A poll on circumstance in media

I tend to write short stories and uncoded CYOA games, and I am, or at least I think, decent at writing them, but I don’t really know what I wide audience thinks about a few subjects, so I thought I would ask. Here we go…

*Do you prefer deep dramatic suspense or mind-horrifying gore.
*Do you prefer hard to understand/specific comedy or cheap or quick to understand/sexual, etc., jokes.
*More story or more immersion
*Dramatic endings, sad endings, happy endings, or suspenseful/drop off endings.
*Classic typing CYOA games or CoG clicking type games.
*Choice of Games or Hosted games.
*Action/Hack n’ Slash, Horror/Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure/Exploration, or Sci-Fi/Dystopian games.
*and last, but not least, do you like monetary usage and control and distribution of resources in games.
Thanks everybody! Any opinion or perforation is welcome. If anybody else has questions like these, feel free to ask. Again, thank you all!

Yay and Nays in your COGS

mind-horrifying gore/hard to understand/dramatic and sad endings/ Both/ Both/ All/ Yes I do

Do you prefer deep dramatic suspense or mind-horrifying gore.
I prefer deep dramatic suspense. I simply cannot handle suspense, murder, or anything like that (For reference, I couldn’t even finish a Nancy Drew book since I was terrified!). The strange thing about me is that I don’t mind blood or gore, just not the horror and suspense that goes around it.
Do you prefer hard to understand/specific comedy or cheap or quick to understand/sexual, etc., jokes.
I think it really depends on the game. I can understand and I enjoy both types of humor as long as they are done well. Sometimes if people try way too hard to be funny, then it just isn’t funny…
More story or more immersion
Why do you make me choose!!! :frowning: I guess if I had to pick one I would pick a story. I read books, CYOA games, play RPGs because of the story. If it has a good story, then I usually feel invested in the story anyways. It’s just a perk if the game allows me to interact with it more or make my own character.
Dramatic endings, sad endings, happy endings, or suspenseful/drop off endings
All of the above! Out of those that you mentioned my least favorite endings are drop off endings, unless you plan on continuing it into another game/story/whatever. I like to feel some sort of closure in my game, whether I feel warm and fuzzy or sad in the end. :smile:
Classic typing CYOA games or CoG clicking type games
Again, I have played and loved both types. Depends on what fits the style of the game.
Action/Hack n’ Slash, Horror/Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure/Exploration, or Sci-Fi/Dystopian games
All except horror for me! Though I personally jump on anything that has a fantastical/romance-y feel.
monetary usage and control and distribution of resources in games
I think it’s cool to include, but I hate to get so bogged down in it. I would rather focus on the story than choose that 501 and 1/2 troops head north or if my character goes to the store which bread do they buy.(Not that I’ve read games like that, but just listing the extreme end of the spectrum!). I like simple monetary usage, control, and distribution, but get me back into the action and make the distribution count!

Thank you, and @LadyWreckful, I agree, I love the Romance/Fantasy type games. @anon48296871- Yeah, I personally like the obscure jokes, being that way makes them all the more powerful.

1. deep dramatic suspense
  2. hard to understand comedy
  3. more story
  4. depends on the game
  5. CoG
  6. depends on the game
  7. any of the above
  8. no opinion

While I enjoy some gore, I feel it isn’t usually successful in a written medium. I prefer suspense and some good old fashioned action instead.

Do you prefer hard to understand/specific comedy or cheap or quick to understand/sexual, etc., jokes.
Both. I like more meta and subtle humor as a large majority. However, dirty or silly “cheap” comedy can be really great when you aren’t expecting it. Even then, I prefer it to be a more clever variety.

Immersion!

Dramatic endings, sad endings, happy endings, or suspenseful/drop off endings.
The option to choose. But I hate drop off and suspenseful cliffhanger endings. Making it open to interpretation can be nice, but only if the work feels complete first.

Classic typing CYOA games or CoG clicking type games.
I like the choice of games formula for storytelling.

Choice of Games or Hosted games.
Hosted! My first love was with CoG, but my favorites are by far in the hosted games section. The characters and worlds are more developed and thought out, and often more character driven too, which I prefer over more plot-driven games by an ENORMOUS margin.

Action/Hack n’ Slash, Horror/Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure/Exploration, or Sci-Fi/Dystopian games.
All are great! Though I have a preference for fantasy and adventure.

and last, but not least, do you like monetary usage and control and distribution of resources in games.
I don’t mind it, but it can be odd to keep track of sometimes and leads to broken immersion.

Both is good, however in the CoG medium with its replay value I think after the game is replayed a couple times both the suspense and the gore kind of lose their impact (If I had to choose, I’d say gore though)
I prefer the specific/hard to understand comedy, sometimes cheap jokes put me off because I prefer serious games (obviously, if it’s a comedic game then of course include all the jokes)
Story!
SAD ENDINGS! (that may or may not be dramatic as well) Happy endings are not my favorite thing but if they’re done well they’re satisfying, and cliffhanger endings more often than not seem a bit lazy and ‘well I don’t know how to wrap this up so I’m going to just make it really vague’ kind of thing… if it leads into a sequel or something, though, then it’s acceptable.
Well, I could never figure out the right commands to type into the classic CYOA games and I’d just be stuck there typing anything I could think of into the box and not getting anywhere, so I prefer the CoG style XD it’s easier to not… get lost…
Choice of Games or Hosted games.
Both… I can’t choose; I have favorite games from both CoG and HG :smiley:
Action/Hack n’ Slash, Horror/Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure/Exploration, or Sci-Fi/Dystopian games.
Science fiction is literally my favorite thing in the world so… sci-fi (dystopian not so much, but still ok) but fantasy and adventure are close behind sci-fi on my list.
*do you like monetary usage and control and distribution of resources in games.
A little of that s OK, but if money/resource management is a big factor in the plot it might get a little boring in my opinion, but again, it really depends on the game.

@enterprisi- I definately agree withe the sad endings, mainly because they provide more immersion for me. I am also like you, I can NEVER get the classic text - based controlling keywords down.
@Bootsykk- I definitely like adventure and exploration games along with fantasy, however I always tended to lean towards CoG games
@Shawnheatherly. I like story but I usually like more immersion, but immersion is only good if you have a good story. I would have to say between a 60%-40% to a 65%-35% immersion to story ratio depending on the game.
Again, thank you , you don’t know how much I value and look into all of your opinions (even if I won’t be making a game any time soon).

I prefer dramatic suspense over gore any day of the week, mostly because gore doesn’t scare me: it just icks me out and if wanted that I would just go outside and look at a cicada or something.

I like any comedy that knows it’s funny. Like, if I read something that is an obvious joke played straight without any wink wink nudge nudge kind of stuff, I will appreciate it, even if I don’t really like the joke.

I don’t see why you can’t have both??? I guess I’ll say immersion though because I tend to really like things that have extremely realized personalities for the characters (i.e. so real i get immersed in the world because of it), even if there is no real plot to speak of.

Dramatic endings are my preference, as sad just kind of strikes me as lazy, happy can be done wrong too easily, and drop off endings are just stupid imo and make the whole story a waste of time unless they are handled with extreme care.

I like clicking type games. The typing ones always seem to have options I can’t figure out so I usually end up stuck about half way through.

Hosted games tend to be more inventive and experimental, which is what I prefer.

I like all of those genres but you left out the only genres I pretty much universally like, which are romance and life-sim games (by which I mean really uber mundane settings where the goal is to pass a class or something else relatively minor in terms of achievement but major to the player character).

I like resource control in some games, if it works with the plot. A game like the life sims I mentioned where you had to make sure you also had enough money for rent would be interesting to me, or a fantasy game where you had to collect resources to improve your base of operations, but a game like Slammed or Heroes Rise would only be hurt by it I think.

• I’d go for suspense, though horror movies should have a little gore in it too

*Do you prefer hard to understand/specific comedy or cheap or quick to understand/sexual, etc., jokes.
-The first one

-I think you need a good bit of both for success

-Suprise me

-I like them both

-There’s good and bad of both…

*Action/Hack n’ Slash, Horror/Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure/Exploration, or Sci-Fi/Dystopian games.
-From most liked: Horror, Scifi, Action

*and last, but not least, do you like monetary usage and control and distribution of resources in games.
-Depends on how used

1. Depends on the story being told. Most of the time I’d prefer drama to gore though. Characters aren’t that interesting if all they can do is die horrible.

2. Either.

3. I don’t see how those are in any way opposed. Story creates immersion.

4. I guess I’m ok with all of them though I prefer happy endings.

5. Definitely prefer clicking. Text parsers can be fun, but usually they end up making it so that the game is not actually very responsive to your choices and there’s only one linear path through. Multiple choice games make it a lot easier to do multiple paths. One of the only Parser games I’ve seen do non/multilinearity well was Mystery House Possessed by Emily Short http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=69q5074l0pa3

6. Well, the hosted games tend to have so many more options which results in them having more really good and really bad games. I can ignore the bad ones, so I guess I like hosted games better because CoGs tend to be fairly uniformly ok in quality and content while hosted games can be really awesome.

7. I like most every genre, although I like options to play a character as non-violently as possible. I usually want to avoid killing NPCs in combat. I always thought it’d be a cool idea to have an 80s slasher flick style game with a bunch of characters doing typical 80s slasher flick character style things and you could choose whether or not to join them, then your choices could determine whether they all live or die. I guess that reflects back on all of the previous answers.

8. I generally am not crazy about that kind of stuff, but it can be fun when done well.

@SpaceLesbian- Thank you! I can’t believe I left out romance and simulation games, with romance being one of my top five genres and all.
@Doctor- Thank you, I want you to tell me what you like in any medium, whether it be music or virtual reality.
@Shoelip- Thank you for the link, and I agree suspense over gore, although Sean Bean is awesome.
Thank you all. I am thinking about putting new questions up about every 2-3 days, kind of making this a poll thread where I ask people’s opinions, so, here go’s. Again…
*Which attribute(s) do you value more in games- Intelligence, Charisma, Sneak, Power, Leadership, Cultural knowledge, and/or good, evil, etc, or really Any stat you know of.
*What do you think about puzzles in games? What kind of games are puzzles good in?
*Do you like to be able to sympathize with a villain, do you like to all out hate the villain, do you like to envy a villain, or do you like to doubt the “villain” is really evil.
*Do you generally like video games based of movies, or vice-versa.
*What are subjects you like to talk about

@Alvern, by virtual reality I hope you mean video games… Otherwise you lost me…
In music, I like skilled musicians and well written music/lyrics. Other than that I’d say: “I like that old time Rock N’ Roll”
In Video Games, I like knowing what I’m supposed to be doing, and I like thinking to myself: “How the Hell am I going to beat this.”

Here are my answers:

Both is good, but I think mind-horrfying gore works better in choice script games.

Unless the whole game is a comedy, specific is better.

A good balance is neccesary.

A good game should offer many different endings, offering replayability.

CoG games.

As I said in other threads, for me as a player there is no difference, but by now I have downloaded more hosted games then official.

I like all of them if they’re written and coded well.

Yes.

*Which attribute(s) do you value more in games- Intelligence, Charisma, Sneak, Power, Leadership, Cultural knowledge, and/or good, evil, etc, or really Any stat you know of.
I like good balance, ideally none of these attributes should be a game breaker.

*What do you think about puzzles in games?
They should be coded with a random generator, otherwise they become boring during replays.

*What kind of games are puzzles good in?
Whereever they can be fitted into the plot.

*Do you like to be able to sympathize with a villain, do you like to all out hate the villain, do you like to envy a villain, or do you like to doubt the “villain” is really evil.
I like villains who are written vell and made believeable. All of the four options can be true for different games, or even for differnet villains in the same game.

*Do you generally like video games based of movies, or vice-versa.
Yes.

*Should I continue to ask questions like these?
If you want to.

*Do you like answering these questions? Am I inconviencing anybody?
It’s not the first time I answer such questions here or anywhere else. I hope you’ll make good use of the results.

*What are subjects you like to talk about
I’d like to discuss games.

@Doctor-Yes by virtual reality I mean regular video games, whether on Apple or Android, or PC , or a console, or even one of those VR headsets.
@WulfyK- Thanks!

PART 1.

1)suspense > gore.
although certain genres/subject should have some(e.g. zombies/werewolves/creature-feature)

2)subtle/dry comedy > laugh-a-minute.
but dark-humour beats all

3)depends on the genre/world, I love both.
in a CYOA immersion/customization is key(IMO)

4a) I HATE cliff-hangers in anything other than mid-way through a story(so you can quickly resolve the issue.
they’re(usually)used as a cheap way to get audiences to return, plus when things get canceled/abandoned it
screws-over the fans.

4b) for dark/light it doesn’t matter to me as long as A:it’s well done and B: it makes sense for that story.
also a happy ending can have a dark tone(and vice-versa) Pan’s Labyrinth is a good example of this.

5).COG > CYOA
I find them neater/easier to use.

6).Hosted Games > Choice Of Games
so far.

7). Fantasy/adventure > others
give me bows/axes/magic and I’m a happy guy

8).yes

PART 2

1). morality(for me)is necessary in games, after that i love: Charisma, Stealth,knowledge(only if it affects dialogue options),
agility, and strength options(though i rarely make a strength-focused character)

2a). I like puzzles(when done right)but only as a rare occurrence(puzzle games excluded obviously)

2b). I tend to prefer word puzzles/riddles(e.g. dragon age sacred ashes) as well as subtle/optional background puzzles that grant a minor reward. also(again NOT talking puzzle games) I prefer the puzzles to be east to medium difficulty(unless they’re optional then either is fine)

3).I waver on this, but generally i prefer sympathetic/understandable villains with a twist of darkness(e.g. Saren from Mass Effect or Andrew Ryan from Bioshock)though sometimes i like all-out wack-jobs(like Vaas from Farcry 3 or Patrick Bateman from american Psycho)

4a).(games to movies) I would if Hollywood wasn’t so freaking bad at adapting them.

4b). (movies to games) I actually can’t recall if i’ve ever played a game based on a movie before, but probably the same as 4a).

1. In a friendly/peaceful setting(like these forums) my favourite things to talk about are:
    A: good vs evil vs grey areas B: “villains” C: Books D:Obscure references E:Fantasy(e.g. werewolves) F:Games

Part 2 of the questions
Which attribute(s) do you value more in games- Intelligence, Charisma, Sneak, Power, Leadership, Cultural knowledge, and/or good, evil, etc, or really Any stat you know of.
I’m a player that plays GOG games multiple times, so each time I focus on different stats. I especially enjoy seeing small dialogue changes/options or even small scenes that relate to your knowledge/specialization/whatever you wanna call it. :wink:
What do you think about puzzles in games? What kind of games are puzzles good in?
I generally like puzzles in games, but I’d still like an “oh crap abort” button. As I said in my last question, I replay the GOG games multiple times. If there are multiple ways to beat a puzzle then by all means I don’t mind playing, but if its a lengthy puzzle with only one answer or it doesn’t add much to the story then I’d like the option to skip. Maybe the option could only be available if you’ve beat the game once or something?
Do you like to be able to sympathize with a villain, do you like to all out hate the villain, do you like to envy a villain, or do you like to doubt the “villain” is really evil.
I don’t believe that villains think they are “evil”, so I’d like to see why they do what they do. I can enjoy all different types of villains, but I try to steer clear of villains whose only goal is to spread evil just for the hell of it (unless they have some crazy circumstances to explain it!). :frowning:
Do you generally like video games based of movies, or vice-versa.
I generally don’t enjoy games based off of movies. I will admit, sometimes I will watch movies based off of games that I enjoy… 99% of the time I end up disappointed.
What are subjects you like to talk about
I usually talk about video games, fantasy stuff, and books with my family/friends/online. I recently began cosplaying so that’s a major thing on my mind too. :smile:

@Alvern Ha! Glad I could remind you of what’s really important then. As for your new questions…

I like any stat that lets me avoid fighting and/or lets me make other characters happy more easily. So Charisma/Sneak/Persuasion/whatever.

I like puzzles in most games, although I hate it when there are REALLY hard puzzles in games that are not dedicated puzzle games, because they usually take the wind out of the rest of the story.

I <3 villains that are sympathetic, and I <3<3 games that let me redeem/join them in the end. Envying a villain might be cool, but I’ve never really seen that happen before!

I typically avoid movie games or game movies, just because they frequently are not that good. Though that doesn’t mean I WON’T play one at all. I love a lot of the Lord of the Rings games, and Alien: Isolation is super duper.

I love talking about real world issues like racism, crime, mental illness, poverty, and real world things that aren’t issues, like romance or general living. I guess I just like the real world!

@SpaceLesbian- I agree, I guess a real world game is just more relatable
@AdamGoodtime- Heh, yeah, Hollywood doesn’t have a good track record with game movies or movie games. I personally think that they could be made well, but alas.