2117: Highway Wars (Submitted, closed)

Some errors I noticed:

-Buying the machine gun doesn’t actually deduct 900 dollars
-After negotiations with Maria when you return to the ATC the navigator will have shot the gunner even if you don’t have one.
-following the slavers to Aidan you get a bunch of percent signs for the fuel count

Thanks for those! I found the bugs and corrected those sequences, they’ll be updated tomorrow, together with the Battle with the Free Cities (finished writing it but not uploaded yet)

If possible I think there should be a diplomatic option with the free cities in the finale that doesn’t involve riding off into the sunset. Especially if you have AIDAN I think they would consider their chances of defeating a robot supported army to be pretty slim and why would they as long as the MC seem benevolent? Having AIDAN give the background on the “Free Cities”/UN symbol might help as well.

I’m not sure if there’s some choice that changes this but I noticed after doing the quickstart that lets you start just before going to Burgos to defend it that all of the options to talk to Teresa have bits of code in their text like “if talked to teresa = 1” and beyond that I died when I inevitably had to fight her, so I don’t think you gave the character enough close combat stat to survive that section.

This is kind of a small thing but it’d be cool if you had an option not to outright kill the second gunner when they betray you while sneaking into Maria’s camp. After all you do start with the advantage in that fight. You could just leave them there, unconscious so you don’t have to deal with keeping track of their status in the code, but it’d be nice to have the option.

Just added the sequence to fight the Free Cities, and ultimate victory over the entire peninsula. Also, health is now shown as a description (do you think this is better?)

@cascat07, corrected all the bugs you indicated yesterday. The option you mention about the Free Cities is already coded and in the game, but I added a bit of flavour text (dialogue between AIDAN and counsellors)

@Shoelip thank, I corrected the bugs in the text, and increased the fighting ability of the pre-made characters. Also, you now have the option just to knockout the gunner.

To do list (parts of the story to be done)
-In between conquering minor events
-Recruitment of mercs, “traitors” abandoning sequence
-Recruitment of some militia survivors if Burgos was destroyed
-Terraforming Earth ending
-AIDAN repair sequences

Minor issues
-Renumber all endings
-Implement oil gauge

And a new update. The sequence at the base now has AIDAN requesting the MC to help repair some processors, and a new terraforming ending has been added

So, with that:

Minor issues
-Renumber all endings
-Implement oil gauge

Anything else that I am forgetting?

question; would it be possible to include stat editing for links and jumping since some of the choices that I’m attempting to access are locked due to having “low” stats at the point in the game and redoing the entire story is tedious… :shrimp:

or would that be too tedious to do?

The terraforming path seems to lead to the conquest path for some reason.

@LightningGarfunkel, I now added a simple option to “create” a character (well, the most important stats only, plus the preselected names), and then jump at each of the four “final paths” (well, I think there are more combinations, but anyway).

@cascat07, the terraforming path sort of leads to a mini-conquering sequence, where you just have to take over one region . Does this make sense, or is it an illogical sequence of events? (or, is there a bug that I cannot see?)

Ah thanks for that,

Also I’m loving the picture in the opening post :smiley:

Right now it seems to lead to just the full conquering path. I selected terraforming and ended up high councilor.

Ugh ridiculously late with replying to this one, but is there also an option for the cool outfit to go with the gas guzzler? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@cascat07 I think I found a bug (I think it should work now, but didn’t have the chance to test it as I have to rush to leave the house in 10-15 to go to work).

@idonotlikeusernames which outfit do you want exactly? If you let me know I’ll add it on (there are quite a few there already, but any suggestions are welcome!)

The one from the very first Mad Max, the one @Jacic displayed there all those months ago.
This one:

Not the one-sleeved one that became the cult-classic but the nice, clean black leather one from the very first movie.
Sorry I could only scrounge up that stock photo at the moment.

I’m happy to add it, but how would you describe it? (I’m struggling to describe it, I guess I’m not very inspired today…) At the moment I already have (see below). Also, do you think it should have a character modifier? (you can see the ones I’ve already placed there…)

#Standard militia jacket
*set seriousness %+10
*set top_attire "standard militia jacket"
It makes you instantly recognisable as a member of the Free Cities, though other people also wear similar military fatigues.
*goto describe_trousers

#Leather jacket, with a thick black stitching on its left shoulder
*set top_attire “leather jacket”
*set specified_appearance 1
The jacket’s zippers are gone, and it is slightly worn out, yet you identify deeply with it.
*set aggressiveness %+5
*goto describe_trousers

#Spiked leather jacket
*set top_attire “spiked leather jacket”
The metal spikes are a bit worn out, and you’ve had to have it mended a few times, yet you still identify deeply with it.
*set aggressiveness %+10
*goto describe_trousers

#Tactical vest
*set top_attire “tactical vest”
This is a modified version of battle jackets that used to be worn in the Old Times, with a knife attached to it and room for various magazines and ammunition.
*set aggressiveness %+5
*goto describe_trousers

#Brown scoop-neck shirt
*set top_attire “brown scoop-neck shirt”
It is made from a jersey fabric with a subtle ribbed appearance.
*goto describe_trousers

#Motorbike jacket
*set top_attire “motorbike jacket”
It is made of a strong fabric, and despite its worn out appearance, you are rather fond of it.
*goto describe_trousers

#Denim jacket
*set top_attire “denim jacket”
It is made of a strong fabric, and despite its worn out appearance, you are rather fond of it.
*goto describe_trousers

#Long sleeve sweatshirt
*set top_attire “long sleeve sweatshirt”
It has been washed and ironed, and feels very good as you put it on.
*goto describe_trousers

It is mostly not that different from the existing leather options, except in one area, it would be far newer (or at least far less damaged by wear and tear) and like Bernard does the Marshall would keep it as meticulously clean as possible.
Otherwise yeah, it’s just a black leather jacket and trousers.

So, the two new items will be added to the next update (maybe later tonight or tomorrow, depending how I get along with the next scenes I want to start writing). I got the description of the items from a website that talks about mad max clothing, and they give bonus to seriousness and loyalty (if you look like a marshall, it means you want to show it!)

#Shiny black leather Highway Marshall jacket
*set seriousness %+20
*set loyalty %+10
*set top_attire "black leather Highway Marshall jacket"
The jackets have a v-shaped seam across the rear shoulders,
adjustment tabs at the bottom sides, on snaps on the collar, and only one pocket on their right-hand side.
It makes you instantly recognisable as Highway Marshall, though many people wear similar jackets,
or steal them from the corpses of dead Marshalls.
*goto describe_trousers

#Shiny black leather Highway Marshall trousers
*set seriousness %+20
*set loyalty %+10
*set top_attire "black leather Highway Marshall trousers"
The trousers are cut in a general jeans patters, with no above-the-knee seams.
There is only one horizontal pocket on the right-hand side.
*goto describe_boots

This was his Australian Police Uniform … Motorcycle Officer … which is what he was originally.

Yes, great films (though I have to say I though Fury Road was the best of them all, even though I still have some fond memories about Mad Max 2…)

Otherwise, new update is up, completing the scenes of Burgos and Zamora (to complete the weeks, as the final part of the game takes place in “weeks”). Also, I implemented the fuel gauge (so now it just describes the gauge, what do you think about this?)

Minor issues
-Renumber all endings

Which one did you think was the best out of all the Mad Max films?

• Mad Max (1979)
  • Mad Max 2 (1981)
  • Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1984)
  • Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

0 voters