Aetherian Spell Academy [wip] Chapter 1-5 available. Chapter 6 in progress (Updated 1/8/18)

Alrighty then.

Also, for future reference, if you want to reply to multiple people or specific questions people have, you can just hold down the left mouse key over the people’s text and then hit the “Quote” button that pops up.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:. I’m new to CoG’s forum, so I’m not used to the format yet. I’ll keep this in mind

1 Like

Heh, close enough.

(20 characters)

Good idea, since I’m updating a few things in chapter 2, I may as well add this.

8 Likes

it’s me or charm doesn’t appear in the stat list?

Charm should be found in the stat list between Creation and Healing. It’s the fourth one from the top down.

Alana dedicated herself to learning mending spells. Alana’s ability to heal wounds was second to none at Kael’s, surpassing even your own ability to heal.

Is this really appropriate? Healing is my weakness so that’s not much of a feat…

(Needed Darkness above level 20).

This makes it sound like I didn’t have 20 darkness…

Also charm seems to to get bigger bonuses, my OCD is freaking out :laughing:

Charm isn’t useful in combat. The trade off is that charm will help you bypass certain stat checks.

2 Likes

Is there any difference between the school friends? I haven’t played through all the friends and had only chosen the blond one, Aron?, and the Mohawk one and they seemed to have the same dialogue with nothing unique about them.

The hard thing about having a party with variable members is making each of the characters have a distinct personality and making dialogue with variable characters (I know there’s a thread on this, but I can’t find it).

Here’s a post about adrao’s struggles.

6 Likes

Perhaps this is because these characters have had very little time to show a distinct personality. All I remember when I played was a scene were the MC helps said friend and then the friend shows the fruits of their labor.

I think the Author said that in the next chapter there will be a scene in which you bring said friend home to meet your parents.I would be guessing that, that would be the time when we get to see their personality in full.

Yeah having eight different school mates from the start.Just the coding alone sounds like a nightmare. My suggestion would be to cut back the number of choices for first friend, and bring in the rest of the group the same way Hane was introduced.

4 Likes

This. However I will not be cutting down the number of friends you can choose. Instead, I will opt for longer encounters with them. That way, all the coding is done in one go. It’s easier to code in long bursts than in multiple smaller encounters. It tends to get confusing.

5 Likes

Thank you for the link. It has useful tidbits I’ll end up using.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have certain friend characters react differently to the different dialogue options of the MC. Such as some raising the percentage of the relationship status while others don’t, for example while I understand that most of the characters wouldn’t react as well to a MC answering their reason for helping with cold and direct logic I think Aron being the studious nerd that he is would probably understand and maybe appreciate that. I would say the same for Alana, but she seems more like an eccentric geek than a nerd so I could understand her preferring a more friendly behaving MC.

Yes, this is indeed something I’ve struggled with… basically offering
more “characters” for the MC to interact with, but without this being
distinct will end up getting comments by readers that the characters don’t
feel fully fleshed out. It is a mistake I’ve made in two of my current WIPs
(Highway Wars and Birth of a Hero) which I hope to be avoiding in the
future. It is probably much better to follow CoGs recommendations regarding
this (I’m learning by trial and error, but eventually converging to the
answer already provided by them (GoGs)… I guess I should have started
just by following their recommendations, but as an engineer I’m that stupid
that I have to test things again, just to realise that the
recommendations/rules given by others are good!)

4 Likes

chapter 1 didn’t display most of the school friend’s personalities as in-depth as I would have liked. In upcoming chapters, the personalities between the friend options will become much more distinct. In chapter 2, your character now has a unique dialogue with your parents that changes based on your friend’s unique background.

1 Like

That sounds quite interesting, and I hope to explore that.

I found two typos so far in the added scene with the parents. “At some point you heard an evil laughter” Should be either “heard evil laughter” or “heard an evil laugh”. Next typo was at the beginning of the scene when it was introducing the parents, but since I forgot to copy it when I saw it, I’ll paraphrase it: “who’s vigor is yet to die out, even at forty” It should be “whose”, not “who is”. Besides that, the new update is looking good so far.

1 Like

He gets up from the table. Your dad works as a secretary for Furze’s Magic Council. Your father had a much different job when you were younger, but your father is now working with the city government’s magical branch. Your dad was essentially a secretary.

It says that he is essentially a secretary when it already states that he is.Not really a major thing but it is a bit weird to me is all.

The library was a half-hour ride from your house. Fortunately, your father gave you more than enough coins to cover the entire bus fare. Even with the bus fare, you ended up with more coins than you thought (+200 Coins).

Wouldn’t it make more sense to just say that he gave the mc money for the gift shop instead?

Thank you for catching these errors. I will fix these in an upcoming update to chapter 2

I must have forgotten I already wrote it. Thank you
for pointing this out.

You may be right . I was only afraid the MC might seem like they’re taking advantage of their dad if they don’t buy anything at the gift shop. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like