Aetherian Spell Academy [wip] Chapter 1-5 available. Chapter 6 in progress (Updated 1/8/18)

Let me get this straight…the demon that had fought four student and a professor, managed to knocked out the students and cornered the professor, while itself is unharmed, is literally a slave for a dark magic MC?

Seems so, but if you slay it or purify it you get more points. You also can only use it in certain situations, unless you want everyone to know that you are a dark magic user.

True enough, I suppose. But what about syphoning its power to improve your magic? The most straightforward one would be to use its power to improve your flame conjuration. Would people still notices it then?

Thank you for the feedback.

Using the demon in any shape or from always entails summoning it. Using it will lead to great effect, but will also have drawbacks. At some point, using it will get you into major trouble, but it will make your current obstacle much easier.

Can’t we just bluff our way out and says that it’s an advanced-level conjuration spell? Seems to work for Hane.

That’s an interesting choice. Perhaps if you use Charm to talk out of it, it might seem realistic. That being said, dark magic is meant to be forbidden in certain situations, but there will always be opportunities to use it.

Hane gets away with it because he didn’t intend to summon the demon. In addition, he only lost control when he was practicing an exercise.

Out of curiosity, what all is going to go into the Ally category? Is it only creatures that can be summoned on command like demons, and what can be summoned anyway?

Thinking back about it, what is dark magic in your game? Seems like it’s more generalized than the other. I’ve seen it does necromancy (raising the dead is obviously ‘dark’ magic), Void-casting (that void thingie that we can do to block Ulik’s fireball), materialization (those dark energy spears), but, weirdly, it seems to also include summoning (even though elemental summoning is considered an advanced-level conjuration by the school, because the principal said so during the hospital scene).

1 Like

So why were the other students there if it was supposed to be just Hane getting a private lesson? And how come the authorities are slower to react than a 12-year-old?

Would it make more sense if the MC was already almost at school (but quite late for whatever reason) when they get Hane’s message?

1 Like

The ally category will keep track of all monsters and allies currently in your party. Later on this will include humans as well as summoned allies.

There will be more than just demons to summon in future chapters. As it stands, elemental spirits will be added in the next chapter.

1 Like

Dark magic is essentially necromancy, void magic, and dark energy. Forbidden magic is essentially synonymous with dark magic, and both can be used interchangeably.

Your MC arrived late to school. The students who arrived earlier than you were forced to flee, without success, from the demon.

The authorities weren’t alerted until after Kaelich arrives. The only adult at the school was Adeline who was too busy fighting the demon.

Revisions regarding the demon battle will come. I think a few important details were left out, and I will fix it soon.

1 Like

Okay; I must have missed that part. (It does seem weird that all of the other students had got out only to pass out in a heap, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Didn’t they spot the huge pillar of smoke? :confused:

Only people passing by witnessed the smoke. Most were unsure if the fire was an accident considering that Kaelich’s is a magic school.

Thank you for all the feedback regarding chapter 2. Additions to the storyline, as well as revision will come soon based on the advice I’ve seen here. If you find any more mistakes or feel that something needs to be added, please feel free to mention it. I always try to incorporate suggestions whenever available.

Hm. Fairmathing stat increases may not make sense for this game, if stat potential is meant to be open-ended.

It makes more sense for relationships, personality, and opposed stats than it does for purely RPG-style stats.

2 Likes

This is my first time playing this WIP, and I really like it so far. It’s interesting and well-written enough that it keeps me interested in learning what’s going to happen next. You should keep doing that.

I find it weird though that if we use a lot of dark magic during the fight, no one present seems to bat an eyelash at seeing skeletons and dark energy everywhere.

It’s also strange how a simple class of mana manipulation can cause Hane’s magic to go off the charts and become a summoning ritual. How does that work? It reminds me of this skit from Robot Chicken:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. I tried fairmath with stats earlier today, but ended up decreasing stat gains too much. I think I’ll try changing only relationship and personalities with fairmath, as you suggested

1 Like

Others are also confused regarding this, so I’m adding an extra conversation in the hospital to further explain what happened. Thank you for pointing this out.

Also that video: “Her-my-one Granger.” Smh

1 Like

I was thinking you could have the government (or whoever) “interviewing” the MC to find out what happened. (And the MC wouldn’t necessarily have to tell the truth… :smirk:)

4 Likes