A Tale of Heroes (WIP) - 218k words. Updated 12/17/2023 with Chapter 6: Part One!

The lore looks nice. So I am going to try it

2 Likes

I know youā€™re still cranking out the details regarding the political stances and histories of the Revos and Libs but I have a ton of questions regarding how each party would have deal with the following events in history right after the end of WW2. You mentioned that they only formed around that time and only overtook the Reps and Dems with time so Iā€™m assuming there would have been a period where the old parties struggled with the new parties that was poised to take over their place in the american political establishment? Did something like that happen and if yes when?

Another question was how the parties reacted to the following events in history/how these events eventually lead to the existence of the parties:

=> Americaā€™s COINTELPRO and the inside destruction of the KKK and Leftist groups by the FBI.

=> Hooverā€™s wild ride by having black mail on literally everyone.

=> The Firrst and Second red scare that happened in the interwar period and the cold war respectively.

=> The slow death of unionism in the midwestern united states and all the strikes that happened before then like the Minerā€™s strike Harland County

=> The Civil Rightā€™s movement and the divide between militancy and peaceful demonstrations

=> How did the massive immigration affect the demographics and consequently the support for the old parties in general?

1 Like

This is the second unfinished game I have played and itā€™s pretty good. I loved the Ignis character and I am romancing her.But I just read in the forum that she will not end up with us. Thatā€™s pretty disappointing like canā€™t you make her romance tougher like you have to have pass many relationship checks instead of just making it impossible cuz she is the best ro I have seen in a long time.
Edit:I understand the reason but canā€™t you make it like extremely difficult like a state for ignis affection and make it extremely tough. Like a person would not be a able to win her romance easily and they have to show their affection, sacrifices or whatever it takes to win her because I think a lot of people would want her romance with a good end. Please donā€™t make it impossible just extremely difficult

9 Likes

Based on everything the author has said, donā€™t think itā€™s gonna happen, but I hear you. I mean, Iā€™m a gay man so Iā€™m happy with Mars, and Nova is ok (I actually want to romance Forlorn, oh well) but if I was into female RO, Iā€™d have a hard time because Aki is too juvenile and Lat is BFF and green-haired. Double no.

9 Likes

I mean yea but making impossible sucks like a 10 percent chance hell a 5 percent chance would be good aswell

8 Likes

Lats purple haired actually :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Lol I know. Iā€™m picking Mars but making heart eyes at forlorn.

@No_This_Is_Patrick my bad, but same sentiment. I just got over manic panic by age 19. Personal preference.

1 Like

The intricacies of relationships especially romantic ones are almost unlimited and often even unreasonable cause the matter of sentiments often escape the control of our organic machine that we call brain. I donā€™t know how easy will come to write about that, I myself am and amateurish writer, but more often than none the first step between two lovers doesnā€™t even come from them, sometimes itā€™s necessary outside forces and a third person openly trying to enamour Ignis would be a really strong incentive to Seeker especially if the attention is well received by her ā€¦ I myself years ago lost the opportunity to fight for ā€œthe one that got awayā€ (donā€™t want to enter into much details)
But seeing the person who you love slowly drifting beacouse you are afraid is one hell of incentive, in my case was to late xD but for many out there the risk of loosing something is exactly what push them to wake up and fight.

I hope that the fact that a romance path wonā€™t lead to a happy end wonā€™t stop people to abandon a really good story (as for myself I will do what I always do when a story ends in a way different than what I may have wanted, simply wrote my ā€œpost creditsā€ scenes haha)

I feel you haha, but reading the thread is easy and logic to understand why it is an impossible way to achieve this romance, at least not in the story so far, maaaaybe if the story would expand into a serie then I see a romance forming, but it would be difficult to made in a choice scripted game, it would be much easier to write a novel where you can expand in much more deeper details and relations.
Maybe an example would be easier to understand than my rambling: A book and a really good adaptation, doesnā€™t matter how good the adaptation may be it will never have the same detailed complexity as a book, the same I think is applicable to script games, even the best ones cannot explore and adapt all of the possibilities that would make reality a path in the story, so the author has to chose a limited amount of possibles outcomes and go with them
(Iā€™m not English native speaker so my phrasing probably is confusing)

Oh when I said her romance to be a possibility I never said it as in this game. I read the author they are planning for 3 parts so when I said that there should be a small chance just a small one . I meant it as that stat or whatever the author might choose will carry in for three books and if we pass it which shouldnā€™t be easy, we can end up with her.
Also the story thye have is ok for four chapter there are supposed to be 12 in total so a lil more progress. After that there is a book two as well and a book3 alos which should be sufficient to build proper relationship with proper time

6 Likes

Ik this isnā€™t for me but personally if I canā€™t a happy end on that path I would rather not play it. Hell I would prefer if she wasnā€™t an romance option all together instead of what we have

11 Likes

Now you just need a macho pose like Forlorn, then u will be the scariest overprotective dad of the thread xD

2 Likes

Wait so ignis romance has bad end? And here I was thinking how good she would be with mc. Well too me the the story felt a little boring except for ignis romance and now I get know that it is a bad end. I am gonna try when more chapters release but tbh this was a big blow I wonā€™t be surprised if I donā€™t play it againšŸ˜•

9 Likes

If weā€™re recommending Ignis/MC theme songs may I recommend Sister Hazel - Champagne High - YouTube.

I think I will still choose her romance for my first playthrough. I never needed to get the girl for it to qualify as a good ending. I was always more the emotionally stunted cowboy riding into the sunset type anyway. I may also be aromantic, but Iā€™m still figuring out what all that means.

I do have a small wish list for @Jjcb if they donā€™t mind.

1. Iā€™d want a real relationship. For me that means more than hand holding and late night talks. I know not everyone needs physical intimacy for it to qualify as a romance, but I do so it would need to be an option. Even if itā€™s off camera since I donā€™t know how you will be writing those sections.

2. Donā€™t decide my emotions. This is a big one and the reason IF romance is harder to write. When the big ā€œitā€™s not you itā€™s meā€ scene happens many writers kill it for me by assuming they know how Iā€™ll feel. Let me tell you how I am feeling. Depending on the circumstances I could be sad, angry, embarrassed, accepting, confused etc.

3. Bonus points if I can quote Sister Hazel at some point ā€œIā€™d toast to your future, but thatā€™d be a lie.ā€

3 Likes

It is a good time to move on from this particular topic of this romantic path between MC/Ignis; the author has made it clear how the narrative will go, and things are starting to veer into haranguing the author.

8 Likes

Alright you lot, every moment Gower needs to moderate a thread is a moment they canā€™t spend on Jolly Good, so shut it down. ā€œOr else?ā€, I hear you ask. Wellā€¦

(image credit to David ā€œDamn Youā€ Willis, of dumbingofage.com)

10 Likes

We donā€™t always get what we want in lifeā€¦ but we can all agree that berating God is certainly not going to change sh*t.

ā€“ Sun Tsu, The Art of Not Being Stupid

2 Likes

Alright, so, first of all, thank you @Gower for intervening. I appreciate it, and before JB says it, Iā€™m sorry I took you away from Jolly Good. :sweat_smile:

To end the topic on a good note though, @SeventhJackel:

1- Thatā€™s the plan, at least so far. You can already have a physical moment with Ignis in Chapter 4, and thereā€™ll be a few more as the story continues. No sex, again, because thereā€™s some baggage there that means you need some firm as bedrock trust to get it, but everything else will be possible.

2- Yeah, thatā€™s also going to be the case. You get to decide how you feel, and what that leads your relationship with the two of them to be in the future. Itā€™s gonna range all the way from ā€œI understand, it just wasnā€™t meant to beā€ to ā€œOut. GET OUT!ā€, so donā€™t worry.

Now, with that said, letā€™s get to the other topicā€¦ Politics.

Youā€™d assume correctly! There was some bitter fighting between all parties as they tried to gain control. It wasnā€™t until the 80s that we got back to any party getting 50% of the vote in the first run.

Iā€™m gonna tackle these two in one, because they more or less get the same response.

With situations like the one the US found itself in during the period, where the big guyā€™s seat is always in play, I think that is where we see the biggest problem of the way the government works.

4 years is just too little time, at least in the context of politics. The things that can actually better the citizenryā€™s life, the things that the government should pursue arenā€™t the things that win elections. Everyone wants to build a railway, or renovate the infrastructure of a state, but when that takes more time than youā€™re gonna be President (or Senator), not a lot of people are gonna go with that.

Theyā€™ll go with something thatā€™s a quick win, something they can weaponize (for popularity, I mean) as fast as possible, no matter how immoral or irrelevant in the long term it may be.

Soā€¦ all parties were game with having these things happen. It allowed them to squash some ā€œdangerous radicalā€ group for quick points with the voting public, and gave them the ability to claim ā€œhey, weā€™re keeping america safe!!ā€

Well, the first red scare happened a good bit before the Revolutionaries and Liberation (Liberators?) came about, but for the second, itā€™d be a more contested issue. There was a fear of ā€œcommunismā€, of course, but they had just accepted a good chunk of Russians into the country a few years back, so it wasnā€™t like they could be as blatant with their propaganda against the Soviets. So it was a more subdued campaign. Effective still, of course, but not every single movie villain was a russian with a bad english accent.

They made it more of aā€¦ concerted issue, you could say, of all nationalities and people fighting off the Red Specter.

Youā€™ll forgive me if I donā€™t answer regarding unions and the Civil Rights movement. The former I am not very educated about, and the latter is personally a very important topic, so Iā€™d rather not make claims or comments about it until Iā€™m sure.

One thing Iā€™ll note though, the power dampening cuffs mentioned in Chapter 3 actually were first invented in the Civil Rights period. What that means, though, Iā€™ll leave up to you all to discuss.

It affected it in the sense that parties had to do a lot more kow-towing and support of the immigrant population. America still isnā€™t a place very happy with hand-outs, but the fact that they shipped a couple million into the country means that they had to offer at least acknowledgement and get them on their feet. And whoever did that had the gratefulness of more than enough people to get a good bump when the elections came about, soā€¦

The Revos and the Libs definitely tried very hard to get them the needed support. The Dems and Reps couldnā€™t do as much, because they already had to share between them the conservative base, and any attempt to approach the new citizens meant their base would scream out.

So instead of gambling for a chance at relevancy, they instead decided to die the death of a thousand cuts.

5 Likes

This probably has already been asked xD but the answers are really a lot to search for me at the moment, about these powers that some individuals have, it will remain a mistery as of how they begun to appear, there will be some answers or we will have a full on exposition to the full story of the ā€œsuper humansā€?
(no personal preference on the matter, just curiousity)

And another thing our Mc is crearly a good person and we already saw and knew other superpowered being evil, itā€™s in some way clear that we will be the target of some governmental bullsh*** and publicly shun in some capacity, so when or if that happens how exactly our group will be seen (a mixture of deranged villains, vigilantes or a force of good?) in the political aspect of the things where there be uprisings against the government? (Iā€™m thinking about fantasy settings and even real life ones where the decisions make by the leaders against a popular source cause a great divide, the Nika revolt during Justinian rule come to mind or the way the Inquisition is seen in Dragon Age)

I have a bit of debacle in that personally. Iā€™m not going to tip my hand any way or the other, but since the origins of powers arenā€™t going to matter much in the plot that I have weaved up so far, I havenā€™t decided where they come from, or how they propagated.

Maybe itā€™s an evolutionary matter. Maybe itā€™s a recessive gene in all humans. Maybe a bunch of aliens landed on Earth, interbred with a bunch of humans, and everyone with powers are their descendants. Maybe God got high and thought itā€™d be really funny.

As for your second question, thatā€™s a decent spoiler on what this gameā€™s climax will be, but I can assure there more or less already is a stat for the Leagueā€™s popularity in the game. Brutal actions, as well certain statements the MC makes and other unavoidable events in the game will affect it.

Goodwill is important, but so is safety. So how much are you willing to compromise to keep the peopleā€™s faith, and how hard are you willing to fight so that there are people to get faith from?

6 Likes