A Tale of Heroes (WIP) - 218k words. Updated 12/17/2023 with Chapter 6: Part One!

I don’t care…
-Empress of Nightmares. Evil Demoness :joy_cat::smiling_imp::smirk_cat:

My MC still wants her…

2 Likes

:laughing:

Thats makes the two of us but I am little bit realistic

You after she leaves you for Seeker

8 Likes

Yeah well… I’m stubborn :joy_cat::smiling_imp::smirk_cat:

Not me :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: but my MC will still fight Seeker…

2 Likes

All this Ignis drama…very glad my mc is super gay. :gay_flag:

Wow, Mars really is an uptown boy, eh? I assume the yacht technically belongs to his parents/family but still. :astonished:

4 Likes

Love Aki, avoid drama (and Forlorn).

6 Likes

Oh, no, no, absolutely not. It’s mentioned for about a line or two in Chapter 4, but Mars comes from a very working class family. That actually caused quite an issue when his powers showed up (imagine a kid with super sensitive hearing that lives about two blocks away from a bunch of train tracks).

He is making more money now (Stratton pays him about 50% more than a top-ranked Secret Service Agent), but he’s still very frugal when it comes to himself because of his upbringing. He knows how easily money runs out.

This will kind of come up when more of his backstory is revealed, and when the MC meets his parents (which… I am not sure where I will fit yet, but will most likely happen).

6 Likes

Aww…poor Mars. :hugs:

He has that in common with my mc then…although my mc may be more influenced by his own parents than he’d like to admit and likes to spend money while he still has it…because you never know when you’ll lose it all again.

His car does seem very nice though. :grin:
Well at least he did not get possessed by an energy alien and then catapult straight to the top of the FBI’s 10 most wanted list. So, small blessings, eh? :fearful:

But then my headcanon for my mc’s parents is that they are con-artists, basically Saul and Kim without the law degrees. So while his parents schemes may have netted them small fortunes on occasion they have always managed to lose most of it too. :sweat_smile:

The moment my mc most dreads, except for maybe Mars meeting his own parents. :sweat:

Still begs the question though, where did/does Mars get the yacht then, does he rent it or has he made some wealthy friends who trust him enough to take their own yachts out for the occasional spin?

Must still be one of the smaller yachts then because maintenance and fuel bills alone can run into the tens of thousands for normal yachts and millions of the super yachts quite easily.
Still if his parents use it as their home now…

True, although working with Forlorn is still far from comfortable and in the beginning there is also the raw deal that, unlike Lat, my mc never even fantasized about being a superhero. Maybe opening his own fancy restaurant eventually or something, but never really any very action oriented career. In fact superhero particularly front-line fighter would have been about dead last on his career choice list…funny how that works out, eh? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s something that pays off on the long run, honestly. :stuck_out_tongue: The newer/higher quality your vehicle is, the less times it’ll break down. He sees it as taking a big punch at first ro avoid a bunch of jabs in the future.

Well, he does still have to work for Stratton, so…Jury’s still out on who got the better deal, really. After all, at least your coworkers aren’t bigots.

It’s most likely a Stratton hands-me-down, to be honest.

Richard Stratton is… a dick, to put it in the nicest terms possible, but he’s known Mars since he was 14 or so. He cares for the kid, even if the nicest compliment he’ll throw is “You’re one of the good ones”.

There was probably a point where Stratton planned to buy a bigger one or something like that, was too lazy to get an actual deal going, and offered it to Mars at a ridiculous discount.

Mars probably couldn’t afford it still, but Stratton gave him a payment plan with no interest. He pays it “when he can” and “what amount he can”. As far as Stratton is concerned, he’s got enough money that it’s out of his mind at this point. It’d probably take him a full minute to remember he sold it.

He doesn’t really use it though, but he keeps it maintained enough for whenever his parents want to take a spin. The ocean air does his dad a lot of good.

2 Likes

You after fighting Seeker

4 Likes

Cool :smiling_imp::smirk_cat::kissing_cat: my MC is very much a lesbian :couplekiss_woman_woman:so extra trouble and drama that follows…

Forlorn will not leave your MC. :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: He will want yo kill your MC even more.

3 Likes

Again :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: not me but my MC will still not give up. Heal up and go on again.

1 Like

Done make me spam the image :eye: :eye:

2 Likes

And I want about 10 seasons of Only Murders In the Building right now, we all have to live with disappointment.

EDIT: Also of Our Flag Means Death. That’s 10 seasons EACH, not combined.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not particularly large. It can fit the League for an afternoon event, and it’s (barely) got enough beds for everyone to sleep in (well, with an empty one at that- Seeker prefers sleeping under the stars), but it’s not really impressive compared to what someone with Stratton level money could afford.

And no, no, his parents still have a normal house on land. His dad just uses it often because of his condition. The whole “ocean air is good for you” is because of that. He takes it out maybe once or twice a month.

Oh, don’t worry. By the end of the book, I think there’ll be… a few other careers even lower than superhero. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So, something like this then? The 33-model (cause I don’t think Stratton would take the entry level 30 model even as a “cheap” second yacht).

The yacht party does sound cool though I still like Seek and Nova’s ideas for parties too.
Will we actually get to see the yacht in-game?

Also have to check how missable Mars’ origin dialogue is, because if the mc can easily miss it then, while he may not actually be one, Mars will still make the first impressions of an uptown boy. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that is more or less what I had in mind! The price is actually around what I imagined as well, at least the original one. Stratton probably gave it to Mars for two or three million.

There will be a party in Chapter 8, that I can confirm. It’ll come after a certain amount of drama in Chapter 7, and be the last “resting” spot of the story before we march full speed ahead into the climax.

It won’t happen on the yacht, but I do have an idea for the player seeing it (you can probably guess based on all I have said today). Even if it doesn’t appear, it’ll be brought up at least two or three times, one of which will happen in the climax.

It comes up if you hang out with him in Chapter 4. I believe it’s the question about how he ended up working for Stratton? :thinking: I’ll have to recheck.

3 Likes

There could be an mc+Mars epilogue on it. :thinking: :pleading_face:

1 Like

Hello! I come bearing gifts!

First off, the rewrites are complete. The Prologue and Chapter 1 are both newly finished, and I think they look a lot better now! Chapter 5 is doing steady progress, too, so the full update shouldn’t be too far off now! Just a little bit more.

Now, with that said, I got a couple more commissions from Erineas, the same girl that did the Victoria and Aki commissions a while back. See them here:

The Star.

Ignis, Laura Coltello. A Princess to whom destruction flocks.

The Moon.

Kratis Daimon, the current Seeker. A chained Dragon, split between past and future.

I believe I’ve mentioned this in the Tumblr blog, but my goal is to have the whole cast done by her, because her pieces are drop dead gorgeous. It’ll take a bit of time, I don’t have unlimited funds or anything, but next up will be either Forlorn or Mars.

Also, as you know, AToH includes Character Profiles. Erineas, Heavens bless her soul, has agreed to let me use these commissions in the game as ‘official art’, and include them in the profiles. This means you can consider these pieces as the canon appearances of the cast, since they are what will be appearing in the game proper! :grin:

22 Likes