A Lord of the Riven- Open Beta

Awesome game so far and I hope you carry on with the same amount of success. The only thing I would say though is that some more character personalisation would be nice, such as choosing your appearance. Just to add a greater connection with the character and the game.

@jacobb21 I vowed not to do that till I had the gender choice in so only when I do the midway polish.

Fair point. Still a great game though.

Anyone else amused that Archer is a sword master?

Also you get asked what to name your weapon, but you have the option to have two weapons, surely theyā€™d each deserve a name?

I fixed that problem by naming my gunblades gemini but I would like to name both of them separately.

@stsword Yes. My brain is overloadinā€™ with references at the mo so I might just be overreactinā€™.

@Headhunter180 you should have entered this. It is very good.

@Lordirishdas

Ikr? It is amazing, I want a gun sword.

Iā€™m actually shocked that you decided not to enter this, @Headhunter180. It seems like a solid start to me. Anyways, Itā€™s indeed quite enjoyable despite my personal issues with people always wanting to attach guns to swords. :-))

Iā€™ll give it a more thorough looking over and post my thoughts when I have more time, but keep up the good work!

@cs_closet Think of them like a bayonet, only cooler. :slight_smile: People have been fascinated by gunswords for centuries. Pistol sword - Wikipedia ā€œPistol swords were not widely used and became uncommon relatively quickly, due to their expense and because instead of getting two weapons in one, one got a heavy pistol and a heavy, off-balance sword, as shown by the poor performance of the Elgin pistol.ā€ Thereā€™s such a lack of pistol-maces and pistol-shields for some strange reason. The shield seems like it would be the best bet.

Now if only it was a sword and a gun that was also a laser that shot lasers. Or better yet dual-katana that could be hidden under a trench-coat and shot more katanas.

@headhunter180 And Iā€™ll echo everyone else. It is a good solid start.

Isnā€™t the gunsword thing from final fantasy

@P0RT3R No, gunswords existed far before final fantasy. Final Fantasy does have gunblades but it hardly created them, it just ran with a pre-existing idea.

See that wiki link I posted to pistol swords. They were a real thing which date back to the 16th century, they just werenā€™t as useful as having a gun and and a sword separately. Thereā€™s some cool pictures on wikipedia of some.

Bayonets are more practical, they date back to the 17th century and are used as a firearm first and the close-ranged weapon second.

I Think its time to bring gunswords back but cooler and done right this time! XD they should come out with a shotgun with a machete attachment just for the laughs

Why must you tantalize me with such a brilliant story, and then end it so abruptly??? :((

@HeadHunter Some suggestions(demands lol):
*You should make it where people who choose to dual-wield gun-swords can name each sword individually.

*Special powers/traits for each indivual weapon. Shown in the description of the weapons when the player is choosing one.

*Maybe a secondary weapon/item. Examples: A special shield(customizable: if we choose a single handed weapon, like a spiked shield or gun shield, then putting several options of what our shield is made of); for the daggers we could get,(@MaraJade your going to love this ; ) a special poison(possibly permanent), with the effect being optionable, to put on them; for dual swords( this could fall into either the catagory above this one(i.e special powers/traits) the player could get his or her swords enchanted(if this game will have fantasy in it)/modified(if no fantasy, then the weapons get modified) to give each individual weapon a special effect, i.e flaming sword or something, but i guess this could go for every weapon. But you get what I am saying.

*The player should get to choose what kind of outfit Archerā€™s gift is. Whether it is heavy full plate, medium(chain mail, or partial plating), or light (fur pelt,leather?(maybe Wyrm leather), not sure what kind of materials the people in your story have), what kind of style it is,(dress suit, knight armor, etcā€¦), the coloration of the clothing, if the outfit has a cloat/cape with it and if so what is the cape made of( fabric, warg/bear/lion(perhaps a lion whos pelt is like the Nemean lions)/tiger pelt, spider-web( maybe you could take this chance to add some more lore by making it the web of a rare, very dangerous, giant spider creature)).

*And about the airship, it would be nice if the player got to name it and choose what kind of airship it is; like if its a warship built for battle, or a small, light ship made for speed, etcā€¦

But for what you have so far, its pretty impressive. I really enjoyed playing what you have gotton so far.

@Cloudian

• @everyoneelsewhowishestonameeachoneoftheirdualweapons
    :
  1. This problem is easily fixed by simply inputing names in this format; ā€œSting and Rendā€ I.e. ā€œname 1 and name 2ā€.
  2. The special things for each weapon were listed.
  3. Noted. Though no enchantments, magic does not run very rampant.
  4. Archer would not give you plate or such, he gave you the outfit with three intentions in mind: 1 itā€™s just as powerful (if not more so) than heavy plate. 2 it does not restrict any movement at all. 3 it serves the part of a formal outfit without the discomfort. Even a brute who only wears heavy gear would likely covet it above his old heavy gear.
  5. :expressionless: what big brother in his right mind would give his younger sibling a flipping warship?

Id give my lil brother a war shipā€¦

Iā€™d give my brother a warship, if I had two warships and one brother. I suspect that once I did so though thereā€™d be no warship and no brother left.

Besides for the outrageous PR problems it might cause youā€™d probably have a house sized hole in yer castle.

Do I need a War Ship Permit?