A Crack in the Spyglass [WIP] *Poll* 6.1.2020

acits_postcard

Hello all! This is a story/world I’ve been building for several years that lends itself so well to this format that I decided to make it a game instead of a novel. I’ve been dabbling in interactive fiction for years but was never very serious about it until now. This is a story I’ve wanted to tell for a long time, so I’m really glad I finally found a satisfying way to do it.

-PLOT-

• Something strange is happening in the land of Midgautt. The southern elves have opened their borders for the first time in nearly 1,000 years and refuse to say why. Rumors fly about a great rift opening in the sea near Taeggyra, swallowing all ships and creatures who come too close. And the festival—there is something strange going on with the festival.

• Play as two MCs: The Mercenary, a former adventurer now living in the human realm and working as an unsatisfied investigator; and The Painter, an apprentice to a potions master who yearns to leave the capital and see the world.

-ELEMENTS-

• Be male, female, or non-binary
  • Be straight, gay, bi, aromantic, or asexual
  • Romance nearly any named NPC in the game (meaning that they show up under “relationships” on the stat screen)
  • Wield magic as a gods-blessed illumaei, sorceress, blood mage, or valla elf; wield weapons as a human or an elven ranger, sentinel, or brigand
  • Negotiate, seduce, sneak, or battle your way through the many realms of Neprenia
  • Journey alone or with unique mortal, animal, and mechanical companions
  • Use magic to create constructs, summon monsters, curse enemies, and more
  • Win a tournament of Pendire: The Card Game of Thieves

-DEMO-
You can now play the first two chapters, which have a word count of 64,000.

Play the demo: https://dashingdon.com/go/4030

Tumblr, updated ever 1-2 days: https://ignifexgames.tumblr.com/

-MY GOAL-
I want to update this every 2-4 weeks, as soon as a new chapter is finished. There are going to be 13 total and a word count around 500,000 when it’s finished. Then, with any luck, I’ll get to work on Book Two!

Maps

Changelog

5/15/2019: Journal element added, more customization of stat screen, tweaks & grammar fixes

5/5/2019: Chapter 2 added, along with the following changes:

• Stat change notifications (turned off by default, can be turned on in stat screen)
  • Customize stat screen appearance
  • Save system implemented
  • ‘Dreamer’ stat renamed to ‘optimist’
  • ‘Mana’ stat for mages renamed to ‘vitality’ and applied to all classes
  • Felix dialogue overhaul (chapter 1)
  • Prisoner description overhaul (chapter 1)
  • Better inn prices (chapter 1)
  • Clearer weapon classes for humans and elves

4/9/2019: Fixed bug when playing Pendire with Nacragi deck, changed class/race selection, removed sexuality spectrum

268 Likes

I haven’t start to read yet, but out of curiosity … could there be option to negotiate / parley / reasoning instead of “seduce” ? Because i feel reasoning and negotiation are a different non-violence method other than seduction :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oops, you’re right. I didn’t mean to leave that out of the description. Fixed!

3 Likes

I just finished the demo and I think you have something really special here! :slight_smile: Your writing is lush and focused, and it’s clear you’re very comfortable with the fascinating world you’ve created, because you present it and its foreign terms to the reader with the seasoned hand and confidence of someone who knows this place frontwards and backwards. I can’t wait to find out more about the illumaei and the other races/classes/magics of this world (and how they differentiate between each other), as well as where the hell my noble protector is! If I’m right in thinking that everyone along the path you can look at is a companion character, that’s an impressive amount of branching you’ll be doing! I can’t wait to see more!

I also think there are certain features in the game that speak of such thoughtfulness and care. That map is very impressive, and I’m loving the stats, chapter headings, even Pendire and the currency of the game. It all comes together to create a rich, detailed culture and landscape as well as a very thoughtfully-created game, made with love and attentiveness.

My only question so far (besides the burning ones of the plot): I’m curious as to the purpose of the sexuality bar in the stats? I haven’t seen anything like it before, and while I think it’s a cool idea, I’m not sure of the purpose it will serve in the game or why keeping track of it would matter. I also worry that it might risk mislabeling or upsetting people if you’re not very careful. I know it’s something you have the option to hide, but that’s just my two cents!

Also, when I was interacting with the merchant, I think his starting dialogue looked around again after I bought a health elixir from him:

Summary

Other than that, I’m riveted: :slight_smile: Keep up the amazing work!

14 Likes

can we romance the old lady? asking for a friend.

8 Likes

I’m confused…

can you clear up the race we can play ? cose they are jumbled in with the class…

You know what, I didn’t even realize I was saying race instead of class. That’s maybe the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to me and I’ll fix it immediately. Thanks for pointing this out!

2 Likes

This is interesting. Can’t wait for update!
Suggestions:

1. Can u add more magic types?
  2. Add a customization page for MC
4 Likes

When I tried to play Pendire, it let me draw, but when I actually tried to use a mage card, I got an error. I was using the blood mage deck, if that helps you narrow it down!

1 Like

Thanks for saying such kind things :slight_smile: As for the sexuality bar, it’s something I was experimenting with and now that I’ve thought about it, will probably be taken out. I don’t want to offend anyone and the purpose it served in my head doesn’t even make sense now that I stop to think about it. Thanks for the feedback!

5 Likes

500k word count fr? Thats gonna amazing and beat tin star record

Also do you have discord for this ?

If we’re a self were is our laelap?(is correct?)

500k is a massive word count, but there are several games that are significantly longer, and Tin Star is double the length.

5 Likes

Yea but like they said this is only book one and have another book which is going to add up

Oops, a line there was indented. Fixing, thanks for pointing this out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want to spoil anything, but there’s a reason your laelap isn’t with you if you’re an elf.

2 Likes

I don’t know enough to run a Discord server, but I did just make a Tumblr account for the game :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice but i dont used Tumblr but the basics of discord is easy and you can interact with ppl who follow your threads easier

1 Like

Um, this was so cool?? I really like your writing style, and the world you’ve built is so interesting. Like someone else said, you can tell you’re comfortable with it. Me and my elf are ready to romance every single possible NPC and then some more lol

3 Likes