A Squire's Tale–Outwit the faeries to rescue the prince of England!

@paladinofthelantern
Sorry, that’s my mistake - I must have rounded the percentages up instead of down when putting the walkthrough together. You should still be fine with those values!

I’m afraid adding save points would be up to Choice of Games rather than me - I don’t believe that’s a feature they plan to offer currently, but you could always try asking them?

@Sabrewolf
Is there any particular bit you’re finding difficult to complete, or any ending(s) you’re aiming for?
There isn’t a ‘best’ ending as such due to the number of different sub-plots.

1 Like

@Xagarath
No problem. By the way, I’ve gotten to Chapter Six and I chose to kill the white stag. Will that make me unable to rescue my sister or prevent the other endings I want from happening? And is it okay that at the end of Chapter Six my relationship with Catherine is 74 and not 82? Again, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me!

I’m aiming for sucessful romance with Catherine and at least a Knighthood.

@paladinofthelantern You’re very welcome, and you should be fine with both of those as well! I included some redundancy on the Relationship value - 70 is high enough to pass everything.

@Sabrewolf Try the walkthrough I posted here: A Squire's Tale–Outwit the faeries to rescue the prince of England! You can ignore the parts about the riddles and the thief, and can choose a different skill instead of Hunting to prioritise if you prefer

1 Like

That’s a relief. I thought killing the stag would make Lord Aconite mad at me and I’d be unable to rescue my sister. Is having high rationality good too? :joy_cat:

High Rationality will be useful in some places but won’t help against the Lord of Aconite. High Courage should be all you need to defeat him!

1 Like

@Xagarath
I just now mapped out Chapter Eight and I passed all the tests but one. When I came to the Hill of Glass I ended up losing money regardless of which option I picked. It doesn’t worry me too much since I have plently to become a knight and for the slightly better ending (168 gold). However, I believe I read a previous post that said if I fail too many tests I get called back to Cockaigne. I’m somewhat wary of that happening, although I don’t think that’s going to be the case as I have high Courage (89) and should be able to defeat him. I just want to make sure. Also, is rescuing Cecilia dependent on picking all or most of the multiple options relating to her? For example, in Chapter One I selected that I still dream of taking vengeance on whoever took her because it boosted my Courage. Or is it determined by overcoming Lord Aconite? Forgive me if I’m being too needy.

Don’t worry, the Hill of Glass won’t make a difference.
And rescuing Cecilia is determined by defeating the Lord of Aconite, as long as you defeated the riddling child and got the clue from the thief in the dungeons first - those two give you enough Cecilia-centric choices to pass the first test and recognise her.

2 Likes

@Xagarath

I can never thank you enough for all the help you’ve given me. You’re an awesome person. :heart_eyes_cat:

You’re very welcome - I’m just glad you’re still enjoying my game!

1 Like

I’m really struggling with the grey god. I’ve taken the amulet, talked to the scholar and used the amulet as a token but I always end up throwing it on the floor and it’s never mentioned again. Is there something that I’m missing or a guide to help?

Try thinking about what the grey god actually values.

It’s a god of misery and failure. Lose the first round of the tournament.

I been trying to get to gray god route too. I lost the first round and got a different outcome and I was excited. After that nothing special happened. I tried second playthrough to lose the first round again and try to fail as much as possible, like fail to prevent assassination, fail every obstacle during path and drink poison and lost to lord aconyte. But nothing special happened. Is there anything I need to look out for gray god after tournament?

There are two more key triggers after the tournament:

• Fail to intimidate or reason with the Clifford guards at the start of chapter 7
  • Get taken captive by either the castle guards or the moat guardian in Chapter 9

Thank you. Got in the route within 5 tries. That’s cool.

1 Like

It has been a long journey, but I have finally reached the end. I have mapped out every single choice along the route I have taken and, should you allow me, I will be more than happy to post it for those having trouble like I did. I wrote it in the same format as I have explained before. I did misunderstand you when you advised me to sacrifice William’s relationship with Pyers. I thought you meant Catherine instead. Even after realizing my error I still kept my original choice because I thought Pyers’ part in the ending would be compromised and it seemed like something William would think anyway. It was so nice to just be able to sit down and read the story. I only read one chapter any given day to draw it out that much longer.

I know you are a Master Wordsmith because “A Squire’s Tale” ending makes me both very sad that it has come to a close and yet exceedingly happy that William, who only appeared as a brief flash in my mind’s eye at first, has become a knight, rescued his sister, and gained the love of his lady. This story has touched me to the core and I can never thank you enough for it or your aid in getting me here. You are a kind and wonderful person and it is good to be reminded that such people exist in the world. I do have a final request, though. Would you be open to answering some questions I came up with? I would appreciate it very much.

Warm regards. :cat:

Thank you, I’m really glad you enjoyed it so much and finally got the ending you were after - and please do post your questions, I’ll answer them if I can!

I first want to ask if I have your permission to post the guide I wrote up. If you are uncomfortable with that I understand. Here are the other questions I came up with. Please forgive me if I have too many and thank you again for taking time out of your day or night to reply to me.

*How was Cecilia’s wedding ceremony conducted? I had some trouble understanding the particulars. That’s just me, though.

*If and when William and Catherine marry does William become an earl and Catherine a baroness? Do their lands combine into a an earldom, a barony, or both?

*Should I not have chosen the Abbey as an ally if I wanted the Crook’s Field Fair to keep visiting? If I had gained them as an ally would the Abbey no longer be active? If I had neither on my side would they have come into conflict?

*Would me sacrificing my relationship with Pyers in Chapter Ten have affected his part in the ending in any way?

*Could I have done anything to prevent the conflict with France at the end?

*Is Squire Bigod related to Duchess Margaret Of Norfolk?

*What real life people, places, and mytholgies appear in “A Squire’s Tale”?

*What would have happened if the Duke Of Gloucester had not been poisoned?

*In Chapter One it is stated that, before his death, Hugh Clifford was heir to his father’s lands, but also that this title belonged to his elder brother, Thomas. Which one was it?

*I know from an earlier post of yours that the Squire would be in their late teens. I personally imagine William to be nineteen. What age would Catherine be, though? Someone suggested early twenties. I’m curious as to what ages they were when William’s squireship began.

*Would William be able to propose to Catherine or woud he have to ask for her hand? Do knights even have arranged marriages in “A Squire’s Tale” or do they only happen in certain circumstnaces like with Cecilia?

*If Catherine takes William’s last name would she still bear the FitzAlan arms during a tournament? What arms would their children display when riding in one?

*Are there any books you can recommend on England, Faeries, the Middle Ages, or just in general?

Feel free to post the guide as long as you spoiler it!

And I’m afraid I can’t answer all of those (mostly the ones I never researched!), but here are the ones I can:

If and when William and Catherine marry does William become an earl and Catherine a baroness? Do their lands combine into a an earldom, a barony, or both?
This one would partly be at the King’s discretion, but it’s likely William would become an Earl and Catherine would be a Countless, although still addressed as Lady.

Should I not have chosen the Abbey as an ally if I wanted the Crook’s Field Fair to keep visiting? If I had gained them as an ally would the Abbey no longer be active? If I had neither on my side would they have come into conflict?
You’re right - I’m afraid you have to pick one or the other. There isn’t a way for the two to peacefully co-exist.

Would me sacrificing my relationship with Pyers in Chapter Ten have affected his part in the ending in any way?
It might have done, depending on how high your Relationship with him was.

Could I have done anything to prevent the conflict with France at the end?
Afraid not - I’m just referring to recorded history at that point.

Is Squire Bigod related to Duchess Margaret Of Norfolk?
Yes he is - well spotted!

What real life people, places, and mytholgies appear in “A Squire’s Tale”?
It’s simpler to list the people who aren’t real: namely the main character, Lady Catherine, Prince Bertram, and Cecilia Dacre.
All of the other titled nobility (Lords, Barons, Earls and so on) are real historical characters, and so are all of the places before Crook’s Field.
Cockaigne is based on real medieval folklore, as are some of the people you encounter crossing it - especially the upside-down village.
All of the named Faerie-folk, the Grey God, and the village of Crook’s Field are my own invention (and a few of them appear in my other books)

What would have happened if the Duke Of Gloucester had not been poisoned?
That’s actually an alternative path through the game, although it doesn’t make a lot of difference to the main plot - it changes some dialogue with Baron Strange and a few lines at the end.

In Chapter One it is stated that, before his death, Hugh Clifford was heir to his father’s lands, but also that this title belonged to his elder brother, Thomas. Which one was it?
I can see how that might be confusing! Hugh was Thomas’s heir when he vanished five years ago because Thomas had no children at the time. Thomas’s own son, you’ll notice, was born 1 year ago.

I know from an earlier post of yours that the Squire would be in their late teens. I personally imagine William to be nineteen. What age would Catherine be, though? Someone suggested early twenties. I’m curious as to what ages they were when William’s squireship began.
She would probably be in her mid-late twenties. Squires started at age 14 having served as pages previously, so she would have been in her early twenties when his squireship started.

If Catherine takes William’s last name would she still bear the FitzAlan arms during a tournament? What arms would their children display when riding in one?
Both of their coats of arms would be joined together into a new one upon marriage - the processes around this were complex and depended upon whether either spouse had and siblings who could also inherit the arms. If you want to research it in detail, look up impalement in heraldry.

Are there any books you can recommend on England, Faeries, the Middle Ages, or just in general?
Faeries are really the only area of those I have much expertise in!
For traditional folklore, I’d recommend the Opies’ book The Classic Fairy Tales, Jack Zipes’ recent translation of the original uncensored 1812 and 1815 Brothers Grimm tales, and Basile’s classic Pentamerone (but with the caveat it has some badly-dated 17th-century racial stereotypes)
For fiction, try: Hope Mirrelees’ Lud-in-the-Mist, John Crowley’s Little, Big, Neil Gaiman’s Stardust, Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Jeanette Ng’s Under the Pendulum Sun, Frances Hardinge’s Cuckoo Song, T Kingfisher’s Bryony and Roses, and Naomi Novik’s Uprooted.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to type all that out! I’m really happy that William would be able to become Earl Of Arundel. At least, I think that would be one of his titles. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t think Richard would be too happy about either that or him marrying Catherine. And it is very interesting to me that Bigod is related to Margaret, which I’m assuming would mean he is her grandson. I like to imagine he makes amends with William and even marries Cecilia, becoming his brother-in-law. As for the books you recommended, I can’t wait to check them out. I’ll also be looking for your works as well! Many thanks for letting me post my guide. Here it is. I hope someone can make use of it. :heart_eyes_cat:

Guide Notes

1.This is only for the route where the Squire becomes a Knight Of The Garter/Rescues Cecilia/ Romances Catherine

2.I have tried to make this guide as detailed as possible, but I still might have made some mistakes.

3.I had to guess at some of the stat checks, such as William putting his hand on his sword in the Norfolk Tent. I am sure that most of them are correct, though.

4.I may have failed during a stat check, such as the Hill Of Glass, but it someone has a high enough skill they will pass.

5.Although the Lord Of Aconite, does not appear under the “Relationships & Allies” section, certain actions can gain or lose favor with him.

6.Rescuing Cecilia stops certain stat checks in Chapter Ten. An example would be William not being able to sneak into Castle Naward due to her protests.

Chapter One

(Choice #1)
A [+Hunting] {x}
B [+Combat]
C [+Archery]
D [+Music]

(Choice #2)
A [+Humility,-Pride] {x}
B [+Caution,-Courage]
C [+Superstition,-Rationality]

(Choice #3)
A [+Caution,-Courage]