The job offers a six-figure salary, pensions, and competitive benefits. Its description? You’ll run a teahouse on Mount Qingcheng in Sichuan, China.
The job description didn’t mention reincarnation, gods, spirits, or the end of the universe. Job descriptions rarely cover that sort of thing. So, you can safely assume there will be no revelations about your past life, inter-dimensional tension, or otherwise world-rending conflict. You’ll only be responsible for attending to a diverse, multi-cultural variety of Teahouse guests. Who are not magical pandas. Presumably.
Accept the Job to:
- Build business and spiritual abilities
- Meddle in supernatural shenanigans
- Meet characters from international and Chinese mythology
- Experience the awkwardness of integrating into a new culture from the comfort of your gaming device
- Romance 3 different characters, including:
- A man, the fox god part-timing as a TikTok historian
- A person, the mountain’s resident billionaire meme-lord
- A woman, the End of the Universe (also your ex.)
About this game:
- Make environmental issues feel timely and relevant
- Modernize the portrayal of China in Western fiction
- Write a story that can be told no other way, that makes full use of its digital ecosystem
- Options you wish you had?
- Pacing issues? Anywhere the story progresses too fast? Too slow?
- Is your culture represented? Represented accurately and thoughtfully?
WIP: [2 chapters playable here as of 9/9/21]