2117: Highway Wars (Submitted, closed)

Work was really busy last few weeks, so it has taken me some time to come back to this. As I said, the game is “finished”, and I am now in the “polishing” phase, though I’m happy to expand slightly according to reader’s suggestions.

Changes
-@Bugreporter, @Jacic bugs you highlighted are corrected.
-Sentences and grammar improved in the later game (much remains to be done on this)

To do list
-Integrate new artwork into the game
-Improve and upload maps (including a screen with all the maps)
-Provide an option to turn on/off artwork
-Renumbering of endings (add more?)
-Increase degree of interaction with Navigator during conquering phase. Increase also interactions with other characters (Teresa, Maria, Zafira). More character development options and choices for them (following @Shoelip’s suggestion)
-Achievements (some have been coded, but many more remain)

Otherwise, many people complain that there are situations when the choices given are limited. Can you tell me which situations feel like that, and how would you like to do?

6 Likes

Oops. At the moment clicking the beta link gets you this:

startup line 58: Invalid *achievement. Title must be 50 characters or fewer: Defeat the allied gangs (Difficulty: Almost Impossible)

As for more options. Well, it’d be cool to have an option not to kill Teresa during the siege when fighting her, mano e mano and all, but I’m not sure how that’d work for the story. It does kinda make sense that the MC could be semi willing to spare her since she was duped into doing this, though I don’t imagine the city would be so forgiving. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to be able to talk her down when you first talk to her or if it’s a guaranteed fail. It would make sense for it to be guaranteed since she’s in the heat of battle, and has no reason to believe you. If you beat her then didn’t kill her though, it’d make more sense for her to listen to reason.

On the topic of Teresa, if you rescue her brother and return him there doesn’t seem to be any closure for her new grudge against Maria. If you save the brother peacefully and actually like Maria (I haven’t managed to unlock the option to flirt with her) it would be kinda strange for you to casually start a feud between Teresa and her by just saying that it was a plot and not trying to keep her from seeking revenge…

1 Like

@Shoelip, ok, I’ll code all that at some point next week, I think it would be nice to offer the possibility to the MC, and make the ending part of the game a bit more complex.

Otherwise, I just corrected the bugs you mentioned, so the game should once again work. Also, I corrected quite a few more sentences, etc.

A small update, no new content(aside from being able to capture Teresa @Shoelip), but many bug fixes, typos corrected, grammar re-structuring, some achievements coded, and improved map in the conquering part

2 Likes

When hiring the mercenary army there’s a small issue where the captain’s name changes for one page.

Lianne smiles. “This’ gonna be fun, Marshall Smith. Let’s get rollin’!”
You lead your little army out of the city walls of Burgos, under the attentive eye of the city’s militia. When you are a few kilometres away, Lianne takes out a map of the area. You begin to inspect it with Judy, who is a bit surprised by the turn of events, but soon warms up to the idea that you will try to pacify the area.

1 Like

@adrao
Spelling error, when skipping to the AIDIAN’s base section.

Choosing: “Maybe there is some use for these men. It’d probably be better to try to capture as many of them as possible”.

However, the shear firepower and speed of the robot assault quickly overwhelms them.

Sheer

Edit
When choosing to terraform Earth, the ending doesn’t have a number.

%%%: SUCCEEDED IN TERRAFORMMING THE PLANET BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL CLIMATE

2 Likes

Actually how did you get that ending?

Do you have to also succeed in the fight at the city?

1 Like

@Jacic
I skipped to the AIDIAN’s base section, then chose these choices:
“It is amazing that you had an army here all this time, and you never used it”
And:
“Wait. If you have the technology to terraform Mars, we could use the same technology to improve the climate on Earth?”

2 Likes

Hmm, wondering if I hit a bug then? Might need to have another look at it because I think that’s similar what I chose (but the terraforming stuff went one way and I went back to the city.) Maybe it depends on other things as well. (The engineer was still alive so maybe I had to take him back?)

3 Likes

Changes
-Corrected many bugs and sentences, so the game should read a bit better in some parts (almost finished with my playthroughs, though I’m sure there are more typos etc around)
@Jacic, let me know if you can’t get to the terraforming part, it works for me (you can take the engineer with you…)
-Started to place some more achievements…

To do list
-Integrate new artwork into the game
-Improve and upload maps (including a screen with all the maps)
-Renumbering of endings (add more?)
-Increase degree of interaction with Navigator during conquering phase. Increase also interactions with other characters (Teresa, Maria, Zafira). More character development options and choices for them (following @Shoelip’s suggestion)
-Closure about the part of the story where Maria walks off (“On the topic of Teresa, if you rescue her brother and return him there doesn’t seem to be any closure for her new grudge against Maria. If you save the brother peacefully and actually like Maria (I haven’t managed to unlock the option to flirt with her) it would be kinda strange for you to casually start a feud between Teresa and her by just saying that it was a plot and not trying to keep her from seeking revenge…”)
-Oil sentences and new turret guy at the end game

2 Likes

Just uploaded new version!

Changes:
-Incorporated new artwork into the game
-Improved maps
-Renumbering of endings

To do list
-Make tab with all the maps
-Closure about the part of the story where Maria walks off (“On the topic of Teresa, if you rescue her brother and return him there doesn’t seem to be any closure for her new grudge against Maria. If you save the brother peacefully and actually like Maria (I haven’t managed to unlock the option to flirt with her) it would be kinda strange for you to casually start a feud between Teresa and her by just saying that it was a plot and not trying to keep her from seeking revenge…”)
-Oil sentences and new turret guy at the end game

5 Likes

Found a minor typo if you set up Burgos as your base after hiring Linnea.

Shovel in hand, Linnea comes to you to remind you the great job that her men are doing at cleaning the sand, and how you now owe them another week of waves.

All in all, you need 900 to cover their waves. You currently have 2520.

waves should be wages.

Another possible bug is that this same event happened four times in a row, draining my entire cash reserve and forcing me to fire all the mercs except the navigator.

Also, for testing purposes do you think it’d be possible to set up a quick start just before you decide what to do to rescue the engineer? Like, having the option to either wait for him to leave or go to the party? That seems like it’s one of the biggest turning points in the game where a lot of choices really open up.

Huh… weird. Found a typo right at the beginning.

Then, warns started. At first they were over long forgotten matters of pride and xenophobia. Then, over the diminishing resources of the planet. Finally, they were even fought over basic commodities such as food and water.

Also, when you get a jackpot, it’s not entirely clear what you won/. It says “200x” but I think that means 200x2?

1 Like

Cheers for those! I just corrected those bugs and typos, and also re-structured quite a few sentences and cleaned some other bugs from the late sections of the game. I also added a link to the entrance to Magaz (hope that helps, it is more difficult to add a link to the middle of that chapter…)

I haven’t had so much time to work on this during the past two weeks, but I’m hoping to finish off re-reading the game one last time, plus adding all those other points in my to do list in the next few weeks.

New version uploaded, correcting some grammar and bugs. I’m almost done with the game now. Will go through it one last time by myself and finish reading all the chapters (almost finished) and submit to CoG (some minor bits to also modify, adding a little bit of dialogue with navigator, etc, but essentially this should be the finished version…)

1 Like

The game won’t start. I get this message:

startup line 191: Invalid achievement name: UNA_colonise_agree

1 Like

Sorry about that! Corrected that bug, and checked that the game now plays!

1 Like

Your eyes are a black.

-There’s something missing after a. Black eyes gets no description unlike other eye colors.

Her finder then moves towards the centre of the map - her finger

-The woman in the dark dress in dice gambling den calls me Sir while my character is a woman.

Alvaro eyes widen even more as you say this, starting to understand the potential consequences of what you are seeing. - Alvaro’s eyes

The cabinet is a rather large metallic object, which has a lock to prevent anybody from opening it. It looks like it has not been opened for quite some time, and there is much dust accumulating on top of it.

Inspect the cabinet in more detail
Decide against opening the cabinet
Smash the lock with your

• Your weapon is missing

You smash the lock with your , which allows you to open the cabinet.

• your weapon is missing
1 Like

I basically played the “kill them with kindness” route, which was deeply satisfying, but toward the end with the Chancellor position it didn’t fill in my name or the title I held.

And through most of the playthrough I met with male pronouns instead of female when I chose female.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into that! But, which branch did you take? Which male pronouns are you talking about? AIDAN’s?

1 Like

@Phoenix_Wolf, @nocturne, corrected all those bugs and errors, about to update them now! Thanks so much for reporting them!

2 Likes