Professor of Magical Studies (was: Advanced Studies in Pattern Magic) - In Copyediting!

Amazing update, can’t wait for more :grin:

2 Likes

Really enjoying the latest update as well, man my professor’s gonna be real busy with all these new tasks and responsibilities :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

(Just noticed that the original post was updated with a new “What I’m looking for”)

So in terms of how I feel about time with other characters, I feel like I’m getting a lot of Darcy time. Granted, he/she is the character who I’m the most interested in so I’m not concerned about it as I may have made choices that contributed to the extra time Such as going to get a coffee with him/her or agreeing to help clean the storage room.

He/she does feel more like the main character the protagonist would go for/interact the most with (no complaints from me) but it does also make sense considering he/she is our colleague. (and the fact we’re doing the symposium and cleaning the storage room together)

With that said, the encounter with the geometrist was minimal since we’ve only interacted with them in the Luncheon and Manish/Manisha currently feels more like a side character than a potential RO. (Maybe more interaction will come during chapter 4 when we also meet the councilwoman/man?)

For the research, I can’t really remember what I choose? But I think it was along the lines of splitting the research between Feral Patterns/Practical Magic/Labwork with Gabriel’s theory/work on reducing backlash on summoning?

2 Likes

i love it so far! it’s a very fun game that’s reminiscent of harry potter and other magic-esque themed media and i’m looking forward to doing so much more!

as for characters, i do feel that darcy is getting a bit more time than the others. i understand that the mc has a past with them, but hopefully, the other characters would be on the spotlight for an ample time as well?

as for the tasks, i do have a question: does accepting a lot of them have an effect to mc? like say, stress or time or whatsoever? it would be nice if it could have an effect at least, but i also do want to help everyone out.

thanks for this! it’s really fun to try it out!

2 Likes

Sorry about that! I’ll do a better job of mentioning that in any new reply I make to this thread when a new chapter goes up.

Ha, I wondered if people would go for the cleaning job.

It will! I’m working on the balance of interactions, so this kind of question/speculating is extremely helpful.

Excellent.

I’m working on that in chapter 4. You’ll have a chance to spend time with other people for more concentrated periods of time.

It will limit what else you’ll be able to spend time on. The mc will have less time to spend on non-work-focused tasks.

I love how my responses to everyone get to be so spoilery.

Thanks for the feedback!

9 Likes

Nope.

3 Likes

I’m writing this while going through my first play-through, paying extra attention to what you’re looking for, of course! I wrote a ton so it’s separated in categories.

Warning: the typos section is both spoilery and very long. I’m a natural grammar/spelling freak, heh.

Stuff You're Looking For
Relationships

I’ve seen a lot of people mention that Darcy gets a lot of time while the other characters don’t, and I agree. I definitely get that he’s very important, but I also want to be able to build my relationships with Kayla, Taylor, and others! At the very least, I think it could work if beginning somewhere around chapter 4-5, there are more chances to talk to these other characters.

The characters themselves are great. I feel like they’re all real people who have a personality, with flaws and all. For the most part, my interactions with them seem meaningful.

I think Gabriel should have a relationship bar, though. While, of course, he won’t be romance-able, I think your relationship with him should affect some choices in the future. Just a though.

Research (Warning: Spoilers!)

I picked half-and-half. I really like Gabriel, but my research sounds cool too!

Other Stuff
Gender-Neutral Names?

There’s something that bothers me a bit when you get to pick your name. The default names are divided into categories, right? One thing I noticed was that while the “feminine” and “masculine” categories include common names like Danielle, Rebekah, Aaron, or John, the gender-neutral category contains only names that are either made-up or very, very, very rare. While it’s nice to see some of these kinds of names, there are plenty of more common unisex or gender-neutral names, like Sam and Alex, or (two personal favorites) Ariel and Rowan. That being said, I do love the names in the gender-neutral category currently :slight_smile:

Attack of the Typos (Warning: Spoilers!)

As for typos, I found a few.

At the part where you meet the Thetas for the first time, this appears. In this playthrough, Manish used they/them, but one of the choices read: That’s no good. Logically, it’ll activate when he catches it, so I knock it aside.

This one is less of a typo as far as I can tell. Who knows, might even be intentional! At one point in the story I had 41% Library Research and 43% Rhetoric. However, when I looked at the stats, it told me Library Research was World-Class, while Rhetoric was merely Expert. Wouldn’t World-Class be above Expert? Edit: After another playthrough, 40% Reasoning is World-Class and 41% Labwork is Expert. 43% Labwork is World-Class, though.

When Kayla explains what an algebraic geometrist does, one of the choices reads, Truthfully say, “That sounds fascinating.” (truth) The extra (truth) at the end is redundant.

And when you’re meeting Taylor for the first time, this pops up. “Careful, Rowan,” Taylor says with a crooked smile. “You might spook Taylor off.” I assume you meant Darcy the first time? Seems much more like him.

Does Young Darcy Have a Relationship Stat?

As I was playing through the backstory/memory pattern part, I noticed that in stats, Manish has a relationship bar, but Darcy doesn’t. Not sure if this one is on purpose.

As for how I feel about Darcy, here’s a quick summary through a quote from the story:

Why did you sabotage Darcy? Even if he deserves it, aren’t you better than that?

No, no I’m not.

7 Likes

@Pinmat135 Thank you so much for this! It’s extremely helpful. I’m glad to hear what worked and didn’t for you.

That’s good to know, thanks.

Oh, hm. He has a bar for his progress in the school, but I was reluctant to give him a specific relationship bar, since I tend to think of those as leading to potential relationships. But it’s good to hear a different viewpoint, and I’d be interested to hear other folks’ thoughts on this. (I do intend to let his progress affect how he interacts with you, for what it’s worth.)

Hm hm hrm. Thanks for this feedback. I’ll look at including more US-common gender-neutral names.

Good catch on the typos and on the Darcy relationship bar. I’ll look at all of that.

And for your reaction to Darcy: that is totally understandable. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Found the problem with Darcy’s missing bar! It turns out, if you’re going to control when a character’s stat bar shows up with a variable, you should make sure to set that variable in every path in the story.

8 Likes

Those are good points, and I’ll look to address them. You won’t be able to decline going after the fellowship, but I can make the motivations more clear.

2 Likes

I had meant to comment on how much I had enjoyed this last time I played through the demo, and then I forgot, whoops. No specific feedback at the moment though, sorry!

1 Like

THIS IS MAGNIFICENT, one of the best WIPs I have ever tried

4 Likes

I agree with the commenters above, this is fantastic!

3 Likes

Agreed with everyone. But one thing I’ve yet to wrap my head around is that we’re not supposed to memorize patterns as it could potentially alter our minds in ways or because of backlash. But if that’s the case how are we supposedly able to know that this pattern will do this or memorize what pattern does what?

Our character has a sort of magical visual synesthesia that allows us to see/sense the magic in a pattern, iirc.

For other pattern magic practitioners, I think this is where the pattern cards come in handy. I’m pretty sure there are labels and things on them that should help identify what’s what.

3 Likes

Ah yea, sorry I should’ve mentioned other practitioners.

But with that being said, I can sort of understand having labels on the pattern cards but not being able to memorize the patterns or risk permanent brain damage makes it sound like the world of being a practitioner is extremely difficult. Knowing magic / being able to use magic but not memorize exactly how to use? cast? the spells sounds pretty challenging.

Especially when you get into the subject of researching patterns since memorizing it for too long could potentially be brain damaging but not remembering what the pattern looks like means you lose out on improving/researching it. Both sound equally as frustrating, but I suppose it is what makes this so interesting.

holy shit Darcy can go get bent, that absolute soulless wench fucker her I hate her so much and

This was a really good game. It’s like Crème de la Crème, but if it had magic and was actually interesting. A great game with lots of potential-can’t wait for future developments.

4 Likes

It is! You’ll learn more about how practitioners handle patterns and research in coming chapters.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! But I’ll push back a bit, because Crème de la Crème is one of my absolute favorite CoG games. If I’m half as successful as Hannah was at creating interesting characters that pull you through the story and you care about, I’ll count myself lucky.

12 Likes

Well it need a save system. I lost some progress because a refresh the page or closed.

Why do you call her that ??? I want to at least give her a second chance for romance and trick her to humiliate herself when I break her heart with my sinister plan :smiling_imp:

5 Likes