A Tale of Heroes (WIP) - 218k words. Updated 12/17/2023 with Chapter 6: Part One!

Alright, getting started here in the forum thread for ATOH, I haven’t read anything before yet as I was waiting to finish reading lol

Here are the stats and I think I’ve found a bug when you’re dealing with the robots after you tell Aki to deal with Forlorn:

If I pick the last option, which I assume pertains to the Blaster stat it just jumps scenes to Aki initial failed attempts at calming Forlorn instead of blasting the machines. Or maybe it’s just work-in-progress still? Hope it is at least a bit useful.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah, that’s one of the bits still in the works, sorry about that. :sweat_smile: I’ve gotten extra busy the past few days because of restarting school, but thursday and friday are my ‘light’ days, so I’ll see if I can finish the hotfix that fills up the rest of the chapter then.

Besides that, it’ll have the slight rework to the ending of Ignis’s RO scene, and one extra option for dialogue.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story! If you have any thoughts, question, or any sort of feedback, feel free to ask! Also, the stats screen has a small codex covering the characters and a few other things as well, in case you’d like to submerge yourself a little more into the lore. :grin:

6 Likes

i still want a dress for the president’s dinner. :wink:

5 Likes

You may not believe this, but every time I’m working on an update, I tell myself ‘don’t forget to add the dress, Juan!’, and as you can clearly see… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll see it done with this hotfix, I promise!

7 Likes

This is something I figure I need to just ask for.

As a New Yorker- sorry- Gigachad.

You need to incorporate more shit-talking. It’s a requirement that if you live in that city you have to be able to talk an incredible amount of crap.

4 Likes

Aha, well, I’ve tried not to go too hard with the foul language since I know some people don’t really vibe with it, but…

Ignis is the Giga-born/Giga-raised member of the cast, and if you’ve played Chapter 4 and 5, you should be able to note I’ve had her really lean into her expletives as her mood worsens. She’s got a quickdraw on her ‘Fucks’. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

To be fair he’s right. There needs to be more shittalking.

For example, I’d love to rip Seeker a new asshole for constantly drinking and ignoring the woman that clearly wants to open her legs up for him. Fuckin noob.

Be like “so what’s the drink this morning? Jaeger? Bacardi? Or even that shitty Busch Light? Oh wait, you’re going for water! Ignis, call the reporters!”

2 Likes

See, that’s how you get your head separated from your shoulders.

There’s shit-talking and then there’s bullying. That’s just bullying someone who can shitcan you and send you into orbit.

If he’s feeling merciful he can inform you that you’re not at that stage in our relationship with him to make those jokes.

6 Likes

It’s kind of funny that we can have a somewhat better relationship with an emotionally consitpated guy with PTSD than with the guy who actively used his right of enrollment to get us in the League and supposed to act as our mentor while Lat got Ignis. But if I can bully him into quitting drinking and actually mentor us instead of running off for whoever knows what, then all the better for everyone in the long run.

4 Likes

You definitely cannot.

3 Likes

Watch me get a 0% relationship with him at the end of the series :joy:

7 Likes

To be fair, I don’t think there exists a person that Ignis is looking forward to doing that for, at least at the moment. In a way, you could argue even Aki is more forward regarding that sort of stuff than she is.

You’ll be able to complain about this, somewhat, though not in the way you think. At the very least, you’ll begin to see it dealt with.

All of Seeker’s ‘flaws’ come back to Victoria. A lot of it are unintended consequences that she couldn’t necessarily predict, but all that stuff like the drinking, the emotional distancing, and even the regular disappearances… All of those lead right back to the white-haired dragon.

If they’re lucky, they might get a chance to work that out at some point.

Hablando del rey de Roma…

Forlorn. 5/7.

Forlorn, the Major-Commander, 92nd Squadron. The Roaring Valkyria, the Flung Light…

…And the Defiant’s son.

Hope you like it as much as I do!

11 Likes

Is that a Detroit Red Wing hockey jersey he’s wearing? If so he’s gonna have some words coming from a Blackhawks fan :joy:

1 Like

Wow. They can call a team that?

More seriously, yes, it is! But like the VHS tapes at the bottom, it’s also a hint to something. Think of the symbol, and not the team. :wink:

2 Likes

Can… can we have a hangout scene with Forlorn with a option of wearing your favorite team’s jersey that just so happens to be the rival of Forlorn’s favorite? It’ll be amusing to see his reaction to that and boom, the beginning of a beautiful friendship that has a dose of friendly rivalry on the side.

3 Likes

Hmmm, maybe not a jersey, specifically, but you’ve given me an idea for a sports convo with the man!

And don’t worry, by the time Book 2 starts, the MC and Forlorn will have plenty of things to bond over, trust me. :smiley:

1 Like

Ooh, old VCR tapes. He looks cute, also kinda evil with the goatee. He’s still a jerk though, which is why my mc dislikes him, at least Seek stays out of our way when he doesn’t need anything…oh and of course Seek never nearly killed us with full intent.

That is not actually good news, as the only thing, besides being in the same hero league, that I can think of is that by that point both would be killers. Even then I think my mc will prefer literally everyone else on the team to Forlorn to have those kinds of conversations.

2 Likes

@Jjcb

2 Likes

That poor guy must had been suffering so badly if you know what the Bills are famous for :joy:

Meanwhile, that’s gonna be my MC hyping up his favorite team if they get to a championship game right on live TV.

1 Like

This was the third Super Bowl they lost in a row.

They had one more to go.

3 Likes