A Drop of Night (WiP) (Demo Uploaded 04/11/2017)

That’s the thing. It doesn’t. The choice you make is not about the outcome of the fight but about how you approach opposition. You can parlay. You can be passive but pissed. You can retaliate in four different ways. All of these choices are actually meaningful in several ways. You’re just not seeing them yet.

10 Likes

You can choose how to deal with the situation, you can choose how to react, how to retaliate, but the outcome still the same. She put her leverage on you and you will have to help her. In the end, there is no difference.

1 Like

How you lose is just as important as if you lose.

8 Likes

I shall point you to this:

You said that if you are going to lose either way, then why have a fight at all. To me it sounds like you don’t want it there, no?

So, let me get this straight:

You wake up in the middle of your own autopsy, with literally no recollection of who you are, or that you even have powers, therefore without any knowledge of how to use said powers, and then you’re pitted against an enemy that A) Is well rested; B) Has had every single possible theory of how her own powers work and how to use them in combat forcefully drilled into her mind; C) Is on what could be considered her territory; and D) Exceeds your own power level at that specific point in time, and you expect to win?

So, should I not have that fight there, which by all accounts was well written and compelling, simply because you can’t see the point of it in what isn’t even the first chapter of the game?

Says who? Just because the point isn’t immediately clear, or because you can’t see it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Literally everything I put in that prologue has a point, even whether or not Casey buys a comic book.

At what point in this discussion did he say you couldn’t criticize? You said there isn’t a point, a reason, for that fight, and he said that there is, and then explained what it is.

Of course you can criticize it, that’s the whole point of me posting this first part of the demo here in the first place, to receive feedback from the community. I simply chose not to follow what you said, because I disagree with it, and I do not see the point in removing the fight.

And to complete my point, I’ll quote @LordOfLA on this:

You can choose how the fight plays out, and, whether you believe it or not, that “insignificant” bit of information of what you chose is paramount to me. It doesn’t matter if you lost, @Urban, what’s important in that fight is how you lost.

Then you might want to learn to pick your fights better, because I really don’t believe that the loss came as a surprise after she stabbed you multiple times and embedded glass shards that she retained control of in your chest.

It’s not the same outcome. Yes, you lose either way, but that’s not the reason for it being there. Just because you can’t see the point doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

@AAO has become one of my closest friends in a very short time, but this is my game. Do not attack him for disagreeing with you, for he knows more of what’s going to happen and of what goes on inside my head than you do.

Spire is one of my beta testers; they know more about the story than you do. And I’ll say it again, just because you can’t see the point yet doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

Says who? Yeah, she has leverage on you, but since when does that mean you have to help her? This kickstarts the story, it’s not mandatory to go through with it.

And I’m damn glad you enjoyed it.

24 Likes

I’m curious if Emily was born a mute or not. But I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of the characters later. I know there’s only one chapter out right now but jeez it’s so good.

1 Like

No, because I like the writing of the fight, I just don’t like it having the same outcome as not fighting.

The problem to me is that fighting has only one outcome. You fight because you don’t want to help Rosslyn, but in the end you are forced to do it.
If I lost the fight, but singing happens and I’m not forced to help her then I would have succeed in what I wanted even if I lost the fight.

I said that, that is just my opinion. If fight lead to the same outcome then it didn’t change anything.

Please, I never said anything about removing the fight.
And you have the right not to change anything, where I demanded it to be changed?

As I said before, the problem is not that I lost, the problem is the fighting having only one outcome.

Where I attacked him or was even aggressive? You and him are getting defensively because of one critic.

1 Like

Ok Guys lets come down and drop this incident please.

1 Like

Tell that to the guy who keeps persisting in his argument even though over 5 people disagreed with him at this point.

10 Likes

Hey guys, I just got back from class. So umm… what did I miss?

4 Likes

Just a grunting episiode of dragonball z :smiley:

14 Likes

Did you read anything I said in my reply? You’ll lose the fight regardless of what choices you make in that section, but the outcomes are not the same. And I don’t mean that in the sense of flavor text. Just because you cannot immediately see the differences in the results doesn’t mean there aren’t.

But you’re not! I very clearly gave you the choice to refuse her deal. Do you really think that’s not going to have any impact? That it’s not an important choice? Well, it is, and how you got to that choice is just as important.

Yes, you lose the fight, but it’s not the same outcome. How you lost matters just as much as losing in itself.

Okay, so let’s say Germany lost WW2, but the terms by which it surrendered were different than the ones in our history books. It’s the same outcome, right? They still lost, after all.

Except it isn’t the same outcome. If the terms of their surrender were different, then the outcome was different. The same principle is applied here; the outcome is still different.

No, he and I–and five or six other people, if I’m not mistaken–are arguing that the fight isn’t unnecessary while you argue that it serves no purpose.

Here:

This is enough. You’ve given your feedback about the fight. I disagreed with it–like all those who replied to you–and chose not to act on it. Now let’s move on; I’ve had enough of this pointless discussion.

12 Likes

Yes, she was born a mute:

Glad you like it!

4 Likes

If you make it to release and maintain such strong writing, you’ll definitely have one of the premier games under the HG brand to date. I find it very much a “throw money at screen, why is nothing happening” prologue :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oops, I missed that part. My bad lol Zero and Rosslyn seems to be the most interesting characters so far

Moving on from that discussion, I have a request to ask of you fine readers:

Most of, it not all, the feedback/discussions have been directed towards the beginning of the prologue. Not saying I have a problem with that or anything, it’s just that I was expecting a bit more talk about the flashback scenes that happened after that.

Any thoughts and opinions on them would be appreciated.

4 Likes

They’re fine IMO. They’re not as impactful at the moment as they serve as passive world building without the MC and lack the follow on chapters to build on them. That’s kinda like asking what a multi-layer cake is like when we’ve only tried the base layer :slight_smile:

Edit: maybe passive world building isn’t right, they more context setting for the next chapter.

Personally I thought the flashback scenes were pretty neat, showing us some of the characters’ personalities. Will we expect more of these in the later chapters, specifically with that woman that is similar to the MC?

Just started another read-through and spotted this awkward phrasing:

“There we go,” the man continues. “Now let’s see how big is the wingspan.”

I can’t think of a particularly great re-phrase at the moment but something along the lines of “Now let’s see the width of the wingspan.”

You can still fill the shard near your heart, but your lungs seem to have healed

can still feel

2 Likes

How about “Now let’s see how big the wingspan is.”

No, big isn’t the word wanted there. They’re measuring width/length and length is referred to further down the page.