A Mage Reborn, Book Two (WIP) - UPDATED August 7th | Book One Released!

It’s interesting how I’d put Mind Blind in that suffering pack too, but it depends on how you play the MC, cause it’s purely emotional suffering depending on how the MC percieves things in that case.

5 Likes

;-;
okay this is fine
thank you dad for this food

4 Likes

Haaaa, it hurts but it hurts so good. Love it.

1 Like

Glad you caught that one! The way this stats screen was approached is something I’m rather proud of aha.

Well-noted! I’m editing the build as we speak.

Sure thing :slight_smile: Just as soon as I finish beta-ing.

I’m in lofty company, then. The Exile and I, the Forgotten One are two of my hardcore favorites on this site!

15 Likes

I have just realized a very sad thing after my first time diving into the code…

Alchemy is the only type of magic that can’t grant you one of the “good” outcomes during the encampement mission with the White Fangs. Aaand if I want to use my secondary magic type, Enchantement, then if I still play the way I want, I end up ONE point short from being able to use it… saaaad

Ahem, that’s not so important - I was just surprised when I realized it.

2 Likes

Sorry about that! If you choose to cast an enchantment spell against the Elyssian beast and to help Ilya, your enchantment should be high enough to clear the encampment stat check. I assume this goes against the way you want to play, which is unfortunate :frowning:

By the way, Sunblind should be good to go. OP is updated as well. Thanks again for the catch!

4 Likes

Yeah, I NEED to save her with Alchemy for my playstyle! I have replaced one of my Alchemy choices by an Enchantment one during the fight, but I’m one point short because of the healing method.
But eh, it’s okay, as I said - can’t really do anything about it: I prefer to play in-character than for the stats sooo :sweat_smile:

Cool! I’ll probably replay later!

Ah, I have also checked the code for Sunblind while I’m at it, and I thiiink I’ve spotted an error?
For the choice that determines the strongest stat between charisma, learning and intrigue:
“Sorry Sofiya can’t make it, Aunt Bess. She hasn’t stopped crying since she heard the news.” should be the charisma choice, but it says the effect is “set intrigue %+ 50” (which is the same as the informant choice)

Also, there’s that part where the choice is an out of character one - it says the ghost acts in a way the mage never did. For example, if selected “cruel”, then it says they never acted like the ghost does. But I see in the code that selecting cruel still lowers the “noble” stat. Shouldn’t it raise it though, considering it’s meant to be the opposite of what the mage is? - it’s the same for all three choices, btw, so it’s not like it was a mistake, but more like I’m wondering about the design of that entire choice.

1 Like

Meanwhile, Kote is unimpressed by both the object and the choice of location that they put it in. :joy: Probably would be making a face like this:

Kind of figured that would be the case; don’t really know who it is that’s reviving MC but it likely is someone that may not intend to give them peace, seeing as the person is waking MC from their deep sleep.

Part of me thinks it might be the same person who freed Sister from her collar (assuming the same person is th one she calls her mentor or is someone linked to that person in a way); feel like that woman is up to something, and it involves the powers MC is in possession with.

Doubt Kote will trust whoever it is that wakes him up; the situation sounds real suspicious and he’s not going to be waking up in a trusting mood after what happened to him the last time he put his faith in someone. So unless Eli happens to be nearby, he’s going to be really leery toward his revivor.

Never mind the White Fang members, the public probably would have been far from keen toward the tavern if it keep that old name after the truth got out. :sweat_smile:

Feel like Leon might not understand for a moment why MC would go that far with a statue that was made in MC’s honor after the truth came out. May have not even fully thought through how maybe putting up the statue in the very place MC was killed can kinda feel like not the best choice location, even if it is at the heart of his kingdom (then again, maybe he and many others saw the placing the statue there as the closest they can get to giving MC a sort of grave).

I’d say my MC is a bit more on the subtle side in a way (yes, he’d destroy the statute, but he’d not make much of a show of it in front of others and would not risk people getting caught in the crossfire). But then again, possible raw emotions don’t always lead to subtle actions.

Possibly. :smirk:

Though let’s be honest, the mere act of MC being reborn once more will spread chaos all on its own (though what kind of chaos and to what people is something we have yet to see).

Yeah, it’s almost like a unspoken universal truth that doesn’t need to be repeated (generally speaking of course; there may be a few readers that aren’t as fond of Saine for one reason or another). :joy:

There’s a lot about Saine I like, but the most major thing that cements that fondness for me is similar to what makes me fond of Illya: how he never lost faith in MC even while both the kingdom and his brother were demanding their blood and was willing to risk major trouble on himself if it meant he and Illya could help MC escape. Part of me is sad that he wasn’t physically there for MC to say goodbye to personally, but another part of me likes to imagine that one of the first few words MC says to people like Illya and Saine are “thank you for believing in me”.

Well, the two brothers certainly weren’t on the same page with each other in regards to MC. And it was mentioned that while Leon may have attempted to reach out to both Illya and Saine in some way after the execution, neither one really wanted anything to do with him after that event (though it was also mentioned that Leon was so focused on taking up Julius’ mentality of " Kingdom always comes first", that he was actually willing to sacrifice his connections for his kingdom in general).

The three in general probably do occasionally work with one another a professional manner in some matters, but it likely stays strictly that (and may take some time for a more relaxed, causal atmosphere to return to the former White Fang members).

The first thing that came to my own mind seeing the name was the Norse goddess Hel.

The artwork of Eli caught my attention and I am curious about how things will play out in the reunion, but I do want to see more interactions with them before I fully make up my own thoughts on them (I like them well enough from the few moments with them, but I gotta see more first).

But considering what Leon did to MC, I’m not sure Eli can make a worse impression than the prince-turned-mercenary-turned-king did in MC’s last moments.

By remember said face was the one that ordered the public execution, possibly called MC a demon to their face, and couldn’t put his money where his mouth was when it came to trusting MC over Ante. :laughing:

Seems very punchable to Kote.

I find it kinda funny that Saine, Leon’s own brother, doesn’t even approve of a romance with Leon. :joy:

There’s not much for me to say except that I enjoyed the short game immensely. I love getting a moment to craft out how Leon probably saw Kote himself in that scenario and it ended up feeling rather tragic to watch unfold. Because in my play through, I could see Leon mostly remembering Kote’s kindness and only a bit of that harsh coldness occasionally showing up. So it makes me imagine that Leon is not going to be as fully prepared for just how betrayed and angry his old friend is going to be or how that same friend who would jump through fire to help him and the kingdom may now likely respond with “Not my problem, you are on your own now” if Leon were to ask for his aid once more in whatever is going to go down.

May even take up the moniker of Demon of Sienan.

9 Likes

Eeeh, I kind of hope (after reading that tumblr answer) that it won’t come to a talk between MC and Saine about that… :thinking:
My MC cares about Saine dearly, buuut he’s so fiercely protective of Leon that I think he’d get genuinely upset or even mad if anyone told him that. Even Saine.
Weirdly enough, I think all the things that happened would actually reinforce that reaction? Before his death, he wouldn’t really take seriously a person who’d say that, or well, he’d ignore the comment. Maybe he’d tell the person that they shouldn’t judge, and that’s it.
But after everything that happened… he’s basically very paranoid about people blaming Leon - including Leon himself. Some of the last choices of the base game so far can lean towards that protectiveness, and Sunblind definitely does so, with some of the choices.
So yeah, post-resurrection, he’ll probably be more hostile, or at least more passionate, about that topic.

4 Likes

I did this after a couple fails.

You’re unpredictably predictable in your gameplays.

You make it sound like MC is a Sleeping Beauty and not a burnt out hero.

What you said is all to satiate their guilt.

Lol what I mean is the REAL chaos. MC goin’ bad.

They are heartless, how can anyone don’t like that cinnamon bun?

Yup, Illya, Saine and Aunt Bess are the only people that cares 'bout MC no matter what happens imo.

7 Likes

Lol so true, Eli can’t make anything worse than Leon did.
Leon literally burned MC alive, Eli in the past died saving MC, so in my POV Eli is so far way better than Leon, but we still need a proper real interaction with the character.

Lol sounds like you hold a real grudge for Leon listening to Ante instead of trusting MC?!?

At least Saine loves MC and Illya’ relationship.

Sounds weird for some reason.

but if it’s after burning MC alive or resurrection, Saine likes MC and he’s very angry with Leon.
From my POV Saine wouldn’t like MC suffering any more than they already did.

6 Likes

Well, I was talking about my MC eh, not me!
While I DO love Leon, I totally understand Saine’s POV here! My MC though… he couldn’t really be objective about that, so he’d just be hurt and frustrated. It’s a bit hard to act rational in a situation like that one, one way or another.

2 Likes

Ooh yeah lol when I play Leon route, my MC wants to both kiss and kill Leon for not trusting and burning her alive. :smiley_cat::kissing_cat::smile_cat: So,I understand what you’re saying.

4 Likes

Hey @Parivir, are you gonna flesh out alchemy more in the game itself? I chose it because Alchemy is the magic of creation, and, is therefore usually very powerful, versatile, or both. And to be honest I was somewhat disappointed by its showing in the prologue, though, don’t take my work for much as I’ve hardly written anything more than essays.

Thanks for both of these catches! The game should now reflect these changes.

Can confirm this! Will be touched on in-game, probably somewhere in his romance route.

I’m not sure if I’ve uploaded this in the current build or if it’s still in my CSIDE, but the dungeon scene will feature the option to thank Ilya for believing in the mage, and to pass it on to Saine as well! If I can remember to write it in, it’ll be featured and/or referenced in the reunion scene as well.

(More possible than you might think.)

Your MC will probably break the noble bar :sob: Leon doesn’t deserve he

Sorry to hear that! Alchemy will definitely have more spots to shine in upcoming arcs, but generally speaking what you see now is what you get for the remainder of the game.

The game does acknowledge both Alchemy’s versatility (it has a lot more individual spells coded into the game than thaum, for example, at 11 Alchemy spells vs. 7 Thaum spells), as well as its limitations (i.e. the need for advance preparation, etc.) If that’s not your vibe, I recommend trying a different school instead!

9 Likes

Thanks Man! I was just saying that alchemy felt like the least versatile, thanks for replying though. Still sticking to muh alchemeh. Gonna turn lead to gold or somthin I dunno

Turn gold into lead and make a gun - Alchemy can be OP with enough imagination :joy: though you’ll probably still need Thaum.

I’m rolling with these builds:
Enchantment-Thaum
Alchemy-Spiritism
and I’ll try the Thaum-Alchemy for the 3rd MC

1 Like

(I should probably add that there is one more magic customization point coming up sometime in the future…code-divers will probably have realized that Satiel/Airas/Gweila/Nyx are suspiciously referred to as phant1 in the code, which implies the existence of–)

10 Likes

You’re welcome! Now that I’ve started code-diving, I may fully express all of my perfectionism and snoop for errors I didn’t see in game :rofl:
But yeah, I was wondering why my MC was described as “vigilant” in the game, and why that didn’t change. Not a bad thing, but a bit confusing! The Intrigue thing explains it.

That’s cool!

I like that idea, but will it be possible to do that and STILL select the other choices? Like, basically to be able to select two things to say during the choice that will include that. Or well, will it be a brand new choice where the MC wonders if he wants to add anything and you can thank them or say nothing?
I’m asking because for a MC like mine, it would make sense to thank them, but all other things he said during that part make total sense too, so I wouldn’t want to “replace them”
Thouuuugh…
To be honest, he’d be just as likely to ask Ilya for her and Saine to not be angry with Leon :sweat_smile:
So I guess it’s a suggestion for if you want to add more things to say than the possibility to thank them :rofl:
But it’s not a big thing if you don’t put that in the game - it’s already cool that you’re adding the possibility to thank them!

Eeeeh… I’m not exactly proving you wrong with my previous point :sweat_smile:
I mean, Noble is his highest stat, yeah. He’s almost breaking it at this point, so it’s a fair assumption to say he’d finish breaking it post-resurrection.

Alchemy is extremely cool, actually!
I was a bit salty after code-diving because it’s the only one that can’t be used in the encampment, but it’s specifically for that ONE part, and because all the others can offer you a way out. You’d think you could throw potions that explode into sleeping gas or whatever with alchemy, but you can’t in this case.
But really, other than that one scene, I love that school.

And I want to specify that no, you absolutely don’t need Thaum to be OP with Alchemy!
I have an Alchemy primary, Enchantment secondary built, and it’s really good!

Yeah, I have noticed that! So very curious… and terrified :rofl:

1 Like