An Office Romance Game--Updated April 10, 2019

@CammyCamaro
I definitely like the changes, especially the way the relationship stats are handled now. Plus, the characters feel a bit more real than they used to. I just hope we don’t have to depend on “buying” people off with friendship tokens too much.

Keep up the good work, though! It’s nice to see something a bit light and fluffy in development. :slight_smile:

Have you played Supple? That’s what this game brought to mind the most with me. However Supple wasn’t great, the controls annoyed me no end and there was a very small number of other characters.

I think the text medium is a fantastic way to tell this sort of story. It’s been fleshed out so much more than the first version too. Everyone’s coming to life.

@CammyCamaro I love this new version of the game. The characters are more lifelike abd it is nice that everything isn’t spelt out for you. :slight_smile: Good luck with this.

@bezment78 I’m relatively new to forums (at least with actively participating in them) so if you could please point out what I did wrong and what I should do next time I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

@CS_Closet I’m glad you like the changes :slight_smile: Before I was so excited about finishing the game I basically skipped character development >.< I’m still working out what I want the friendship tokens to exactly do. I’m planning on making them scarce throughout the game. What I’m hoping for is that at crucial moments players can use them to change situations like diffuse an argument or get someone to help them. Thank you for your nice comments!

@FairyGodfeather No I’ve never played Supple but I did look it up. I see the similarities since both have female leads, office interactions, and romance. Thanks for playing! I’m glad you like the newer version of my game :slight_smile:

@Kitty9 Thank you for your nice feedback :slight_smile: I’m working on the next section already so hopefully I can upload it within the next few weeks. I’m going on vacation so unfortunately it’s gonna slow down my progress.

What I remember of Supple it was try and complete tasks to secure a promotion, while taking frequent trips to glut yourself on things from the vending machines, and go across the road and buy lots of clothes, which you have to be sure to change frequently. And I’d no idea why Arin was even trying to romance the guy she was competing against. I’ve no idea why her boss actually liked it if Arin was wearing a completely different outfit every time they spoke.

I’m sure you’ll do a far better job of your game.

@FairyGodfeather Lol yes it does seem interesting but from your review I don’t think I’ll be looking into it too much. Thanks for the info!

Hi Everyone! I’ve uploaded the next section of the game. Please play it and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/136119576/web/mygame/index.html

1 Like

@cammycamaro In case you still doesn’t know it yet there is a 30 minute timer that you can use to edit your post so instead of 4-5 post you can sum it up to be one big post

Yay! I’m glad to see the amount of branching you’re putting into this, @CammyCamaro. I know that isn’t the easiest thing to keep up with sometimes, but it really adds to the replay value.

Out of curiosity, how long were you aiming to make the game? I seems like events are happening just a tad too fast. That’s absolutely not a problem with shorter, more condensed games, but something longer might end up feeling a bit rushed at the game’s current pace.

That minor detail aside, I quite enjoyed the new part. Glad to see some outside-of-work interaction available (although I did hurt poor Billy T_T).

1 Like

@CS_Closet Thanks for noticing! I definitely wanted players to have lots of options about who they want to romance, if any. No one wants to be railroaded into a relationship, even in a game lol! To be honest, I’m not sure how long the game will be. I have a general plot, but of course I’ve been adding more here and there in hopes the pacing isn’t abrupt.

Can you please go into more detail about what’s too fast? Is it the plot and/or the romance between the characters? Sorry to bother you! As you already know, I tend to have speed issues pacing my story. That kind of feedback will help improve my writing.

Lol yes I will have to come up with something good for Billy. So far I feel sorry for him >.< Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

@CammyCamero

Sorry, I probably could’ve explained that better the first time.

For the most part, you do a good job of showing a character’s personality within a very short segment of text. There’s a couple of parts where that abruptly changes and you start telling us, rather than showing us. It just makes some scenes, such as the bar, seem much more rushed compared to the rest of what you’ve written. If the information about, say, Mark’s personality or Tyler’s favorite music could be worked in a bit more smoothly (over the course of a few short scenarios, or, heck, even someone else mentioning it in a conversation would work) it might seem a little less like the information is being forced at the player.

If you want a specific example:
The short conversation over the phone with Anne after leaving the bar gave me a better grasp of her character than a night socializing with my co-workers gave me about them, or days working on a project with Mark gave me about him, and I’m pretty sure that’s not what you were going for.

You write well enough that you can pull off the pace that you’re going at while still fleshing out a player’s mental image of each character, but be careful not to make the information you’re giving us sound like a list of facts.

I hope that was more like a coherent explanation than confusing rambling, but let me know if I can add any clarification.

@CS_Closet

That definitely wasn’t confusing rambling, I appreciate that you took the time to provide additional details. After looking over my work I see what you mean. I was telling information about each character rather than showing. I’ve revised my most recent scenes and will keep your advice in mind for my future writing.

Thank you for your help!

First off all I love this idea even if it does force me to play as a woman,

as for the feedback:
* my choices are not neathly one under the other as I am used to, but next to each other with the only thing seperating them the little choice dot. not really enjoyable. (nevermind this seems to be a browser related issue, works fine in FF)

*this far i am enjoying the story, but I would have liked to see more content in regard of the project, what are we doing? do I get some choice in the direction the project takes? Anyways keep up the good job!

@CammyCamaro

Happy to be of service. :slight_smile:

The revisions you’ve made are much better and keep with the flow of the rest of the story. It’s far easier (and fun!) to form thoughtful opinions about characters when presented with scenarios rather than summaries.

I’ll definitely be looking forward to seeing what direction you take with this!

@Trask84 Lol I tried to write it so players can choose to be a boy or a girl but it was hard for me to write so I just chose a gender.

The project will definitely have a bigger part in the story. However, I’m not sure how I want to fully integrate that aspect yet. What choices or actions do you think would be fun for the project? So far, the only option I have coming up is to go to a conference. Thank you for your comments!

@CS_Closet Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate how detailed they are. It really helps my writing :slight_smile:

@CammyCamaro yeah I get that point, writing for both sexes is quite difficult and then I am not talking about the extra coding it takes.

Good to hear about the project, what I would like is to know what kind of project it is, is it launching a new drug, promoting the compagny as a whole, starting up a research project for a desease? And then get options to stear it to success or faileur

@Trask84 Thanks for understanding, writing is hard enough (but fun :).

The project is briefly mentioned in the beginning at the staff meeting. It’s a research project for the potential uses of a newly discovered plant. I’m thinking of adding a laboratory component to the story. It might be a bit boring working on the assignment from a paperwork perspective solely (example possible choices: read a report, research the Internet) but a lab setting may be fun. The other options I’m planning (SPOILER ALERT) is having a chance to sabotage the other team and, like I mentioned previously, the upcoming conference.

Thank you for your feedback!

Definitely off to a great start!

The writing is understandable, I rarely try to write as a man since it’s hard for me to get into their heads.

Most of the men I try to rp as or write as, later I constantly get comments that they come off as gay even when I want them to be straight. orz

Not sure what that says about me. @_@

I’m getting a 404 error :frowning:

@Bloodhawkereaper I think Dropbox did something funny, since a few games have been having 404 errors. There was absolutely no reason for my game to have the error since the files had remained the same (I even checked) so I can only but blame dropbox.

@Riviare Thank you! Lol at the comments! I think it says that you have a strong female point of view :slight_smile: I think Choice of Romance did a good job since choosing to be either gender kept the gameplay applicable. That was something I was hoping to emulate eventually but decided choosing a gender’s just easier.

@Bloodhawkereaper @FairyGodfeather Hopefully the Dropbox errors are fixed! Thank you for the information!

I’m sorry I went MIA again. Life just takes over but I was able to write plenty today! New content up soon (hopefully) :slight_smile: