神龍之土 Land of the Dragon [WIP] (09/07/20 Update! The Uprising Appears!)

@sljzz hmm… I wanna keep the structure to 4->2 choices for this scene, so maybe I’ll change the content itself instead. Thanks for the suggestion! Well, I’m not sure how much I should say bc the extent Long Qing can go might be spoilery… But let’s just say he’s the kind of person who’d rather see someone - anyone - dead than leave them as a potential threat. Of course, with both your statuses he can’t just straight up challenge u to a duel to the death, but… He has his supporters and certain… Events would facilitate that. However due to plot direction he’s not going to get enough time w MC in close proximity to do so.

@Frogs yeah, I might have to change that to no stat boost maybe. For now focusing on two stats is better, but by end of the game you can potentially raise 3(?) honestly I’m terrible at math and this extends to coding so uhHH thanks for the stat counting guys

Also woah the r/s stats for the major characters seem to be soaring too high oh noes uh I may have to lower the starting boost sorry guys :joy: since I was planning to have 80 be the cut off threshold for diff confession scenes etc. 80 and below normal end for that RO, above 80 true end etc.

1 Like

I beat him in the trials, so I say bring it, but instead of killing him, I’m gonna beat his sorry ass and then seat it on the throne while I go off to join the army or on my warrior’s pilgrimage (Wikipedia tells me the closest Chinese term would be becoming a Youxia Youxia - Wikipedia , but I’m not well versed in Chinese culture so I can’t verify it).

1 Like

HAHAHA this is amazing tbh, although maybe it’s not a good fit for Long Qing and this game (plot direction sadly wouldn’t allow MC to ride off into the sunset with their gleaming sword and trusty horse, and Long Qing would definitely hold even more of a grudge at what he perceives as you undermining him lol) but oh this is precious.

Now I wanna write a comedic short about a more intelligence-slanted scheming elder brother w
a not-so-hidden superiority-inferiority complex who’s constantly suspicious that his competitive, warrior-type younger brother is aiming for the throne, and the tragicomedic misunderstandings that arise between them… Until finally things play out like u suggested and the elder brother realized he never meant to hurt him and is just like??? bRo come back I forgive u and will give u 1818299 fiefdoms but the younger brother, true to your character, just waves coolly and rides off into the aforementioned sunset. And then the elder brother starts sending assassins (retainers) after him.

Between this and a sudden brewing desire to write historical fiction in other settings (say ancient rome… Or a Greek mythological one w the gods as main characters… Or ancient japan!!) shh I must not get tempted to be distracted… Shh…

Yes, 游侠would be right. Well if it’s any consolation the magical community arc will be a homage to the wuxia (or more accurately xianxia) genre, during which some youxias will definitely be featured.

6 Likes

I would love to read that.

Since we won’t be able to become youxia ourselves, will we be able to go on a single quest with one (or challenge them to a duel to see who’s stronger)?

1 Like

Well, this isn’t really a huge spoiler but just in case: in the magical community arc there will be a magical tournament in which you will be able to fight yourself if u have high enough magic or combat stat, or fight w a proxy, turn things around w persuasion etc (dw I’ll make sure there’s at least one option avaliable for each stat lol). so yes.

Wellll, now that I’ve heard the idea, I may consider MC becoming a youxia as an ending w high magic/support from magic community. Oh noes the list is ever-elongating…

2 Likes

Just pace yourself. It is nice and all that you try to please everyone but I hope you will not burn yourself out too much.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this update, especially the scenes with Lady Fang and Sweet Brother Dearest because I’m trash haha /shifty eyes.

However…hmm…I wish that there were more options as responses? Like even if not responses to Long Qing himself, I think it would’ve been nice if we could at least have some introspection or something along those lines about how we might or might not feel about the interactions as opposed to just a base reaction, if I make any sense?

4 Likes

MC wins the tournament, wanting to share this moment with his Brother, comes to boast “Hey Bro, I am the champion, ain’t I great?!”. Brother, already sensing a threat and thinking “Is he saying he is so great that he should become an emperor?”, can’t sleep at nights, while MC goes to party with his friends and drink from the trophy cup.

3 Likes

Long Qing seems much weaker than I expected. I mean like he was in the army since he was young and he should be a powerful warrior by now but my MC who is only like 18 and only practiced some archery still beat him in the trial.
By the way what does being a priest do in your world? Are the gods real and give you actual powers like healing and holy powers or it’s just belief with no actual benefits?

4 Likes

I didn’t know that there’s an actual competition between you and him. XD I always choose magic and wit. Better try it out later.

3 Likes

@resuri08 haha, it’s alright. I love endings and would write like a 100 of them (hmm I should rly count the ones I’ve alr had in mind so far soon) without prompting and anyways, we’re still a far ways off from them. And I’ve actually been slowing down on writing bc of irl stuff lol.

@Infel hmm… There’ll certainly be some introspective choices/moments in chapter 3,but that’s a ways off… What kinda choices would yall like to be added currently to the demo?

@Frogs honestly I just needed someone to fight MC for the combat Trial (although now that I think about it I couldve written the sword summoning a holographic spirit warrior for MC to fight man wow that sounds cool if only to me lol). But now that I’ve written it I’m p happy w the dynamic between MC and Long Qing the scene explores (particularly if u lose to him)… For logic’s sake tho you can think of this as one of those early-episode anime battles(?) where everyone is still holding back etc. In-game priests and priestesses worship the gods nd get political sometimes. Whether the gods are real will never be confirmed, although some temples have developed original spells nd credited them to the gods… Kinda like in ASOIAF where some people believe and others don’t, theres magic, but no one knows for sure if there’s a link between them. An in-game debate would probably go like this: believers positing that the growing strength of Temples (hence allowing them to become a political faction, although this is a slower and longer growth than magic) made the gods bless the world w magic, while sceptics argue that the Temples have been around for ages and magic is sprouting all over the world even in lands w pagan religions.

2 Likes

So my MC is trying to figure out whether or not she’s going to make a serious effort towards the throne, and realized there’s an important question I forgot to ask. How decent of a ruler would our brother be? He’s proven himself in the military field, but we have no indication of how well he is as a governor and politician. From your earlier descriptions one could glean that he is open to good advice and fair to his own people, but there are signs that he is, as you say, a ‘suspicious little shit’ and has a ruthless streak.

If he can actually do a better job than the MC, then he is welcome to have the throne. Have fun being penned up in the palace, rising at five am everyday to face a hoard of politicians and issues; my MC is going to bugger off through a portal and go on indefinite vacation.

4 Likes

I wonder though, does he even want to be a ruler?
From what he said he didn’t seem really fond of the palace and its rules and that’s why he left to the army at such a young age.

4 Likes

Not sure whether or not he enjoys it, but he’s certainly trying to make it happen.

3 Likes

@sljzz @Frogs Well, the Crown Prince has… some issues to say the least. Like you - and perhaps even more so bc everyone in the realm expects him to be the future Emperor - he was raised to want to be Emperor, but the overwhelming pressure and the knowledge of what his supporters are willing to do to succeed etc has given him severe doubts about whether he really even wants to.

But the people around him aren’t giving him a choice - and he’s been taught that if he doesn’t ruthlessly fight for what is his birthright, he will get eliminated by MC in a succession fight and that accepting his position while making sure MC knows their own is the only way for them both to be safe. And on the other hand he has enjoyed the taste of power he enjoyed in the army as General and as a young Prince, so…

As for his capabilities, he’s certainly been well trained and would be well advised as Emperor hypothetically. But as mentioned with his issues and suspicious tendencies, I see him potentially going down the path of Mad King without someone (cough MC or any other major character) by his side who cares for him as more than just the Emperor in the long run. Particularly bc he’s been the most exposed to authoritarian rule, he would certainly incorporate that into his policies and increase the army’s role in the capitol too. HYPOTHETICALLY, lol. Let’s just say that probably won’t be an ending we get to see…

Speaking of endings, I wrote some outlines to count their number and uh currently I’m at 50+ and not even at the good ones yet. Of course some are achievement endings and not actual last page kinda endings, and most are stackable(?), but oh noes hahahha. Also writing outlines for all the bad endings is kinda depressing… I can’t with tragedy y’all, I only love angst w happy endings :’) I gotta go write some cute flustery MC Fang Yun moments now to recover lol

7 Likes

To be fair, the trial against him isn’t exactly a fight, the two characters just lock blades and push in a raw contest of strength. It is possible the MC to be naturally stronger, doesn’t mean that they’d win in an all-out battle where technique is involved (at least, not at this point of the story).

2 Likes

So… The crown prince has the potential to be the Mad King?

3 Likes

And another spoiler bites the hook.:fish: Seriously, we’re going to guess the entire plot if this keeps up.

Pretending I didn’t see that: he is competent, but if his suspicious-ness isn’t getting better, when he takes the throne he’s going to start seeing conspiracies everywhere. Not a great trait for a ruler.
Guess my MC is entering the arena after all…

Can I interpret that as he himself has lines he won’t cross?

Here’s to hoping that if he loses, there isn’t going to be a last ditch effort / military takeover with lots of bloodshed and collateral damage.

On the bright? side, as the author you can rewind time and unmake those endings in-universe. So temporary tragedy, but happy ending overall?

On an (another) unrelated tangent. So far we’ve met the cat (who might not actually be a cat) and a tiger (potentially relevant to the plot later), and magic and self-taught mages aplenty; do 妖修 exist in this universe?

2 Likes

You oh great author will you give us the option to spread the information of him not been the son of the emperor?

2 Likes

I think he’d be stronger too though, I mean my MC was a 18 years old girl who only practiced a bit of archery so there’s no way she could overpower him (he’s a man, he’s older than you and he probably got strong muscles after years in the army)
And also I picked the skill option so the fight was all about technique and agility and not strength, yet I could still beat him when he had years of experience.
So pretty much the only way you’d beat him is if he holds back a lot.

2 Likes