Aftermath -WIP- (Demo)

Thanks ill use that next time. And @lazerith I think you misunderstood my post with the script.

It wasn’t gonna be that frank in the first place, it was just an easy example so other coders could easily tell me if that was the right way to script it, though I like your idea.

My original plan was to start on the day of the nuclear attack but I’m gonna play around with your idea alittle bit.

Hah, well that’s pretty cool, glad to be of help XD. They have a tutorialish thing that walks you through the basics of coding. I have no coding experience but using choice script is a walk in the park after you read the walk-through. Look for it under the tab, usermade games and there should be a button that says make our own games or something like that. The tutorial is on the right side after that.

I’ve already read the walkthrough and know most of it, but there aren’t any articles that I know of that talk about the specific question I’m asking.

Although, for all I know, it should work. I just don’t wanna get too far and realize it’s not gonna work.

Ahh. Yeah well you could pm an Admin then. Usually they will know and you won’t have to worry about other people taking your idea then :wink: I am actually quite surprised there haven’t been many open ended games on here yet though. Your wasteland idea sounds like the best bet so far. I mean zombie exodus is great and all, but it does feel quite railroaded at times. I think the closest so far is Imprisoned. Personally I am rooting for you, since this has real potential for a multi path and multi ending game. Even mine has to be railroaded to some degree because as I said, its just prologue. You got my support man, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :slight_smile: It might not have the best writing like one of these sponsored games, but I think it’ll be good. It will take some time too, though, because I would have to write 3 different storylines, but that’s ok with me.

First Demo! It really isn’t much at all but this is the first version I’ve liked. What do y’all think?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223195975/aftermath/mygame/index.html

Short, but it drew me and had me intrested. Very good start.

Good. My only concern with the demo right now is if it draws people in. I’m still writing as we speak and will probably have more in a couple of hours.

EDIT: Whats a good name for a group of antagonist raiders? This will be the name of the enemy raiders who sack Pottsborough.

That’s some good stuff man, looks like you got some good plans for the story XD.

The Hunters, The Devil’s Children, Psycos (with buzz axes!)

I want that rifle! I’ll snipe whoever you want me to captain!

Lol what rifle are you referring to?

Could the lone wanderer have a pet? Like for example a falcon(mutated) with four wings or a wolf that’s part machine

And name for raiders could be reapers

Well perhaps you should name the raiders the Desciples of Pandora, or Pandorians for short? However a name like that doesn’t exactly fit the typical crazy chaos loving raider name lol. I imagine that, with their lack of creativity in ways not involving creating pain/chaos, they would almost all have names like, The Rabble, Black Eagles, Chrimson Dynamite and stuff of that nature. Probably would be neat to be able to rename the the gang after you take over in the raiders path. And have you thought of some kind of third party problem or issue that could be faced from all three vantiges? Government reclaimers has been done so much in fallout, but all three groups would have strong reasons to stand against such a group. But for all I know, you could be faced with war crazy nomads as an appearance, only to later realize they were simply running from some plague or greater threat of possibly nonhuman origin. Hah, you have so much potential here its crazy lol.

That’s why I love writing :slight_smile: I think I’ll do a lot of chapters with the rebuild option. In one chapter youll have to deal with a rogue government reclaimer and in the next chapter when you’re city grows big enough you are beset upon by nomads fleeing an enemy greater than a government. Whether that enemy will be bacterial or a fanatic cult led by a madman or something else is completely up to whatever I feel is best when I get there or whatever people on the forum would think most fitting.

Question- what currency do you think would be most likely used in a post apocalyptic scenario? I could be totally cliche and go with bottle caps, but I’d rather be less like fallout if possible.

Also, how do y’all feel about sexual orientation? I’m thinking Shane and Cidney will both be heterosexual love interests but what about other love interests that come into the midgame. Should I present a choice that defines the Player Character as Straight/Bi/Gay/An asexual plant?(last ones a joke for no sexual interest basically taking away all love interest scenes)

In all honestly, there probably wouldn’t be a universal currency. I think people would be more inclined to barter with important resources, like pure water and food. Bullets and cigarettes would also be very important comodeties and would be valuble in a trade. However, if you are dead set on a universal currency, I would imagine that coins from the old world would be used. I say this because there wouldn’t be a post apocalyptic printing press, or coining operation, nor would paper currency survive in largw enough quantites in easily accesable areas. I imagine bank vaults would still be loaded with cash but then if some1 found a way to get in there they fould wreck the local economy. You could also use bullets as currency. This isn’t exactly original but it wouod make a lot of sense in a dead world full of monsters. Anyone that could get a munitions factory running again woukd be the richest man on earth lol. Problem is I doubt that could find a reliable supply of all the resources needed :p.

I like the bartering system. I’ll probably use that.

“I’m thinking Shane and Cidney will both be heterosexual love interests”

Can I ask why you think this? Why is it important that they be heterosexual? Are they more fully fleshed out than the ones that come much later in the game?

I strongly dislike the game asking me my orientation directly. I much prefer just being able to romance whomever strikes my fancy. That said if you’re NPCs who switch gender then it’s important to have some method of doing so.

Don’t remove all love scenes due to a picking sexuality. Either have the opportunity to date without ending up having sex, or play the game happily enough without needing to enter a relationship.