A Teahouse At The World's Edge - WIP

Kinda late here, but you’re right. “几个年” sounds Cantonese if I’m not mistaken: “gei gok nin.”

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for the note about Chapter 1 continuity—I’ll take a look.

Could you give some examples of where Xingtu’s grammar feels awkward? They have the most Mandarin dialogue and use a few different speech patterns, so I’d appreciate direction on where I could focus my attention.

1 Like

@nacarat
Sure, no problem. For example:

“你见过湖怪吗?” you hold up your phone.

Xingtu tsks, expelling air between their teeth.

“没人见过,不过谁都听说过了。你来这几天,青城山上怪事儿很多。夜市里有熊猫吃红薯,月城湖里来了湖怪,一条巨大的鱼。”

Xingtu talks with their hands, punctuating each sentence with their gestures.

“传说好,有传说就有吸引,有吸引才有游客。但是熊猫毕竟还是熊。” Xingtu mimes swiping at you with clawed paws. “真有湖怪的话,就真的麻烦了。”

I think a more “proper” grammar for these paragraphs will be something like this:

“你见过那只湖怪吗?” you hold up your phone.

Xingtu tsks, expelling air between their teeth.

“没人见过,不过谁都听说过。你来的这几天,青城山上怪事儿发生的多了。夜市里有熊猫吃红薯,月城湖里来了只湖怪,说是一条巨大的鱼。”

Xingtu talks with their hands, punctuating each sentence with their gestures.

“传说好。有传说的地方才有魅力,有魅力的地方才会吸引游客。但是熊猫毕竟还是熊猫。” Xingtu mimes swiping at you with clawed paws. “若是真有湖怪的话,那可就真的麻烦了。”

I don’t how good my Mandarin grammar is in the eye of native Mandarin speakers, but I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Okay i really like how you wrote this all. The characters are unique in their own way and the style of speech is very interesting. The humour is also top notch haha

2 Likes

This seems like a cool story! Also, just out of curiosity, can I ask why you chose Sichuan?

1 Like

I really enjoyed this and cant wait to read more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @nacarat, I’m one of the testers for your game. Please let me know what I can do to make my feedback most valuable to you - either in format or content. Is there anything specific you want me to focus on?

1 Like