Updated 7/8/19 (New build - new opening sequence)
Substantial changes if you try the new opening. A little more info if you use the old one.
Hello, I’ve been reading these things for a long while and meaning to write one of them for almost as long. Now having finally gotten something far enough along to present I give you…
Alphas and Iotas.
Humanity is lost. You’re quite dead yourself. So is the universe, but a funny thing happened on the way to extinction. Mankind uploaded its best and brightest, storing their minds in the computational framework of a generational ship which is basically a Dyson sphere constructed around an artificial star, hiding in a higher dimension to avoid the death of the universe. Now the best and brightest are being awakened to do something about the whole extinction thing.
I have no idea how close I am to being done, other than not very. I suspect bad coding on my part has quite skewed the word count I’m getting, but I’m guessing about 20k for a playthrough in the demo which at the moment is introductory stuff, character creation, and a taste of my writing style and world building.
There’s way more world building and background info on the setting viewable through the stats page.
To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/justhefax/alphas-and-iotas/mygame/
- Sci-Fi in a very distant future
- Rich history for that very distant future
- Customizable main character (and recustomizable… eventually)
- Partly randomized side characters
- Around 7 romanceable characters (see post 10 for more info)
- Mamadou Aoki - Premier of Oceanic Republic
- Mercedes Skorupski - mid-transit era Captain
- Abraham Carvajal - Deathwatch Transit era Chief Engineer
- Penelope Zaboul - Bio-tech Professor during Post Transit Renaissance
- Jibril Rosenthal - Chief in Post Nomad Era
- Esther Farid - PhDM in Post Nomad Era
- Taylor Alcantara - Professor in Post Nomad Era
- Dialogue heavy with focus on character interaction
- Update basic views of MC toward characters determined by your choice (Not all dialogue has been updated to reflect this)
- Lots of meditations on the nature of humanity and/or AI
- Introduced Hamid Gustafson: new AI on the Labrador
Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I hope to update this on at least a monthly basis.
- Added very first part of chapter 2
- Added one last name (Udoh)
- Last name choice now has small impact on stats (very small) family description should indicate what profession the families are affiliated with.
- Improved recognition of gender change selection in subsequent dialogue.
- Added two choices to chapter 1 fleshing out relationship with colleagues
- You can now actively loathe or at least cordially disrespect colleagues
- Small additions/changes to background information
- Fixed erroneous description of the number 29 Quintillion
- Miscellaneous typos
- This close to getting out of that room
- Finally out of that room
- Added new stats to reflect MC’s views on economics and governance
- Extended discussion on status of the Beagle
- Introduced a few legendary figures that mostly won’t interact with your character much
- Discussed the future evolution of basketball
- Introduced the future home of the humanity
- Added chance to define romantic preference(still no actual romance)
- Miscellaneous typos (hopefully fixed, possibly created)
- Added new opening sequence accessible via the first choice after selecting era of origin(old opening still accessible)
- Realized I should probably consider introducing the romanceable characters earlier
- On a related note have introduced romanceable characters(still can’t actually romance them)
- In new opening, the old opening is shown via flashbacks
- Introduced annoying roommate for MC
- Changed naming system for non-Beagle vessels. All are now named after dogs
- Introduced the Labrador and its AI
- Introduced ability to learn specific skills, which may eventually be important
- Added very pointless rock, paper, scissors minigame as alternative to page breaks
- Still don’t have this page break structure down