus, your only food supply–humans–very much aren’t. Now starving to death, you encounter a group of survivors who are willing to bargain their blood for your supernatural protection. Suddenly you find yourself the leader and protector of their group, responsible for making the decisions that will keep them safe. Will you be able to get your herd of humans to a safe haven–or have they just made a deal with the devil?
In Apex Predators, you can…
- Play as male or female; straight, gay, bisexual, or asexual.
- Choose your vampire name, powers, and personality. Will you be sexy or scary, sincere or sarcastic? You decide!
- Keep your humans alive! Anyone can die in this game, including you. Can you forge your group into a force to be reckoned with, or lose them all to the zombie apocalypse?
- Manage your resources, relationships, and group morale; make tough decisions for the sake of your herd.
- Fight off zombies, human scavengers, and even other vampires who are after your turf.
- Choose between keeping your hunger at bay, maintaining your humanity, and becoming all-powerful.
- Form relationships with humans or other supernatural beings, be it a dictatorship, rivalry, friendship, or even love.
Romance options are bolded. Every character is recruitable depending on your choices, and also able to killed or lost, depending on your choices. Anyone can romance any RO.
- Nick Conway: an earnest homicide detective investigating you as a suspect for a string of gruesome murders. Dedicated, stubborn, serious, protective.
- Claire Wong: a cynical local news anchor who’s weary with the ways of the world and journalism. Hard-working, severe, cold, calculating.
- Allen White: Claire’s ex, and an experienced ex-soldier. Hot-tempered, righteous, judgmental, distrustful.
- Olivia Torres: Allen’s ten-year-old stepdaughter, and Barry Bower’s biggest fan. Optimistic, trusting, worshipful, helpful.
- Barry Bower: a singer in the world’s hottest boy band (before the apocalypse hit and all of the other band members died, that is). Gentle, courteous, considerate, sincere.
- Casey Yates: a passionate college student who’s also on the track team. Active, idealistic, articulate, sheltered.
- Dolores “Dolly” Yates: Casey’s grandmother who’s visiting from the north. Kind, maternal, clueless, submissive.
- Aleister: a male vampire the MC can encounter during their travels. Perceptive, suave, enigmatic, a little lazy.
- Valerie: a female lycanthrope the MC can encounter during their travels. Blunt, assertive, compassionate, easy-to-read.
- Mesmer: the ability to hypnotize victims and bend them to your will. Not fool-proof–humans have varying strengths in willpower–but your main way to manipulate the actions of humans. Does not work on other Fey.
- Superstrength: the more blood you drink, the stronger you are…
- Flight: that’s right, you can fly! Not very far, but enough to get out of danger. Now if only you could lift your group of humans up along with you…
- Shapeshifting: only available if bitten by a werewolf.
- Hemokinesis: only available if you’ve drunk the blood of a master vampire.
- Enthrallment: only available if you’ve drunk the blood of a master vampire.
This is a game focusing heavily on the perspective of a vampire, so discussions of blood, gore, death, and violence will be prominent (and fairly casual–it’s hard to faze a vampire!). There is also heavy cursing and optional heavy sex scenes.
Have burning questions about the game but don’t want to derail the thread? You can use the Apex Predators tumblr here.
If you have a question, be sure to check that it hasn’t been answered here!
Shepherds of Haven
Demo length: 10,093 words (75% of the prologue.)
Last updated: 13 July 2018
Author’s note: So far this is just the barest bones of the game, meant to set up the story and the premise (I wrote it during a two-hour layover in the Atlanta airport). The douchebag victim and random victim paths have not been written yet, so they’re blocked out for now. The entire story is plotted out, but I will only update this WIP sporadically: my priorities are my book and my other WIP, Shepherds of Haven. This was just intended to be fun, quick, silly side project.
(The premise of the story is also shamelessly inspired by the book Double Dead by Chuck Wendig. Aside from the main conceit, I don’t feel they’re that similar, but if you like dark humor mixed with the supernatural, go check it out!)
13 July 2018
- Wrote more the prologue (75% done)
- Introduced all herd members, sort of
- Finish the prologue
- Implement the calendar/survival system
- Decide Odin/Max’s name