An Office Romance Game--Updated April 10, 2019

I think there should be a dramatic twist to the story but keep it light because lately all the games that have been coming out seems mostly dark stuff. So I would like to see a light hearted game. :slight_smile: <3

No dark is good!

I agree with @Chriswa27, what I like most about this game is that it’s light-hearted and fun.

Hi, @CammyCamaro

I’ve read through An Office Romance and I have some feedback for you.

Things that need improvement:
1.) I’d suggest using fairmath for your variables, because one of my stats has dropped into the negatives, but it’s entirely filled with red since CS doesn’t register negatives. Fairmath also gives you more of an accurate representation of your stats; it rewards consistent choices. If you aren’t familiar with it, you could look it up on the Choicescript wiki.
2.) I think the story should remember more what your sexual preference is, because I chose that I’m not attracted to men, but I’ve been frequently given choices and questions about if I like a certain guy, or other similar things.

Things that I liked:
1.) There are a lot of choices, and they actually have an effect on the story
2.) The stats matter and are dynamic
3.) The characters have distinct personalities

There was a little discussion about fairmath awhile back, it does have its place. Yet sometimes it is better to add a cap check. Just to be aware.

I like this game a lot. It’s very different than most games on here. :3 It’s lighthearted and makes me feel at ease, while most games on here are really dark or heavy with action, not that it’s bad, but it’s refreshing to see something like this. I also like the amount of choices. There are a lot of choices, but it’s not overwhelming.

Relating to the question you asked above, I think a mixture of lightheartedness and drama is ideal. You should try not to go overboard with the drama though, since the game has a lighthearted vibe. :slight_smile:

@Pepper: That could be an option, but it would result in an abrupt end which includes being fired and/or jail time :wink:

@Aera: I think that’s a great idea! I’ll definitely incorporate that into the story soon. I just need to wrap up some scenes for Jillian and Anne.

@Scrivener @Lola098: Thank you for appreciating the options the story offers. It’s harder to write but it’s important to me for players to enjoy the story flow. It’s a choice of game after all!

@Beezlebub @Chriswa27 @attolia @Lola098: I agree a mix of serious and lighthearted moments is ideal. I’m definitely going for a slice of life feel with a dramatic flair. I don’t think anyone really wants it to be a straightforward office story (lol correct me if I’m wrong!)

@Samuel_H_Young @lordirishdas: Thank you for letting me know about fairmath I will look into it. I’ll be the first to admit my stats could always use more work.

@Samuel_H_Young: Unfortunately I’m not sure how to “save” gender preferences throughout the story. Instead, I incorporated equal amounts of scenes for players to interact with all the characters, particularly because I’m using the character stats as both a friendship/love stat. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

The next section has been uploaded! What’s new is the choices in which you’d have further interaction with Mark, Tyler, and Billy. Additional scenes with Jillian and Anne are up next. I saved those for last because they are crucial for wrapping up this particular arc in the story.

Thank you all for playing and commenting! I’m grateful that you guys like the story and share feedback on how to improve it.

The teambuilding idea from @Aera would fit well into the next part of the story. Do you guys have any ideas of what would be a fun offsite for our characters? Lol believable suggestions please (example: they cannot go into outer space :wink: )

Thank you all again :slight_smile:

I found this game a while ago and must say congrats, normally I find dating games like these almost verging on irritating, but i love the lighthearted and fun vibe this gives off. i think there should definitely be some drama, after all what is romance without drama, but i hope the game keeps it’s lighthearted feel as well. Also, there is an error when you talk with Tyler after the presentation and i don’t believe it is the end of the game. But anyway, keep up the good work, I really enjoy playing it!

@CammyCamaro
Hi! I did some run-throughs of the new material you added and found these items for your review. BTW it is a fun game. Keep up the good work.

With Tyler and chose option of feeling fine listening about their relationship and wanting to understand Jillian better. Got this error: Line 16 increasing indent not allowed expected 4 was 5.

You thank Tyler for sharing with you but say you’d prefer if he didn’t go any further. After all, that’s in the past, before you even started at the company. While walking through the green scenery outside Pharmacide, you find a nice bench to sit on. The two of you sit down and enjoy the warm sunlight filtering through the trees. Why didn’t you want to hear the details of Tyler and Anne’s *(should be Jillian) relationship?

Talking with Billy: Are you worried he might read more into the hug? Chose no and got this error: Line 29 increasing indent not allowed expected 4 was 5.

@CammyCamaro

Well to where i work we play this funny team building game called “Humans Vs. Zombies.” :stuck_out_tongue:

TO understand it here is link of the rules to play:
http://humansvszombies.org/rules

Also you can modify it to adopt to your liking, changing rules or something else.

The point of the game is to survive and build trust within your members lols :smiley:

Really fun game. I hope to see more!

@CammyCamaro
My suggestion for a team building activity would be doing some kind of commnity volunteer work. This is what we did at my last company. We would even go out to eat afterwards (on the boss’ dime).

I came across the following error:
I Cheated but lied about it. Convinced Mark to not let Jillian see research. She stormed off. After confrontation I went to see Billy because “he is my best friend”. Scene says that I find Billy at his desk but when I click Next I Got error: uncaught error line 72 label ‘holding hands’ already defined on line 32.

@CammyCamaro: I’d use Piggley’s idea, except with a more Dilbertian flair: the whole thing would expect you to spend personal money on it (forcing you to either come across as an idiot to suck up to Management/Anne, or not come across and risk damaging your job).

Of course, that’s because I want to see at least one outright boneheaded command from management in this game, because it isn’t an office game if there aren’t boneheaded management decisions. And teambuilding exercises in particular should always come across as bad jokes that you can’t laugh at.

Yes, yes Ramidel. Great addition!
All I needed to know about working in an office or bigcorp environment I learned from Dilbert, Dogbert and my fav Alice. As well as the movie Office Space of course. “Have you seen my stapler?”
These will be great learning tools for my children before they have to enter the wokforce.
:stuck_out_tongue:

@CammyCamaro
Hi! I noticed something for your review:
When I pick a diff book and not the one Mark suggested or when I spend all my time looking at people’s desks except for Jillian’s I never come across Jillian’s notes but the game still acts as if I did.

@Dark_Bear2899: Thank you I’m glad you like it! I agree drama keeps anything interesting but I don’t want to overdo it. I definitely would like to keep the lighthearted nature of the game. I finally figured it how to run the autotesters (I know that’s sad considering I’ve been at this for a year) and hopefully fixed that error. Thanks for playing!

@piggleywinks: I just figured out randomtest (yay!) and was able to fix the errors mentioned. For the error regarding Jillian’s notes, yes you’re right, it asks you about the notes even though it’s possible a player didn’t even come across them at all. I went ahead and deleted that section since it’s confusing. As the game gets longer it’s harder for me to randomly play options to check for coding and writing errors. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about them. Thank you! I’m not sure what team building I’m doing yet, but thank you for the idea :slight_smile:

@Aera: Thank you for the link, it sounds like a really fun game. I would totally enjoy playing this at work too! It seems like the type of game that would take awhile unless people are constantly playing. But I think spreading the game out and utilizing the element of surprise is fun. What was it like when you played it at work?

@fargreencountry: Thank you! Hoping to upload new content by next weekend!

@Ramidel: I definitely want to incorporate more instances for co-worker sabotage and management butt kissing lol. There is at least one inappropriate management event I have planned as you can tell Anne isn’t by the book at all. Lol bad management decisions and ridiculous team building exercises are the unfortunate but hilarious highlights in any office :slight_smile:

Hoping to upload new content by the end of next week! I still need to wrap up the Jillian arc and will start on the team building section soon. How do you guys feel about the story balance between romance and work? Is there too much romance and not enough work related events or vice versa? Thank you all for your input!

@CammyCamaro Well this game exercise is usually played at November for “more scare effect” as our boss says. It would take a while to play, but what we do at work is we give time limits say you have to survive for 2hours, you cannot leave the building or two office floors (this will depend on how big the place is, a medium setting should be okay.), your partner must be alive or your disqualified, you’re not allowed to take the ammo (in this case we use rubber darts) on the dead zombs, the survivors must wear white t-shirts (because the zombs are using red food colouring so we know if your bitten lols), only 10 ammo(rubber darts) per survivor. For the zombs they have to wear green/grey t-shirts, they are not allowed to bite (lols) they can only grab the survivors, zombs can resurrect if they are not hit with the dart on their head/chest/arse (yes we added arse because it’s hilarious and everyone is game.) lastly zombs must say the words brains before grabbing a survivor (for fun purposes only)

Once you play the game it’s fun and well if you ever played paint gun or war to war games then it’s the same thing only with zombs and more comedy since people will say time-out to go to the bathroom to escape or say the word pause then everyone freezes, it’s not written on the rule, but everyone stops moving which is funny. Also we set traps and that’s where the fun begins, from toilet paper bombs to flying bras and the favourite is finding the hidden immunity item which usually is a picture of a playboy or playgirl mag lols. If you get the mag show the picture to the zomb and they cannot grab the survivor with the immunity item because the mag is considered a fatality move lols.

Oh and sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

Hey man when I first played this game I loved it have u done anymore progress on it?

@StarWarsMaster You are breaking rule 2. Please, read the first post in this thread: http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/700/new-to-the-choice-of-games-forums-read-this-first-seriously#Item_2

@Reaperoa, @Havenstone, @JimD, @CJW, and @FairyGodfeather

@StarWarsMaster
If someone makes progress on their game, we tend to like to leave it up to them on as and when they’ll tell us that they’ve made said progress - it just keeps the forum threads on the first page active and interesting, as opposed to letting it fill up with a load of old threads ending in ‘Is it finished yet? When’s the next update? Is this dead?’ posts - which as you can likely imagine, aren’t at all that interesting.

Long story short, @CammyCamaro will no doubt post if (and when) he has some more progress to show - until then, I’ll close the thread, seeing as they haven’t logged in for over a month.

Cammy, if you return at some point just PM myself or any other mod and we’ll be happy to reopen this thread for you.