Abysm's Veil- Continuing the story. (WIP) Last update 11th December

adult-fiction
gender-choice
modern-fantasy

Just read the new chapter. I think it was my 5th or 6th time reading the whole story. I know it’s a lot of work to do a heavily branched chapter like that. It was worth it though. The new scene was very exciting. I didn’t notice any bugs on my first time through, but I’ll read it again this afternoon, and try different choices…

I love this story.

Thank you @Camille622! I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much :blush:

I think it was just that I wrote the same scene from 5 different view points with some different action options and stat related differences (especially for Leiko’s section) I managed to mix up some of the gotos and choices to I guess I ended up getting a bit cranky with this chapter. That sounds great that you didn’t notice any bugs on your playthrough though, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully means I’ve got the majority out of bugs out :slight_smile: !

I love this story. As @Camille622 says: the work you put into the chapter was worth it from a reader’s and fan’s perspective.

Thank you for your hard work in crafting a story I really like a lot.

Yes!!! I love this story, you have no idea how happy i was to finally see it being updated. It was one of my first WIP even stumbled in COG forum.

It is one of the few WIP where i don’t really care about character romances. The character dynamics are interesting. I’m looking forward where MC can go and how far can they fall and lost themselves. Hehe. Thank you.

Thank you so much @Eiwynn and @Hfei! I’m so glad you’re both enjoying this story, thanks for taking the time to reply, it means a lot. I’ll have to see if I can get some more of it up soon :blush:

It was definitely worth the wait, I’m enjoying it so far :smiley:

I think that’s meant to say he, since I’m playing a male MC.

Thanks @Ricemaker! I must be missing a variable there, I’ll get it changed in the next update so it works properly :smile:

The first part of chapter 5 is now up :slight_smile: (About 5.5k words.)
I seem to be turning up a gosub error in the last chapter I’m trying to track down, so if anyone has noticed any weird redirects or errors when reading though it, if you could let me know that’d be really fantastic thank you :grin:

(Sorry Ricemaker, just remembered forgot I needed to reupload the text file with the pronoun fix this time, will get that done later today.)

Did no one really noticed the bug if you decided to sabotage Leiko’s(I think that’s her name) singing?

Hi @APHRussia. Do you remember what the bug was that you got there? Was it a misdirect and you ended up in part of the story you shouldn’t have, or did the game break and give you an error? (Just helps me narrow down what I’m looking for as this is a big chapter.) Thanks :slight_smile:

Will we see more of Terrell?

@Red_Eyes Very likely :slight_smile:

I was wondering if I could have a show of hands for story tracking purposes. Are you trying to keep your humanity, or siding more with the rusalki part of your nature at this part in the story?

Possible slight spoilers in the poll for those not read up to the start of chapter 5. (Sorry discord dosen’t let me hide polls.)

• You didn’t try to hurt Terrell (pirate from the party).
  • You didn’t try to stop the girl from the second boat escaping.
  • You didn’t try to hurt either of the humans.
  • You gave into the rusalki part of your nature on both times.

0 voters

This is such a wonderful story! You really get a sense of isolation (physically, from being out in the sea, and mentally from either distancing yourself from humanity or distancing yourself from the other rusalki) and a feeling of dreaminess due to your memory/emotional loss even as you gain the memories and emotions of others.

Right now I’m trying to keep my humanity (and I like pirates), and so helped them at every turn – I’m a bit surprised the other rusalki haven’t just kicked me out of their group yet or tried sabotaging me in turn. :sweat_smile:

I believe it’s because of the *goto you used to get to Alex’s memory. I got that gosub error when the memory was about to end.

That’s so much @expectedoperator! That’s really lovely of you to say. Glad you’re enjoying it :blush:

Oh, you’re absolutely right. Somehow I missed going back and changing that when I made that sequence a gosub instead of a goto and the end of that track is missing. I’ll have to go back and finish writing it in. Thank you very much of the help! Digital cookies for both you and
@APHRussia as promised :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: (Wish there was a way to get real ones to you.)

Whistles innocently

The poll is interesting! Thanks for everyone who’s filled it in. I was expecting a main divide between supporting all humans or none, but it seems Terrell is more popular than I thought :pirate_flag:

I’m a big fan of dark side cookies so that’s where my adventures are taking me at the moment. Truly looking forward to you finishing this so I can buy and and play it as much as I do Tin Star :slight_smile:

It’s so easy to place myself in the head of my MC and feel her driving anger and passion at being murdered being directed at the targets she’s pointed at by the group, yet enjoying sneaking off to be a wolf among sheep at the masquerade party.

Well said - and seconded.

Oh wow, thanks @LordOfLA and @Eiwynn :blush:.

Ok, so the rest of chapter 5 is up! (About another 7.5k words. It’s a quick update since I already had most of it written, it just needed editing and to have all the bugs cleared out (hopefully this time.)

For anyone who hasn’t seen the discussion above, there is a known error in the previous chapter (chapter 4) which needs repairs. I’ve marked the choice with a warning and got it on a redirect to an undamaged section for the time being, so sorry about anyone who hit it. I’ll get that section written up and fixed as soon as I can.

Yeah, really feeling this one, here…

Oddly enough, I haven’t been able to find any bugs… where does everyone keep getting them?!?!?!

And chapter 5 was all around (I’m not that good with words) mysterious.

Heh, Rusalki politics. Deep.

Although, it’s pretty nice to see my name as one of the default options. It rarely seems to come up in stories, despite being not very uncommon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks @UmbraLamia :smile:!

There’s a lot of branching choices and if statements in the last chapter in particular, so unless you’ve made the right combo of choices and have the right stats, you can easily get around the errors that have turned up.

Literally deep :grin: