Advanced Studies in Pattern Magic - WIP (Updated 5 Jun 2021)

Oh that meeting…I had the same confuse, and then took a peek at the code, and…all I can remember is that, that is not a research check.

This proves my point that certain skills are more useful than others, and I have no way knowing beforehand without looking at codes.

1 Like

I haven’t finished reading the WIP yet, but the story got me hooked so far. Also, it’s really cool that the PC has synesthesia because I do too =D It’s rare to see people with synesthesia on any media and this makes me so happy

4 Likes

Don’t let me misguide you… though most of the times I did fine without peeking the code, and the occasional where I did peek is rare. To me those skills are quite equal, but that you need to depend on your different skills during different occasions.

those are my status at some point hope may help

That’s super odd! I haven’t been able to reproduce it through randomtest, and inspecting the code, I’m not sure how it would happen. I’ll keep an eye out for it, though.

Ooh, good catch. Thanks!

One of the items on my to-do list is to go back through the early chapters and re-assess stat building. One thing I have done is make it so that failed stat checks increase the skill you were trying to use, so that you can improve even in ones you don’t specialize in.

It sounds like the underlying issue is that I didn’t do a good job having the choices communicate what skills would be tested with them. I’ll look at that one in particular, and would love to hear any other points where the choices weren’t clear. (That goes for you, too, @everything-in-ordis) I’ve also updated the stats explanation page to make the skill groupings clearer (essentially “magic” and “talkin’”)

Oh, neat! Thanks for letting me know that.

7 Likes

Hi! While playing I ran into this error:

It’s in the scene with Gabriel, towards the end of the chapter 5.

1 Like

@Mei_Hiroshi and @Isabel, between the two of you, you uncovered a really sneaky bug. I can’t believe you both uncovered it, and that I was able to actually figure out what was causing it. I’ve updated the game to fix the problem.

2 Likes

I encountered a same error like @Mei_Hiroshi but its different. Its says High and I forgot the line number sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s the same root cause either way. For any technical ChoiceScript folks out there, it’s because I have a single return value I use for subroutines, and the use in one place stepped on the use in another. The new version I uploaded should fix it.

5 Likes

@Sargent congratulations on fixing it

Found a point in chapter 2 where the option makes you believe the reasoning skill will be tested, instead it’s the rhetoric one.

#I’ll go through their reasoning and confirm that it’s correct.

*if skill_rhetoric > skill_rhetoric_hard_pass *set paper_review_quality_e 3
*goto review_paper_logic *elseif skill_rhetoric > skill_rhetoric_easy_pass

1 Like

That’s a big oof right there. Great catch! I’ve fixed it to correctly test your reasoning skill.