Announcing the Choice of Games Contest for Interactive Novels

Anyone published by COG doesn’t pay for their own artwork.

8 Likes

Spoilers for people who get annoyed by prying/entry speculation.

Just wondering who’s been mentioned as entering the contest on the forum. If any author wants me to take them off PM (or mod) me:

The Last Wizard - Lucid
Isolation Deep Dive - Eiwynn
Tale of Two Cranes - SharpOne and TwoSharp
The Magician’s Burden - Samuel H Young
Nuclear Powered Toaster - Hustlertwo
Monsters of New Haven High - Sashira
The Twelve Trials - Luxtizer
The Aegis Saga - Charles Parkes
secret entry - Carlos.R (hey you dropped the whisper :grin: )
No one’s mentioned Guenvere by Jeantown, I think, but that would be a biggy.
-Who am I missing?

6 days ago Jason confirmed 5 submissions, and his post below says none of these have been received. The mystery and excitement deepens…

10 Likes

For what it’s worth, none of those are on my received list. And Highway Wars was not submitted for the contest; it’s already in the release queue.

Also, I’d be very surprised if Guenevere or Monsters of New Haven High were submitted.

Notably: The submission form has been updated to accept @multireplace without throwing an error.

6 Likes

That’s fairly disconcerting.

1 Like

Many of us are wrapping our entries up during the last days of the month, I’m sure. For example, I don’t plan on submitting TMB until the 30th.

4 Likes

Ya’ll should definitely take until the deadline if you can bear to; I have a blog post coming on Monday about prose styling that should help with polishing.

8 Likes

Thanks for announcing it; I enjoy these but they seem to go to my Promotions folder in Gmail, so I have to trawl through there periodically to make sure I didn’t miss one amidst the sea of Target and Xbox Live emails.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Hopefully the next one will be open to us down here in Australia! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m also on the list of those waiting until the last minute to submit. I’ve got a working beta of my entry (currently at 156K words), but I’m going to get in every last possible minute of testing and editing before I send it in.

For those compiling lists/the insanely curious my entry is The Twelve Trials, a fantasy adventure heavily influenced by Greek myth.

6 Likes

Just to clarify: the contest page says we have to submit our entry by January 31st. Does this mean we have all day of Jan 31st to submit our entry, or do we have to submit it before January 31st?

I think there’s a specific timing in the contest rules. Gimme a sec.

It ends at 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the 31st of January

2 Likes

Great, thanks! So I’m gonna submit mine on the 30th. Knowing me, if I tried to submit it on Jan 31st, my internet connection would crash and then reboot in time to submit it a minute after the contest ended.

7 Likes

Yup. I remember submitting for @Lordirish’s brilliant contest and realising at the last minute that I was trying to submit the wrong version. So many things to go wrong :thinking:

2 Likes

How do credits work? Do we need to have them written for a contest entry or can they wait until the work is actually published?

I was thinking, since the artwork can wait, things like the credits should be able to wait as well but idk for sure.

1 Like

Things that don’t matter: everything except your actual game.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Edit: ‘Unless the game takes place in a modern (17th-21st century) Commonwealth country, all spellings should be US English.’ Expletive. Why did I ignore this. Unintended workaround - my fantasy setting is set on a place called the ‘Endish’ peninsula, and Queen Elizabeth II is the constitutional monarch of my Engrish speaking country. Expletive Webster.

4 Likes

Just go with an alternative history where the British Empire continued to expand and now consists of 3/4 of the world’s land surface, but by current times the rule is almost in name only (like Australia and New Zealand) so it only has to be mentioned briefly in the appendix that this is why the spelling is in UK English :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s alright @Jacic. I’ve tweeted the Her Royal Majesty the Queen asking whether she’s be willing to become constitutional monarch of my fictional fantasy world.

2 Likes