Aetherian Spell Academy [wip] Chapter 1-5 available. Chapter 6 in progress (Updated 1/8/18)

Oh okay, thanks for the reply :slightly_smiling_face:

I am really loving the dark magic and the summoning ability along with the combat.

1 Like

HAHAHA I made the great fire demon bend the knee to my will without a contract MuHaumuamauahahahah
ic23r

9 Likes

Nice work! I like it!

I think that if you use Darkness in the battle against the Demon, somebody (like the headmaster) should make an issue of it. I mean, circumstances are as they are, so you might escape serious punishment, but you are openly using illegal magic.

Also, have you considered using fairmath on personality changes?

1 Like

Good demo, looking forward to chapter 3.

I would second that, at least at certain points, I could see the mc being able to use it once or twice during the fight depending if debris from the fight was blocking people’s view or not.

Also I have a question.

The contract that you can make with the demon is it a soul contract?

2 Likes
Typos and other problems

One thing I noticed throughout is that you often switch between past and present tense, and occasionally between first and second person. I’m afraid I couldn’t list every instance these occurred, though.

Hane pulled out a piece of paper and started writing on it. When he was finished, he handed it to you. It was his cellphone number, “You know. If you ever wanted to talk.” He was clearly nervous about doing this, but you were more than willing to have his number.

Towards the end of class, you and Hane swapped cellphone numbers. Aside from personal reasons, it was also so that you could assist each other regarding your conjuration class.

So, he gives me his phone number twice? :confused:

How did the other students get out if they’re unconscious? :confused: And why are they there? I thought Hane was having a one-to-one lesson.

However, it’s eyes were completely black, with no iris; and you could see its enraged expression in full view.

The first “it’s” should be “its” (like the second one).

When you were in the hospital, Ray called you everyday. When he heard about your injuries, he sent you several small gifts of candy and gift cards. You smiled, although you were stuck in the hospital, at least Ray’s letters and cards kept you entertained.

When you had fully recovered, your parents came to pick you up. Seeing you made your mother cry from joy. Later on, you learned that your mother wanted to visit you as early as possible, but was prevented by the police and the school.

So, don’t my parents get to call me and send me stuff?

I think one problem with this is that it feels a little rushed. I’d like at least a few more days to get to know Hane before the date and fight, and I’d like some time with the MC’s parents as well (maybe I could introduce Ray or Hane to them?)

I did like the fact that through most of the battle, I could use my “remedial” subject (conjuration) to fight… (although then, it was remedial because, like Hane, I was too powerful to control it…)

I was also disappointed that I was forced to dislike Hane’s (admittedly poor) attempt at humour. Couldn’t I just pretend to like it?

Anyway, it’s looking ever-more interesting; good luck with the game. :smile:

9 Likes

I agree with many of these points such as the use of dark magic having more attention drawn to it, and especially the addition of character interaction with friends and family. Especially with how much the MC’s parents shape them near the beginning.

5 Likes

WoW nice game, remember me a little of “life of wizard” i like games who you can be a necromancer or dark magic user.

2 Likes

Another thought: maybe the opening prologue could be given as a lesson in class? That way, the player could choose to listen (and even ask questions), or to mess around with their friend, if they want to. At the moment, it feels a little like an infodump.

6 Likes

Darkness will become an issue in the next chapter. You were only able to use dark magic against the demon since the only witness was Adeline, who is seriously injured and was busy protecting herself.

Chapter 3 will rely almost entirely on fair math increase for both personality and stats. Currently testing it to make sure progress is neither too slow nor too fast.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. The contract made with the demon is entirely one-sided and only benefits you. The demon is essentially indentured to you. This was done in exchange for letting Ulik live.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.

I’ll see if I can change your character’s reaction to his humor. It won’t be a major choice, but it will hopefully add some depth to the conversation with him.

Also, I might add an extra storyline before your date with Hane to see if it will even out the pacing.

Your parents will get a bigger role in the next chapter, and both Hane and your school friend will meet them.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I’ll see about adding an extra storyline for your character’s parents at the beginning of chapter 2

1 Like

Yes, I was afraid it might feel this way. I’ll revise the story so you can ask Professor Adeline questions before class. You will receive information at your leisure rather than through an info dump.

1 Like

Quick question: Is Hane always going to be the first RO or is there someway to get a female RO first? I don’t really care since in the end, I can just wait until a female RO appears, but I was just curious.

Hane will always be the first romance.
However, there are potentially two female RO in chapter three. Your school friend, if you chose female, and a new character you’ve never met. The upcoming female RO is only interested in men, however. But your school friend will not have a preference.

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the quick reply!

Interesting, I have a follow up question.
Is Ulik strong for a demon? I know that he is a greater djinn but considering he lost pretty badly to the 12 year old mc… It makes me wonder if he is just weak or if the mc is just that strong already.

Ulik fought Adeline and the students beforehand. He wasn’t harmed, but he was already tired from fighting. By the time your character arrives, you already had the upper hand.

I’ll revise the story to make sure this is emphasized.

1 Like