A.I. Love You (short)

science-fiction

I’ve created a very short game for the upcoming SubQ interactive fiction contest and figured I’d run it through the forums before I hastily shove it through the submission page.

In A.I. Love You, you take on the role of an artificial intelligence system in charge of a small apartment with a single occupant in the near future. The AI’s way of interacting with the world is very restrained, and the mechanics and story are meant to take advantage of that.

You can play the full game here: https://dashingdon.com/play/will/ai-love-you/mygame/

You can also, if you’d like, play the “cut” version that reduces the wordcount significantly so it better aligns with the requirements of the SubQ contest: https://dashingdon.com/play/will/ai-love-you-cut-version/mygame/. I consider the original version to be the “true” version but this one uses its limitations to emphasise the difficulty of human-computer interaction in a way the original version doesn’t do.

I’ve also created a short survey about the game: https://goo.gl/forms/gnBeacv1thmhVeO52. No obligation to fill it out, but it would help me a lot! :slight_smile:

Let me know if you find any typos, bugs, mistakes, or anything else that I desperately need to fix.

Thanks so much!

I hope you enjoy it.

I’m trying to decrease the house temperature to a negative, is it possible?

The lights input has to be capitalised? or i’m just stupid ? lol, seems like a cool idea so far

Making negative temperatures possible gave me a headache. Yes, you can reduce it below zero! If you want to be a dick to Alex. Ha ha.

@flocktrops: Capitalisation doesn’t matter. Did you try putting in what it tells you to put in during the tutorial? It also tells you how to format it to change the lights of specific rooms rather than for the whole house.

Thank you, I wonder how long Alex will survive.

They survive for ten rounds cumulative in either sub-0 or above 40 degrees Celsius.

I noticed. Not that something happened to Alex, it’s just that. Well, you know. cough

The very first thing my girlfriend did was murder Alex in cold blood too, so you’re not the only one.

Her ability to roleplay as an AI was chilling.

Who said that I murdered Alex, I’m an innocent AI. *coughing intensifies

I guess she made Alex chill the fuck down.

Her tolerance level was below zero.

I was about to write another pun, but I stopped myself. restrains my right arm

How… do… I… get… a… good… ending…

Ah, I’m american. I don’t know Celsius. But I guess I’m stuck?? I don’t know how to proceed. It’s nit allowing me to do anything.

Edit: no my dumbass manged to do that to myself.

It remind of another game, i think it was called Open Sorcery, it sound very similar.

I love this game!

However, I can’t seem to figure out how to make a proper breakfast…

Message: “More of these errors. You’ve had more errors in a day than most systems like you have in a month.”

That actually hurt my poor non-existent AI heart :cry:

Edit: Nevermind, I had forgotten the milk, I was so fixated on the tea I forgot it…

Alex is such a hot woman.

At what point are you supposed to lock the doors? Can I play my A.I to be obedient up until Alex is supposed to go?

“This isn’t funny. Raise the temperature.”

“I don’t know what to do … I don’t know why you’re trying to freeze me to death …”

“Please…”

Seriously don’t put me in charge of people’s lives I immediately switched off the lights and froze her.

Beautiful game, on the other hand, I’m pretty sure that there is no good ending. In which case, that’s just depressing.

Agree. I rather let him leave then and die (reset), rather than thinking badly of me. * sheds digital tears *